Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BakaBT and Elfen Lied Upscale

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 02:59 AM
good one sayer

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

Xtras

Xtras

Baka Extraordinaire

• Inactive Member
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:59 AM
Here's my thing with filesize:
Right now I have two 1TB externals filled with anime, and a third that is about half full. If I cared not at all for space, I would download all of the series off Asian DVD Club instead and get the straight disc images, since then that would be effectively perfect quality. I estimate that to contain that, my 3 externals would multiply into somewhere around 10, possibly more. Now lets consider this. I paid an average of about 70$ for each one. Downloading them with no regard to size would have increased the money I spent from a total of $210 to $700. Now for that $490 extra what did I get? DTS-HD instead of FLAC? Fewer artifacts? At what point are you willing to pay?

Then you have the issue of seeders. I have a 100 GB seedbox. If I'm on a site with decent encodes, I could probably seed 12-15 blu ray movies at a time. If they were remuxes though, they'd be around 20 GB each, so I could seed 5. Consider what that does to your seeder pools across the span of a few thousand people. Torrent health goes to hell inevitably.

there is one show that is over 131gb for just 1 series
so dont give us that crap I see big file sizes from the big groups.
SO STOP CONTRAINDICATING YOURSELVES AND GIVE US A STRAIGHT FUCKING ANSWER I AM TIRED OF DEALING WITH YOUR WISHY WASHY LOGIC

If you are going to say no to a big file size then say no to all the big ones not "unless they are from big encoding names like coalgirls"

Fine, listen then, and I'll give you straight answers.:
1. That 131 GB torrent wasn't taken. The highest we have is 65 GB and that is because it is a FLAC torrent of every Final Fantasy OST except the very recent ones.

2. I'll say it again, quality doesn't amount to just who has the higher bitrate video. It is about whether or not each gig that went into that file is used well. My little sister could take a disc and rip it with untouched video. If you are counting number of artifacts, that would be the best but at a huge size. That doesn't make it higher quality than a release by an encoder who broke his back trying to find a good balance between video and file size. I respect the work and creativity that went into making an encode a balance between video, audio, and subs with still a respect given to space. THAT, is quality. Cman and BluDragon themselves have shown it for certain releases.

3. We don't give any preference to big groups at all. Hell they're probably pissed off at us too. Plenty of rejections for Coalgirls, THORA, Doki etc. I'm pretty sure both Kristen and Daiz think I'm ass as well. I'm fairly certain most founders have plenty of their share of complaints with BakaBT, and rightfully so. I don't like it, but anime communities spawn trolling and flames. A few mods can't do much about that. Nobody likes seeing their offer rejected but ultimately someone has to be the bad guy and say, "we'll take this instead". If we didn't do that, BBT wouldn't have the seeder pools it does.

Point being, fags need to stfu and stop being ignorant. Don't get too technical. Upscale or not, it's still better.

You're absolutely right. BakaBT DOES take upscales, if they're good. That second comparison screenshot showed that Cman was right to sharpen the video, that much even Daiz and the users mentioned. The question is, was it too much? Since I can sit here and chat with Cman, and he's still very active, can we get something better? Notice we DIDN'T reject that offer. All we did was force people to shut up about it.

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
you guys rejected all of mine when I posted them some did not even have a reason

Edit: I am done messing with bakabt, just like its name implies I idiot bit torrent, I will leave that place and rid my hands of such a place

but one last question why you set rules and regulations that encoders have to follow, if all they are doing is using the time that they spend that they are working on the encodes for worrying about is this series going to make idiot's cut or not. I should not think so. My opinion on this matter is that having rules and regulations that encoders HAVE to follow in order to distribute their hard work IS ABSOLUTELY BOGUS. I mean come on its not like you are using your own hard drives to host this stuff now is it, the encoders seed there stuff from there computer, your site is just the middle man, if I could cut out the middle man myself then I would but I can not at this moment

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
ok guys please stop the flame war. just because Xtras is a mod at BakaBT doesnt mean he personally had anything to do with anything what got approved or rejected. and venting your frustration out on him will not change the minds of the people there. really i know you guys are better and do not have to stoop down the the level of some on BakaBT.

the fact of the matter is that they did not flat out reject my encode and just locked out commentators to keep the flames from going wild. they are actually PMing me about trying to meet somewhere in the middle. so please stop venting your frustration at a system that Xtras can not control and move on.you do not have to have your stuff posted there to continue doing what you enjoy. have fun and enjoy what you make and share it with others without having to even think about what "they" might think. i know i personally have had 0 interests with BakaBT until just recently. you can enjoy what you do without BakaBT and their members harsh words of criticism.

