Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows 8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 10:47 PM
Just tried the consumer preview on virtual box (for about 2 hours) don't really know what to make of it, the metro start seems cool but broken, I don't like how the desktop is sort of treated like a application. Also think the old start bar should be there.

Have any of you tried it, if so what did you think?

Will any of you be upgrading to it? (I guess we all will be at some point)

I think when it comes out I may wait a bit and see how it gos.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

crazydart

crazydart

創造者

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:47 PM
  • LocationCalifornia

I think when it comes out I may wait a bit and see how it gos.

That's really a good idea for when Microsoft first releases anything.

Posted Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Local time: 12:47 AM
  • LocationEurope
I wish I could test it, but I have no free harddrive available atm :(
According to some beta reviews I have read, Win8 will bring a lot of changes and new features, but on the other hand, it might also become Microsoft's next experimental OS like Vista was.
So I will also wait a bit when it comes out, but I'm definitely interested in upgrading if it turnes out to be better than Win7.

crazydart

crazydart

創造者

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:47 PM
  • LocationCalifornia
Unless it turns out to be some absolutely amazing OS I don't plan on upgrading until I have to. It looked like it's going to be geared more towards touch devices. I don't really see it having much features, if any, that aren't in Windows 7, and if there are they would be rather inconsequential.

Posted Image

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 987 thanks
  • Local time: 03:47 PM
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia
I haven't tried it out yet myself (although I have a spare, empty SSD lying around I can install in my netbook in a flash) but I'm not sure what to make of the Metro UI. Just seems too... tablet-y. Sure, pictures and youtube vids can only show you so much, so I should give it a quick look.

Hmm. I should do that. C'mere, you Crucial.

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Local time: 12:47 AM
  • LocationEurope
Somehow I think that Win8 is only made for casual users. Touching, shopping, sharing, clouding.
The only improvements that have caught my attention are USB 3.0 support, an option to pool multiple hard drives, automatic back up function and an integrated ISO loader. That's all, but Win8 is also claimed to be extremely reliable, easier to maintain, and much faster than Win7, which would be something that is really important to me.
I just hope that it isn't just marketing blah-blah-blah.

Edit: I just read that Win8 will have an integrated MAC-like "Kill Switch" for Apps and thus, a permanently open back door. I don't like the idea of Microsoft being able to access and control my PC without any notice :serious:
And what about hackers?!

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:47 PM
I jumped on Windows 7 as soon as it was open Beta (while I avoided Vista). But I just haven't seen anything in 8 that sparks my interest. Seems nice for a tablet.

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 704 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:47 AM
  • LocationAustralia
Lol used it for about 2 hours in total. I don't really like it, but I heard once you get used to it, it is a lot better. I hope they have software that can modify it so it suits my desktop PC not tablets.

Posted Image

CTalon

CTalon

Shadowthrone Companion

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 09:47 AM
  • LocationAustralia
I'm with Stsin, I was with XP till Win7 (passed completely on Vista) not interested in Windows 8 (eccon is correct about it contain a backdoor, whether it can be switched off legitamately or not I have no idea) I'll wait and see what the next OS they produce is like before I even think of upgrading again.

FoxesDen

FoxesDen

Red Ribbon Army

• VIP
  • 563 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • Local time: 06:47 PM
  • LocationGreat White North
You don't need a separate HD to install it. You can create a partition off an existing drive. See this article:
How to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 Side By Side

The Metro interface for Windows 8 is meant to function like a tablet, and is just a layer that sits on top of the main OS. It can be minimized to still be basically Windows 7, but with no start menu. Clicking what used to be the start menu takes you back into Metro.

Now try developing for Metro! THAT is a pain in the ass lol! There are a lot of changes and guidelines for that. From looking at developer forums, it seems most developers are staying away from Metro. They make piss-poor excuses for why, but in the end it's because they are too intimidated by the work involved to adapt to it.

Which is good for me! That means less competition for me in the new Metro store. Based on my experience with Apple's Mac Store, this is where all the money will be made!

