Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows 8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

Pra7ul

Pra7ul

King of Pirates

• VIP
  • 380 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:22 AM
  • LocationWindmill Village

I... wait, what?

You like the changes Windows 8 is bringing? You're actually the first person I've seen that genuinely seems to do so.

Personally, I can't stand it. Bleh.

Its true that they upgraded their windows 7 a bit

[the better visuals,better managment options and all],

I think it's good and i like everything to be latest in my pc.

The same thing happened last time when they released "Windows 7" everybody was stuck on WinXP,

but once the started using Win7 the all forget about "XP"...

i know this much those who like Windows 7 will also like to use Windows 8.

Pra7ul.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

iqpq.png

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 05:52 PM
  • LocationMichigan, USA

The same thing happened last time when they released "Windows 7" everybody was stuck on WinXP,

but once the started using Win7 the all forget about "XP"...

i know this much those who like Windows 7 will also like to use Windows 8.

Ah, that's not entirely correct.

You're forgetting that utterly horrible mess called Vista that was released between XP and Windows 7.

Posted Image

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 06:52 PM
I was about to say the same, maybe 9 or 10 will be be the next xp/7

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

Pra7ul

Pra7ul

King of Pirates

• VIP
  • 380 posts
  • 0 thanks
vista wasn't worth mentioning... so i kind of ignored that horrible OS

Pra7ul.jpg

iqpq.png

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
but mircrosoft always puts out horrible OS so all in all I am just lumping in 8 with vista, till something else that comes along that is better than 7 I will be lumping them all in with vista

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

Animefan93

Animefan93

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 770 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:52 PM
  • LocationUK
Seriously what is wrong with Vista. I've used it since 2008 till early 2012 and it was good.

animefan93.jpg

7dnghn-5.png

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
What is actually wrong with Vista:
- Driver support was totally garbage, on 90% of the older PC's it was being run it would crash with BSOD's due to untested drivers.
- Compatibility with old Windows apps was poor. Many apps made for Windows XP would no longer work on Windows Vista.
- It's slow as fuck due to too much bloat. If you didn't have the latest hardware at the time with way too much RAM there's no way you would have a smooth running OS with Vista.

Why some people believe Vista is bad:
- They were too used to Windows XP and the way it works. They didn't like the fact that they needed to change so many things in their networks to make everything work again. By the time Windows 7 came out, they've progressed enough to make it all work.
- It adds nothing to Windows XP other than a, as some seem to think, prettier UI.
- The name is retarded.

The same shit will happen with Windows 8. The only people who will use it are those that buy it together with a new PC. That is, if they don't upgrade back to Windows 7, for the start menu. <_<
In any case I see no reason at all to 'upgrade' from Windows 7 to 8. While the only reason most people seem to have had to upgrade from XP to 7 was DirectX10, decent 64-bit support and most importantly the fact that M$ will be stopping support for XP soon. Windows 8 only offers a stupid tablet UI as 'improvement'.

Posted Image

Pra7ul

Pra7ul

King of Pirates

• VIP
  • 380 posts
  • 0 thanks
You should try using Win8 release preview it's been licensed till January ... ,

and it's not as bad as pepole think it is... ,

user experience has been somewhat increased... ,

i know those who have already bought 'Windows 7' would disagree with 'Windows 8'

i agree with your Vista and XP points though...

Pra7ul.jpg

iqpq.png

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 09:52 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia

i know those who have already 'bought' Windows 7 would disagree with Windows 8

FIFY

Pinny, i would not be so quick to assume. Give it a go, I have heard good things. I am also a bit apprehensive but will demo it before I judge it useless to me. Though until I try it and have my views change (or stay the same), it does seem to offer me little extra I want from what I have with Win 7

Posted Image

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
Obviously I've tried the RC (just like with every Windows version before this one) when it came out, else I wouldn't have an opinion about it. :P
Nothing in the actual release of Windows 8 is different. The fact that it'll be missing the start menu, which has been in every Windows for the past 17 years, is the most retarded thing they could've done. We'll probably be seeing unofficial hacks and patches to get it back somehow, but that doesn't change anything. Windows 8 adds nothing to Windows 7 other than this retarded metro UI.