Since I can sit here and chat with Cman, and he's still very active, can we get something better?

what do you mean by this Xtras? if you wanna talk about something send me a PM and i'll gladly co-operate. also please ignore some of the comments here they are just venting their frustration at the system on you and you do not have to feel obligated to answer any of them

FoxesDen

FoxesDen

Red Ribbon Army

• VIP
  • 563 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationGreat White North
Xtras, you are quite the diplomat. And I mean that in a sincere way. (Just to be clear I mean it as a compliment!) So much rudeness and butt-hurt on both sides of the fence lol. Glad I don't have your job! ;)

Even if BakaBT rejects Cman's Elfen Lied upscale, I don't think it's a reason to get upset. Personally, I'd rather it be a bit over-sharpened than the "natural" look that makes me think I need glasses. But not everybody feels the same way.

Although I strongly disagree with them, it's not their opinion that bothers me so much as the bullshit they come up with to back it up. If they take issue with the sharpness, say so and leave it at that. But don't try to sound smart by spouting nonsense that just isn't true.

Even worse are the people who basically just say, "Upscale = rejected" with no reason and who probably never even so much as looked at a screenshot. If you're just going to mimic what the "big boys" say without knowing what you're talking about, do everyone a favor and just shut up.

Putting a lot of time into an encode then having it turned down hurts, but BakaBT has rules for a reason. Otherwise there'd be no reason for them to exist and we would just all use Nyaa. As for the snobs, well, there's a reason why I don't hang out in some forums.

They can't accept everything, and they can't make everybody happy. But seeing as everybody wants their encodes on their site so badly they must be doing something right. So please let's not make things more difficult then they need to be.
ztor6.jpg

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 01:59 AM
  • LocationMichigan, USA
This thread hurts my head.

Apparently a lot of people here vehemently hate BakaBT, which I can understand.

But while you may have every reason to be pissed off and want to flame, don't do it here. You know very well that we frown on stuff like that.

Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
I don't care for BakaBT because they have this whole 'elitism' attitude going on and I often do not believe their choices for release to be the best option. On top of that they never seen to have anything I want before I get it. As in everything they end up with I've either already got it or got a better release of it. On top of that it's extremely fricken hard to seed anything, seriously. The last 5 torrents I've grabbed from there seeded 0 kb. There is always seeders but no leechers for the shit I try to grab and as such I try not to download there unless I absolutely have to so that I won't lower my ratio too low to cause me to get banned.

If anyone has any help/suggestions on how to up my ratio with seeding shit let me know because apparently either I suck at this or there just isn't enough leechers compared to seeders.

*EDIT: Also how does an unofficial xvid release of my work get accepted, when I released it with better typesetting and in h264?
http://bakabt.com/de...s.php?id=152742

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Dragon80

Dragon80

Meitantei

• Trusted Encoders
  • 241 posts
  • 74 thanks
this topic should make us find a way to get the animepassion tracker up and running. once the tracker is up we would have one of the better anime sites on the net. it would be a combo of bakabt and asain dvd club. with the freedom to anything you like to in the form of anime & cartoon's. dvd upscales to bluray remuxes. it would become my main torrent site of choose for releases. im pretty sure that the animepassion encoders have a big enough fan base to get new members to join up.