Lucky for me I also have a pair of touch screens to test with. I bought a pair of 1080p wireless all-in-ones for the bedrooms so I could watch movies and anime from bed, and they just happened to be touch screens (which I didn't really care about at the time). Lucky me now, I don't have to buy a new machine to test the touch interface! ^.^

My take on Metro:

I think Metro is the start of a great idea. I've realized since before the iPad came out that easier-to-use touch devices would be the preferred way of computing in the future. When everybody else mocked the iPad I laughed at them for being so shortsighted. Sure enough, the iPad took off like a rocket, and everybody else was quickly copying them.

Before this decade is out, I bet more consumers will be using touch devices than PCs, and more and more people won't even own a PC. PCs will never disappear of course, but the average person (who is not technically minded, and has no reason to be) will favor the much easier-to-use more intuitive method being employed by touch devices.

Metro won't take off at the start, and of course lots of people will mock it since the fashion nowadays is to complain about everything new, but you can bet that this time it will be Apple (and everybody else) copying Microsoft. Computers need to be more user friendly, and ever since techies fantasized about real-life Star Trek pads it was only a matter of time before science caught up with science fiction. Computers need to evolve to be easier to use by casual users. It only makes sense.
ztor6.jpg

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
^^^ I never thought of that before, I guess more people will use touch devices over PCs as a typical user just uses a PC for Facebook but a lot of casual people still use Microsoft word so I guess touch PC will still have to have a usb for a keyboard as typing with touch screen would take for ever.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

FoxesDen

FoxesDen

Red Ribbon Army

• VIP
  • 563 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationGreat White North
The trend will likely be Windows 8 tablet devices with a dock for keyboard and mouse etc. Microsoft was making a Sumsung prototype (with an i5 processor) of just such a device available for developers. Over time, we should expect to see a big move forward to increase the power and performance of these devices to rival that of current PCs.
ztor6.jpg

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I will wait till it is released then give it a test run.

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 05:47 PM
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I'm not interested in the Metro UI, but I'm pretty sure you can turn it off and go back to something, ah, Windows-y.

Posted Image

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks

I'm not interested in the Metro UI, but I'm pretty sure you can turn it off and go back to something, ah, Windows-y.

You can't turn it off in the consumer preview but people are hopeing you will be able to in the final build (me included). If Microsoft has any sence there will make it optional.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
ok guys I just got a hold of the official release (being a comp sci student at UNCC has its advantages) so I will be installing it in a vm to see how it works I will get back once I check it out

I take that back msdnaa only gave use the consumer preview, I jumped the gun on that, does not warrent me to download it

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:47 PM
Windows 8... Just another bloated Windows version. That and it being completely tablet orientated makes it a pointless release for Windows desktop users.

Also if we follow Micro$oft's Windows strategy since Windows 95 for consumer editions (so no business orientated versions like NT and 2000), then it becomes clear what we can expect from Windows 8 in the long run:
Windows 95(good) -> 98(bad) -> 98SE(good) -> Me(garbage) -> XP(good) -> Vista(bad) -> 7(good) -> 8(garbage!) -> 9(good)
In other words: skip 8 and go straight to 9 :)

For certain Windows games I'm still using XP completely stripped down to it's essentials. For all else I use Gentoo Linux. And if you haven't tried Linux yet, then please do try. Though, be patient while doing so, since it's definitely worth the effort of learning to use it.

Posted Image

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
and that sounds just about right lol

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

Sonics99

Sonics99

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 37 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 03:47 PM
I tried it, metro seems cool but on a desktop seems nothing but broken. I can see it working on a tablet, but it is not intuitive at all and the fact that it expects you to gesture with your mouse as if you were using your finger on a tablet is pure nonsense. Taking the start button away is weird as well and seems to be causing the biggest stink about it right now.

What is really pretty interesting is tablets like the one intel is working on that can run windows 8 metro when used as a tablet and can switch to a full version of windows 7 seamlessly to finish things that were started on the tablet side with a keyboard or when docked.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSydney, Australia
So many wankers with their stupid touchscreen all-in-one PCs will be using windows 8... god i had that computer design... so...casual user and overpriced

Edit: Sorry if anyone here uses them!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users