Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is Anime Getting Worse?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:59 AM

the age makeup of the One Piece readers says differently:

10-18 years old 12%
19-29 years old 43%
30-49 years old 32%
50+ years old 13%

These figures about the manga don't say a whole lot about the anime.
I have no idea what the differences are between the manga and the anime, but the anime is totally made for kids. I've watched every single ep of both Fairy Tail and One Piece, and for comparison a LOAD of other anime, so trust me I know when an anime is childish or not.

Posted Image

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:59 AM
I do trust that you know what is childish or not. As in I trust those that believe all anime are childish. One would be just fooling themselves if they think they can actually change such personal opinions.

So it's silly to try convince anyone that it's not childish. Just saying for those that haven't seen most of One Piece, that it has a huge readership among adults. Numbers don't lie. Decide for yourself. One can say it's mostly adults that like this type of childish anime ;)

One Piece anime is the closest to the manga of any series I've watched. Oda oversees that. Though it does have fillers, it's fillers are actually enjoyable and may not be noticeable unless read the manga.

edit:

Made me start to think why adults like this anime. It could be that this series doesn't feel added on as it goes along, since most everything has already been planned out by Oda. Saying he's never going to change the ending. There's plenty of foreshadowing. Many seemingly insignificant characters you meet at the beginning is a major force 300 episodes later. He doesn't seem to leave anyone out, which is huge feat with the number of new characters they consistently meet.

With the current times and recent incidents, it may be the anti-government theme:

The world is not black and white. The government protecting the people has plenty of skeletons and not so good intentions. They use the Marines to enforce their rule, yet even with them, either follow their own moral justice or absolute justice. And of course the pirates are of all varieties. Luffy doesn't want to be the Pirate King to rule over others, but to become free.

Then there's an abundance of hilarious comedy,
http://www.youtube.c...VjRWWAYI#t=410s

which can quickly turn into a serious drama:

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 06:59 AM
I watch a lot of new animes some that come to my head are Naruto shippuden, one piece, haruhi, k-on depending on what you class as old. Recently started watching Toriko thats really good.

Also One Piece has a lot of scenes in the anime, that I think children would not understand.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks
Anime is deteriorating because it is becoming more and more insular, nowdays you would think that anime is just being made for the creepy japanese otakus.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:59 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Japanese 'otaku' culture has lead to amazing things like the moe of K-On!, Maid Cafes (Which is so bizarre and awesome) and some great ecchi comedys.
Of course there have been many failures too. But then look at the impact of Japanese horror on American horror film industry. Japanese horror is amazing (and horror films are very low on my preference list) yet it impacted American horror film industry in such a negative way, that most things are not worth watching. It is easy to place the blame on the Jap Horror side, but it would be more appropriate to place it on collective viewing audience with low standards rather then a film movement. Same with anime, it is not 'otaku' culture but rather the collective viewing audience of anime with low standards. Although there are other factors, and many of them. I would suggest that as an art or media form ages, the increase of content has a direct relationship and impact with a decrease in overall quality.

Examples outside of anime would include, normal cartoons, games shows, sit comes, cooking show, talent shows, Zombie movies,
Then it also exists in the gaming industry, look at FPSs over the last 10 years, there are so many more titles and so many more of them are shit.
Books are the same, teen/young adult books post Harry Porter, post Twilight as recent examples (I am sure may of you hate the books or the idea of them, but as a very very big reader, they are not bad: original story, postmodern concepts, i will skip the critic, but overall they are good books, well the first few). Same goes for the Sci-Fi explosion in the 1950s onwards.
etc
etc

There is still just as much good being made, it is just tarnished be the flood of mediocre content to fill the desires of a collective (thus generalized) viewing audience - ergo my hypothesis: as an art or media form ages, the increase of content has a direct relationship and impact with a decrease in overall quality.

This does confer with you statement of anime becoming insular :P

Posted Image

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks

amazing
K-On!

Does not compute...

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks

Most of the recent "fantasy" themed anime contain more boobies than dragons and magic.

http://en.wikipedia....amiliar_of_Zero

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:59 PM
But it is a harem and romantic comedy. Harem being the key word

Posted Image

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
Zero no Tsukaima is a prime example of a Fantasy anime that is more about boobies than anything else. Or in this case centering around Louise's lack of it.