Xtras

Xtras

Baka Extraordinaire

• Inactive Member
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:59 AM

*EDIT: Also how does an unofficial xvid release of my work get accepted, when I released it with better typesetting and in h264?
http://bakabt.com/de...s.php?id=152742

I actually don't know what happened there. It is possible that the staffers just didn't know that it was a re-encode of your version. If you are interested in replacing that with your real version, could you send me a download source? I'll see if I can get Takeshi to replace it. Sorry about that.

you guys rejected all of mine when I posted them some did not even have a reason

Edit: I am done messing with bakabt, just like its name implies I idiot bit torrent, I will leave that place and rid my hands of such a place

but one last question why you set rules and regulations that encoders have to follow, if all they are doing is using the time that they spend that they are working on the encodes for worrying about is this series going to make idiot's cut or not. I should not think so. My opinion on this matter is that having rules and regulations that encoders HAVE to follow in order to distribute their hard work IS ABSOLUTELY BOGUS. I mean come on its not like you are using your own hard drives to host this stuff now is it, the encoders seed there stuff from there computer, your site is just the middle man, if I could cut out the middle man myself then I would but I can not at this moment

I wasn't staff back then so I can't tell you for sure. If you are curious though, give me an example of something you offered and I could probably guess at a reason or give you some kind of idea as to what the deal was.

And no, we don't pretend that we have some magical authority to tell encoders what to do. If an encoder does take suggestions from us, then that is both respectable and uncommon. If an encoder makes certain decisions, that is purely their choice and I certainly don't think any skilled encoder is going to tailor his technique around some random tracker. That said the site is ours, and we are free to do whatever we like with it. Our choice isn't any more right or wrong, but we're there for a specific type of release just like ADC.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

I actually don't know what happened there. It is possible that the staffers just didn't know that it was a re-encode of your version. If you are interested in replacing that with your real version, could you send me a download source? I'll see if I can get Takeshi to replace it. Sorry about that.

I'd have to reupload it as all the mirrors of the release have died out with the whole file host fiasco and I never actually made a torrent for the release.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:59 AM
On Cman's Elfen Lied upscale: It's not even possible to compare this to any other release by some caps alone. So I quickly re-downloaded it again (I deleted it before, but I forgot why), and compared it to AKH-Anisubs.
Starting at the OP: The static images MOVE (it pains my eyes). You can also see lots of sharpening artifacts everywhere (around the credits for example) and the camera panning does not seem to go smoothly. In the AKH-Anisubs release these things aren't as bad.
Ep1: The AKH release has some banding, Cman's release does not, which is nice. Other than that Cman's release felt more sharpened when watching, although sometimes to the point where character lines looked too fat. And this is kinda what I don't like, since it's changing the original source too much.
But most importantly and I'm amazed I've seen no comments of this... the subs: Cman's has awful typesetting and some lack of signs, whereas AKH is simply perfect. If it weren't for a simple remux that could fix that, I would choose the latter for that reason alone.

Seeing as I watch a lot of old anime, I can simply enjoy watching stuff from bad sources without any visual enhancements, you get used to the quality in just a couple of minutes. What you CAN'T do is add details which weren't there to begin with. You shouldn't encode something to the point where it start looking different from the actual source, since the creator obviously did not intend for people to watch it like this. It feels the same as watching badly upscaled blu-ray releases.

So I guess I can understand most of BakaBT's reasoning. And I dislike their elitist attitude as much as anyone else.

Posted Image

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationDenmark
I see the panning problem in the OP, but I cannot see the (painfully) moving static pictures, but I am downloading another the AHK release to compare them.

On another note: I fucking love that OP, everything from the beautiful animation to the song, it is fantastic!
Imagine, if you will, a beautiful field full of flowers; bluebells, daffodils, tiger lilies... Every kind of blossom you can imagine, bringing a wonderful conflagration of color into a world which is otherwise dull and dark. Now, imagine that every one of those flowers is planted on the body of a tormented soul that died in agony (probably undeservedly), and will never know the true afterlife.

In life, they became florists because they love flowers, but here, a flower is a symbol of pain, of death within death. Their conflicting feelings build and build, and they become quite mad.

You are not a florist! You are a manufacturer of weapons!

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks

If anyone has any help/suggestions on how to up my ratio with seeding shit let me know because apparently either I suck at this or there just isn't enough leechers compared to seeders.

if you got a seedbox just snag the first freeleach with the most leachers. that is what i did and i have a 3.7

Starting at the OP: The static images MOVE (it pains my eyes). You can also see lots of sharpening artifacts everywhere (around the credits for example) and the camera panning does not seem to go smoothly. In the AKH-Anisubs release these things aren't as bad.

those sharpening artifacts are mostly compression artifacts on the DVD source that got sharpened as well which increase their visibility. the panning issue is no where near as bad as it was in V1 but i can kinda see a stutter here and there, no deinterlacer is perfect i guess.

