Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is Anime Getting Worse?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 02:43 AM
wow... that is one of the best post i have even seen posted on AnimePassion, congrats. i would give you an award if we had one to give, amazing post.

Mallory

Mallory

Keyblade Wielder

• Administrators
  • 290 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:43 AM

wow... that is one of the best post i have even seen posted on AnimePassion, congrats. i would give you an award if we had one to give, amazing post.

Yeah....that's my boyfriend for ya. ;P

Read that blog too, it's quite funny. He's made me read them all lolol.

Posted Image

"One Sky, One Destiny"

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:43 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Japanese language is so much more simpler then English! Their writting system(s) though...

A lot of what you said is true, however i feel that there is certainly anime being trageted towards the older audiance. Not as much, but the marketing people must realise that there are people who have been watching anime for the last 20 years and will continue to do so, if their tastes are accomidated. A niche market, but a market nonetheless. You do mention the josei at the end of your post, but i can imagine people might over look it!

Then of course there will always be the rare great series still being made, sadly it does appear the crap is ad abundantiam.

If only I can get my signficant other to be into anime to get her here.... Failed with minecraft, still have not given up on anime!

Posted Image

shuurin

shuurin

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:43 AM
  • LocationCaptured in world of anime!

Anime has in many times proven that its main goal is to attempt to convey what cannot be conveyed in other mediums. It wants to reach deeper strings that a live-action series will not show, or that a novel will have a hard time conveying. Many want to take the artistic bounds of other artistic mediums and smash them using anime as their hammer. Boiling down “greatness” to simply meaning “looks cool when I buy her as a figurine for my collection” is the epitome of bad fandom and is a disrespect to the truly great artists out there.

Get back to that mantra and I'll get back to watching.

Signed!

Edited by Cover350, 30 December 2011 - 12:44 PM.

DragoonKain

DragoonKain

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationWeatherford, OK

I'll just give myself a warm pat on the back, then. ;)

I'm glad it was enjoyed and not taken the "wrong way" so to speak. On the inside I'm still a big fan of anime and I want to see it succeed.

Japanese language is so much more simpler then English! Their writting system(s) though...

My opinion of Japanese was that even the language itself tended to be difficult. Now in the first year it's very simplistic and they're clearly trying not to "scare off" the students. However, you've already got a rude awakening just going from a SVO language (like English) to an SOV language. However, Japanese adds a few snake bites on top of that with overtly complex conjugations. Not only do your verbs have to be conjugated to tense *and* level of politeness, but so do your adjectives and adverbs. Also, there's an insane level of situational awareness required in Japanese not required in many other languages (i.e. information is frequently left out to context that in other languages is always present).

The writing system is definitely another seven headed beast, though. It's the reason why the CIA considers Japanese to be in the top 5 hardest languages in the world. :)

English has some funny rules but people overlook the fact that English is actually a hybrid monster of Latin, Germanic, and a multitude of other roots. If you *know* anything about the roots it comes from you can actually derive a lot of where those strange rules come from. This actually helps foreigners learn the vocabulary a bit easier than they might otherwise, whereas there is no "base-language" to derive from for Japanese (unless you count the very minor lexicon similarities carried over from Korean).

A lot of what you said is true, however i feel that there is certainly anime being trageted towards the older audiance. Not as much, but the marketing people must realise that there are people who have been watching anime for the last 20 years and will continue to do so, if their tastes are accomidated. A niche market, but a market nonetheless. You do mention the josei at the end of your post, but i can imagine people might over look it!

Then of course there will always be the rare great series still being made, sadly it does appear the crap is ad abundantiam.

Josei is somewhat of a saving grace here and we have a lot to owe the older Japanese women for this. They've created a sustainable market and they put pressure on the content producers to ensure that the content is mature enough to fill their needs.

We do still get the occasional maturely themed anime too; Monster is the best example I can think of in recent years.

If only I can get my signficant other to be into anime to get her here.... Failed with minecraft, still have not given up on anime!

Does she like Disney movies? You could entrance with her a couple of old school Ghibli flicks. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a great "jumping off" point as well (don't even consider chuckling at that pun). I find movies are a much easier pill to swallow for people who aren't into the medium -- a 2 hour long wrapped up experience is much less of a commitment than a 30+ hour TV series.

shuurin

shuurin

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

It's the reason why the CIA considers Japanese to be in the top 5 hardest languages in the world. :)

Interesting. Do you have a link to the list?

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
I found the verbal part of Japanese very simple to understand, I just have to try and remember my verbs, adjectives and nouns... Shocking at that, my major failings in learning languages! The syntax just seems more reasonable then Latin based languages; the relatively small collection of sounds as well as the fact that it is agglutinative and mora-timed, it makes learning it easier (to me). The particular use of vocabulary and honorifics based on formality, familiarity and social status is rather straight forward, though I do agree it adds a level of complexity. However, simpler in nature, English has parallels.

