Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:36 PM
American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12:

That’s the date when the nation’s largest ISPs will all voluntarily implement a new anti-piracy plan that will engage network operators in the largest digital spying scheme in history, and see some users’ bandwidth completely cut off until they sign an agreement saying they will not download copyrighted materials.

The content industries calls this scheme a “graduated response” plan, which will see Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Comcast, Verizon, AT&T and others spying on users’ Internet activities and watching for potential copyright infringement. Users who are “caught” infringing on a creator’s protected work can then be interrupted with a notice that piracy is forbidden by law and carries penalties of up to $150,000 per infringement, requiring the user to click through saying they understand the consequences before bandwidth is restored, and they could still be subject to copyright infringement lawsuits.

https://derefer.it/h...eme-on-july-12/

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 02:36 PM
interesting, i want to see a full list of all participating.

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
https://derefer.it/h...copyright-cops/

It sucks to be using one of the big ISPs. Mine was recenlty bought by Time Warner :(

Initially, I suspect it's going to be what they have been doing. RIAA/MPAA will look at peers on their torrents, then send notices to ISP. But this time they already have an agreement on what actions to take, instead of having to file lawsuits to every individual.

I'd stay away from public trackers, which includes Demonoid and PirateBay. And some private trackers have grown so big, that I consider them public also. That is, if not using VPN.

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
ok after digin through 2 sub articals i was finally ale to see that charter was one of the "included" ISP's, i have charter btw.

CTalon

CTalon

Shadowthrone Companion

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:36 AM
  • LocationAustralia
Yes, very interesting. But the key word in the quote appears to me as '..will all voluntarily implement...'
As if anyone would retain there current ISP after recieving a single warning or more, when another available ISP was not implementing this protocol, existed.
In the end money talks, and that is just economics; if these ISP's start losing customers to other non participating providers...how long would they maintain this type of surveillance that could result in punitive warnings, and may lead up to a restricted internet access.
The only thing that could change that is a binding law that forced this on all ISP's.

ruprecht29

ruprecht29

Resident Elder

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • 0 thanks
Wouldn't this be against the constituiton or existing privacy laws?

Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

The only thing that could change that is a binding law that forced this on all ISP's.

If it seems to have any effect, this will eventually happen. -_-
Problem is, for many, there is only one provider in their area.
As for my area, if I was to switch to the only other provider I'd be going from 10Mb cable to 768Kb dsl. -_- I would not be a happy camper.

But this ISP here, hell they contacted my grandma over one torrent about 5 years ago and terminated her service and banned her from ever using their internet service. That was the first and only offense they contacted her about, but it was a torrent I downloaded.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks

...In the end money talks, and that is just economics; if these ISP's start losing customers to other non participating providers...how long would they maintain this type of surveillance that could result in punitive warnings, and may lead up to a restricted internet access.

this is because they are not loosing money, i bet there is incentives in it that the copyright holders give the ISP's for their services.

futz

futz

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:36 PM
Sounds like the Hadopi law in France. Where your torrents get monitored to see if it's copyrighted material and get a notice. You can have 2 strikes, 3rd one will get you banned from the net.
I didn't knew such boring law would come out of France.

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 06:36 PM
WOW, I'm glad I'm not American but if these things do came to be there must be ways to hide that your downloading torrents, using xdcc or DDL from ISPs.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

CTalon

CTalon

Shadowthrone Companion

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:36 AM
  • LocationAustralia
In the end, I suppose you'll have to wait and see what eventually happens...I can only hope that it won't be as draconian as it appears to be.
(Unfortunately after your example Koby, with your grandmother; I have severe reservations on the extent and use/abuse of this new plan that has yet to be implemented)
The only other thing I'd mention is the costs of implementing such proceedures on a grand scale, and maintaining constant monitoring would be huge burden on the ISP's.
Even as you say Cman that there would be incentive from the copyright holder, it could not be sufficient to support and facilitate this incentive (in my opinion)...where would the balance come from goverment, ISP's hiking there rates?
There are a lot of questions, and no answers as yet. All I can say, is to me it appears to be subversive fascism being perpetrated on the citizens of a country supposedly, The land of the free...(I don't want to be taken incorrectly, so disclaimer; there is/was no intention to slander or denigrate the US or its citizens, just my reflection on this new anti-piracy plan)

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

where would the balance come from goverment, ISP's hiking there rates?

Oh god I hope not. It's already outrageous when you think we pay around $60 a month just for 10Mb internet service (and that's after a $90 setup fee initially). :'(

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
Yes, money does talk. That's why these pseudo monopolies are working together. Also paying Obama's administration for assistance.

Wish we followed all other modern civilizations that have an open market, allowing other ISPs to share the network (like the UK). Instead of restricting one cable / tele per area. This is so anti-competition. But makes the few companies wealthy while providing third world tier service. The highest paid CEOs are from the entertainment and telecommunications industry. They keep paying our Govt to keep it that way....even it puts us behind compared to the rest of the world.

Google has to actually lay down their own lines to enter the competition, unlike the others that are using lines that taxpayers built. So I'm rooting for them.

Pooba

Pooba

Meitantei

• Administrators
  • 281 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationU.S.A
I dont understand how the government can allow this also something that should be looked at is if isp/cable providers are considered a public utility,if they are them doing this would be against the law and we the people could sue the helll out of them.

if you live in america the only ways i can think of fighter back is dont buy movies,dvds etc,drop your current provider and go with someone that isnt doing this and get netflix.once this companies start losing money this will stop.but in all this madness some crazy fool may come up with the idea to create a isp that doesnt get involved with this spying.the money that could be made would be insane or just move out the usa and go to canada,this is something i would consider since this country is going to be worthless soon.

cman,could you post me the link of all the companies that are doing this,if this one company isnt on the list ill be switching to them this month

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, AT&T, Charter Communications, and Qwest Communications.

those where all of the ones i found listed on the three different articles i read. but every time they said that they include 2 -3 of those and never gave a full list so even my list could be missing some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users