Posted Image

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:59 PM
Never really got around to replying to a lot of this back in the day. I'd like to say a few things though.

First of all, DragoonKain, as everyone said, your post was wonderful. Informative, witty, and the rest. 100% agree with the mantra, that's what I'm in this for, the potential as an artistic medium, and the few times some of this potential is realised, it is truly beautiful. The financial explanations were very interesting, and, I believe, coincide with the earlier comments I made about anime becoming more "safe". I think Anime is pretty insular, as baldur said. There are definitely major exceptions, Shinichiro Watanabe is a big one, but anime in general does not try to cater to wider audiences, it is a bit niche. Also, DragoonKain, I checked out some of the blogs you linked to, has been a while now since I read them, but I remember enjoying them rather a lot, so congrats there.

All this said, I still don't exactly agree. There are still lots of standouts, true 'artists', that won't conform to the times. Ikuhara Kunihiko, my God, that man. I am yet to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena, but it is damn high on my to-watch list after watching Penguindrum. DragoonKain, if you haven't watched Mawaru Penguindrum yet, watch it. It is everything that mantra you posted is about. It is a bold artistic statement, and I don't think it is an exaggeration to call it game-changing. That there are people putting themselves so far out, doing things so differently, in such an economic climate, is enormously hopeful. Madoka isn't as much of a revolution of the medium, but it is great, and thoroughly worth checking out if you haven't. I could list a bunch of other recommendations, but those are two of the biggest standouts for me, and heaps of people on this thread have already posted heaps of recent shows they thought were great.

Also, on another note, I never really thought Evangelion was as great as people said it was, I thought it was obtuse and pretentious, though certainly with some great elements. I was also never a fan of the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs, though I love the original series to bits, but I have had similar experiences regarding outgrowing series and the like, so I totally get where you're coming from there. I think it's worth remembering, though, that anime is still a pretty young medium. It's going through a lot of growth, and that means some rough phases.

As far as comedies go, most shows labelled comedy are reliably unfunny, but so is most prime time tv, so I'm not sure it's just a Japanese thing. Arakawa Under the Bridge was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, and it did it all while providing some real social commentary with this wonderful undercurrent of parody that never let it take itself too seriously.

To sum up, there're enough true visionaries, and genuinely great shows coming out to keep my hopes up despite a lot of dreck, and a general fatigue of childishness. The gems are still worth the search for me.
Posted Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

mercer1028

mercer1028

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:59 AM
I don't think anime is deteriorating, I just think it's getting lazy and more standardized. We have to remember what is conveyed visually is also important as these are animated. To this day, I havent seen an anime that comes close to mirroring the visual splendor that is 1995's Ghost in the Shell (which is why the revamped 2.0 wasn't popular). Not the Rebuild of Evangelion, not Redline, and not even Gundam Unicorn--which I thought were impressive. Maybe it's just me but I find something organic and aesthetic to anime on film. This is one of the reasons why I favor 90's anime. I can look at the cover of an anime from the 90's and feel something and recall every moment of the series in the flash of a second, something I can't do with anime created with modern digital rendering and CGI. Unfortunately this "gift" also applies to DBZ and earlier seasons of InuYasha

As for storylines, a lot of today's plots are generic and redundant. However, I've been watching anime since the mid 90's, so I tend to give most anime I come across the chance to change my mind. I find that few anime actually does this. When first watching DRRR!, I liked it. It was mysterious and had a dark tone. But, like most high school animes it resolved itself in the most cliche of ways. It's like what the OP said, a lot of the plot lines in current anime are "too safe." This is one of the things I fear will have an influence in the Rebuild of Evangelion series. We might end up with something intended to placate younger audiences rather than portray the profound psychological confusion that made both endings of the original series so great. Maybe I should just concede that anime will never mean as much to me today, as it did to me when I was younger.

Skate101

Skate101

Genin

• Inactive Member
  • 65 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:29 PM
  • LocationIndia
Well as far as animation quality is concerned only series I am not satisfied with would be naruto shippuuden ... considerning how popular it is the art work isn't that awesome ...
"Anime is my anti-drug. Because when you're addicted to anime, how can you possibly afford drugs?".....
Ginta Toramizu

M.A.L

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users