I plan to do just that. However, she just wants to watch something else or 'does not have enough time'. As soon as she caves in; Ghibli!

Posted Image

DragoonKain

DragoonKain

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationWeatherford, OK

Interesting. Do you have a link to the list?

I was a little bit off, it's not the CIA. It's actually the US State Department's Foreign Service Institute (which the CIA references in regards to their language training). The institute classifies 4 common languages as "super-hard" (seriously, that's what they call it -- AKA "Category 4") for English speakers to learn: Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Arabic and of these Japanese is classified as the hardest to learn. (Current Source: Wikipedia) If you're interested in more information or are dubious of the Wikipedia source, feel free to Google around for more information there. I also found a forum post where someone kindly listed the general categories for most common languages here, but I haven't dug for the original source on that.

I found the verbal part of Japanese very simple to understand, I just have to try and remember my verbs, adjectives and nouns... Shocking at that, my major failings in learning languages! The syntax just seems more reasonable then Latin based languages; the relatively small collection of sounds as well as the fact that it is agglutinative and mora-timed, it makes learning it easier (to me). The particular use of vocabulary and honorifics based on formality, familiarity and social status is rather straight forward, though I do agree it adds a level of complexity. However, simpler in nature, English has parallels.

I plan to do just that. However, she just wants to watch something else or 'does not have enough time'. As soon as she caves in; Ghibli!

That's awesome! I definitely found it much more innately difficult (which is probably why I ended up dropping it entirely after a while). You are right that the restricted set phonemes makes learning some of the vocabulary a lot easier (though in some ways it can also make it harder -- Japanese has a lot of homonyms and similar sounding words). It sounds like you have a knack for it and I hope you keep going with your endeavors there. Do you plan on making some kind of career out of the language study or are you simply doing it as a hobby? I always did better in Japanese when I found it fun. When I switched over to going to Georgia State, which had a much harder Japanese program, they somewhat robbed the fun out of it and my knack for the language magically started to dwindle.

shuurin

shuurin

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

(Current Source: Wikipedia) If you're interested in more information or are dubious of the Wikipedia source, feel free to Google around for more information there. I also found a forum post where someone kindly listed the general categories for most common languages here.

Thank you for the links.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks

That's awesome! I definitely found it much more innately difficult (which is probably why I ended up dropping it entirely after a while). You are right that the restricted set phonemes makes learning some of the vocabulary a lot easier (though in some ways it can also make it harder -- Japanese has a lot of homonyms and similar sounding words). It sounds like you have a knack for it and I hope you keep going with your endeavors there. Do you plan on making some kind of career out of the language study or are you simply doing it as a hobby? I always did better in Japanese when I found it fun. When I switched over to going to Georgia State, which had a much harder Japanese program, they somewhat robbed the fun out of it and my knack for the language magically started to dwindle.

My focus is Sociology, I plan on focusing on Japan in most grad research later on future. First i want to learn more of the language, which is what im trying to do at the moment. Though when i caome back from Japan in Feb., i plan to do some. Future career wise, research into anime culture of course, but something more realistic is religion(online>consumer culture, hyperreal [my prof. area http://en.wikipedia....i/Adam_Possamai ] it is so cool, love that stuff, already done a paper on a lack of online religious activity with Asian faiths so fun writting it )is maj in Japan, the paralles between them. I think i had to much to drink... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! half an hour to go here!

The other think i would like to do is become a paramedic, then go to japan and get into their ambulance serivde policy making... their system is so shit, serioulsy a child can organise it better, improves on to service, patient handling, drug adminstration.. etc etc. Japanese would be important for that to.

YAY Japanese!! more DRINK!!! i just got spanked by my gf

Posted Image

Mallory

Mallory

Keyblade Wielder

• Administrators
  • 290 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:43 AM

My focus is Sociology, I plan on focusing on Japan in most grad research later on future. First i want to learn more of the language, which is what im trying to do at the moment. Though when i caome back from Japan in Feb., i plan to do some. Future career wise, research into anime culture of course, but something more realistic is religion(online>consumer culture, hyperreal [my prof. area http://en.wikipedia....i/Adam_Possamai ] it is so cool, love that stuff, already done a paper on a lack of online religious activity with Asian faiths so fun writting it )is maj in Japan, the paralles between them. I think i had to much to drink... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! half an hour to go here!

The other think i would like to do is become a paramedic, then go to japan and get into their ambulance serivde policy making... their system is so shit, serioulsy a child can organise it better, improves on to service, patient handling, drug adminstration.. etc etc. Japanese would be important for that to.