But tbh, it's not so bad.
Because of Windows 8, many OEM's will go out of business since they won't be able to sell their laptops and pre-made desktops with Windows 8 (not to mention the outrageous prices of this piece of shit). Seeing as M$ won't allow them to sell them with Windows 7 anymore, some might even take a step to Linux. This might make more game producers finally look at Linux as well. Valve has already made the initial step and won't stop until they have 2500 games running on Linux. Games are the prime reason people still use Windows nowadays, and the only thing keeping people from using any Linux distro.

So, don't get me wrong, I'm actually glad that M$ forced their shitty tablet UI upon the desktop world. :)

Oh and I would still be using Windows 2000, which was by far the best Windows version ever: stable, fast and awesome for gaming. Sadly M$ forced me to upgrade by stopping their support for it. :(
Something like that also never happens in the Linux world, since you can always upgrade each and every part of your OS (most importantly the kernel) whenever you feel like it, without it changing your user experience in any way.

Posted Image

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
I agree with pinny besides the M$ 2000 part ... never used it as I did not know what a computer was till XP was out (now I am a IT person)

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

Pra7ul

Pra7ul

King of Pirates

• VIP
  • 380 posts
  • 0 thanks
I've never used MS 2000 so i don't know about that Legendary OS..

Everybody has their own opinion well OK ..

i'll be using Windows 8 though ...

Pra7ul.jpg

iqpq.png

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 10:52 PM
@pinny do you use Linux? if so what Linux do you use?
vOEHoGZ.jpg

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks

@pinny do you use Linux? if so what Linux do you use?

I use Gentoo Linux as much as I can. Sadly I'm still stuck to winblows for certain games, so I have them on dual-boot on my PC.

I wouldn't recommend using Gentoo to Linux newbies though, since you have to start from scratch with just a shell and compile all your software. It may take a couple of days to compile a full GUI, depending on your CPU speed/amount of threads.

You'd probably be better off picking Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which have binary packages for everything.

Posted Image

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 704 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:52 AM
  • LocationAustralia

I use Gentoo Linux as much as I can. Sadly I'm still stuck to winblows for certain games, so I have them on dual-boot on my PC.

I wouldn't recommend using Gentoo to Linux newbies though, since you have to start from scratch with just a shell and compile all your software. It may take a couple of days to compile a full GUI, depending on your CPU speed/amount of threads.

Like Archie? Lol Arch linux is also very good, made my old laptop run nicely again. Though it was a minimalistic setup, so the GUI isn't as functioning as those big desktop environments such as KDE.

Posted Image

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
dont use bloted GUIs like KDE, they just bog down the system and use what little mem a computer has (in the case of my 512MB Intel Insperon 1405)

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks

Like Archie? Lol Arch linux is also very good, made my old laptop run nicely again. Though it was a minimalistic setup, so the GUI isn't as functioning as those big desktop environments such as KDE.

Afaik Arch Linux gives you the option of installing packages from source, but can also still use binary packages?
In Gentoo there are only binary packages for the propertiery software. The stage3 installation tarball is also precompiled with generic flags, but you will need to recompile those packages anyway for the best performance.
From what I know Gentoo is the only distro that is completely compiled from source by the end-user.

Posted Image

Sayer

Sayer

ES Force

• Inactive Member
  • 83 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 09:22 AM
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia
Weird. I'm getting the vibe that everyone believes that Windows 8 has no improvements over 7.

http://www.pcworld.c...ance_tests.html
http://www.zdnet.com...marked_p3/20610

I've yet to test it my self but I think I might real soon.

The second half of the video is for you gui haters.

icon_kcp.png 

namaiki

namaiki

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:52 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia.
Windows 8 RTM has been finalised. I hope the DPC latency issue is fixed for me. The audio stutters that I experienced made Windows 8 unusable for me.

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 10:52 PM

Windows 8 RTM has been finalised. I hope the DPC latency issue is fixed for me. The audio stutters that I experienced made Windows 8 unusable for me.

I heard that Windows 8 RTM has leaked on the internet, did anyone get it?
vOEHoGZ.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users