LOL. Wow, yeah judging from that post and the abundance of typos, I'm pretty sure you had too much to drink. XD sadly new years will be spent with my non-drinking family so we won't be getting drunk. :(

Posted Image

"One Sky, One Destiny"

shuurin

shuurin

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

xD

This post made my day. I just wish, I could see your face, when you've sobered up and read this again. ;P

Edited by Cover350, 31 December 2011 - 06:28 PM.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
:blushing:

LOL. Wow, yeah judging from that post and the abundance of typos, I'm pretty sure you had too much to drink. XD sadly new years will be spent with my non-drinking family so we won't be getting drunk. :(

It was not too much, just the perfect amount! It was only my typing skills affected... :thumbsup:

Hope your NYE is still enjoyable!

xD

This post made my day. I just wish, I could see your face, when you've sobered up and read this again. ;P

No point in editting it I guess... Drink was a part of it though I was also constantly interrupted while typing it!

Posted Image

shuurin

shuurin

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
@Zachimillius: No need to be ashamed. Your post wasn't that bad. I was just caught off guard by its (somewhat) random content (religion, paramedics), especially by "YAY Japanese!! more DRINK!!! i just got spanked by my gf". :D

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Ahh, yes my career ideas. Little different, but so awesome! I was spanked for being on here :P

Posted Image

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:43 AM
Anime is definitely getting worse.
I haven't seen a single decent fantasy/adventure anime in quite some years.
Anime like Record of Lodoss War and Slayers are pretty much extinct.
Most of the recent "fantasy" themed anime contain more boobies than dragons and magic.

And most of the other stuff is all high school orientated. I guess this is pretty normal since anime in itself is geared towards teens.
But still, isn't the whole point of animation to draw stuff that is impossible to see in real life? So give me back my dragons and sorcerers! <_<

Posted Image

shuurin

shuurin

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

Most of the recent "fantasy" themed anime contain more boobies than dragons and magic.

If you want to watch an anime with dragons and magic, I recommend Fairy Tail. There are boobie shots as well, but all in all, I'd say dragons/magic ≥ boobies in Fairy Tail. ^_^

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:43 AM
Yeah I'm watching that, but it's just a bit too childish, like One Piece. The setting is pretty nice though, but all the fighting and shounen elements just bore me.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
I got to episode 65 I think, then stalled it. It was to much of the same thing over and over again to warrant more downloading, and your are right, it is a bit childish! Though, I still very much enjoyed it.

Don't be dissing them boobs!

Posted Image

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
Hey, don't be bashing my One Piece :/

I agree with the book that DragoonKain wrote. Especially, that I have changed. Maybe just not myself, but my experience with anime over the years has changed my expectations of it? NGE was the best when I first watched it, and I've rewatched it over and over back then. Was it because it was different? Don't know, but after the many years of seeing many anime with similar situations filled with angst, it has started to become the same ole. But I still quite enjoy the new movies.

Now lets look at One Piece. When I first started it, it was during the same time as Naruto, Bleach, including some old shounen, like Kenshin and Ippo. After a few arcs, I dropped One Piece and continued with the others. Well, they were great till the fillers started, which forced me to drop them to go back later. So after the fillers ended, like when Shippuden started. I found myself just not as excited as once was and eventually stopped following them too out of boredom. I thought my shounen days were over..then found Cross Game. Not a fighter like the others, but it kept me glued to the screen marathoning one episode after another. Great series. With my renewed interest in shounen, I started watching Fairy Tail. I thought it was great once I got going with it and marathoned it till I caught up. Still needing my fix, decided to go back to One Piece, since it's quite similar. So it seemed. I obviously have changed since I've last seen it, because the stories were more interesting to me this time around. And I seemed to have stopped just before it got really good. But unlike before, the fights don't interest me like they once did (until the timeskip), and it's the drama, comedy, and camaraderie that excites me. After catching up with One Piece, my opinion of Fairy Tail changed. Once thinking it was also great became boring to keep up with the latest episodes. I'll say this, One Piece does get better as it goes on which is quite the opposite for other long running series. Is it only for kids? the age makeup of the One Piece readers says differently:

10-18 years old 12%
19-29 years old 43%
30-49 years old 32%
50+ years old 13%

http://www.animenews...yers-are-adults
I'm one of the adults that have become a One Piece fan and worship Oda.
(Please don't watch the dub)

Whenever I get obsessed with a good show, it takes a lot for other shows to interest me. Which does make the rest seem to have gone downhill. Partly why I took a break from them recently. And yea, have long gotten bored with the typical high school fanservice shows...but it may come around again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users