Ep1: The AKH release has some banding, Cman's release does not, which is nice. Other than that Cman's release felt more sharpened when watching, although sometimes to the point where character lines looked too fat. And this is kinda what I don't like, since it's changing the original source too much.

this is due to different aspect ratios not sharpening. AKH is 16:10 i think while my is 16:9, as given on the R1 DVD, same as BluDragons.

But most importantly and I'm amazed I've seen no comments of this... the subs: Cman's has awful typesetting and some lack of signs, whereas AKH is simply perfect. If it weren't for a simple remux that could fix that, I would choose the latter for that reason alone.

what is missing and why awful? i would like to know why for further encodes.

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 06:59 AM
I like bakabt it has fast downloads speeds, only 2 things I dislike about them:

1. There have a banned anime list (mainly funimation stuff), I guess funimation told them to get ride of it?
2. There should have rules like softsub only

the subs: Cman's has awful typesetting and some lack of signs, whereas AKH is simply perfect. If it weren't for a simple remux that could fix that, I would choose the latter for that reason alone.

Cman has bad typesetting in a few of of releases, this is his main weakness he really needs to spend some time looking at other people work and learn what is a good font/size to use. I think this is because he mainly only watch's English dubs :thumbdown: so he has no idea what makes good subs. The best typesetting I have seen from cman so far is Last Exile.

Spoiler

You can clearly see in that picture [krym] typesetting is miles better (I do prefer white text over any other color). As far as video/sound goes cman does that very well as far I see (no encoder here)
vOEHoGZ.jpg

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks

but I cannot see the (painfully) moving static pictures

During the panning scenes you can see pixels moving within the supposedly "still" images. And If you look really well it even feels like the whole image is having a tiny earthquake :P
You'll probably only see this on a large native 720p'ish screen, since any larger screens would probably blur it out too much after the upscale.

those sharpening artifacts are mostly compression artifacts on the DVD source that got sharpened as well which increase their visibility. the panning issue is no where near as bad as it was in V1 but i can kinda see a stutter here and there, no deinterlacer is perfect i guess.

You could use less sharpening in the OP? I don't see any need for any sharpening in it.
Yeah the panning isn't really that bad so just ignore that one.

this is due to different aspect ratios not sharpening. AKH is 16:10 i think while my is 16:9, as given on the R1 DVD, same as BluDragons.

What does thickness of lines have to do with AR? AKH is also 16:9 btw. Anyway, what I meant was that you had these thick gray half-transparent character lines in your encode, whereas they were supposed to be thin black character lines.
I just checked AKH for comparison and they had the similar kind of lines so they were probably using some kind of filter as well, it looks kinda bad in both releases. I'll just blame the source for that then.

what is missing and why awful? i would like to know why for further encodes.

In the ep1 that I watched I noticed a few untranslated signs, but now that I checked the other release didn't have them translated either so forget that remark.
Why awful: A plain Arial font just looks amateuristic. And the font should fit with the anime, else they feel out of place in my opinion. The OP lyrics fonts felt too large and too much in the foreground. I guess it was kind of taking your attention away from the art. The Times new Roman ED lyrics just looked really bad and amateuristic. Check AKH-anisubs release for yourself if you want to see something good in terms of subs.

But hey, this is just my opinion as a long term fansub watcher. There're bound to be people that like these kinds of plain looking subs.

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks

Why awful: A plain Arial font just looks amateuristic. And the font should fit with the anime, else they feel out of place in my opinion. The OP lyrics fonts felt too large and too much in the foreground. I guess it was kind of taking your attention away from the art. The Times new Roman ED lyrics just looked really bad and amateuristic. Check AKH-anisubs release for yourself if you want to see something good in terms of subs.

But hey, this is just my opinion as a long term fansub watcher. There're bound to be people that like these kinds of plain looking subs.

ya i'll give you that one i always use arial for the dialog but the ED is not times new roman but i can see the similarities and i'll check out AHK's ED for comparison. now i thought when you said type setting i thought you meant only the signs. i try my best to make the signs appear as if they where there without being intrusive. but i will say that styling the OP/ED takes me nearly 3-4 hours per. there is just no way i can go through and try to figure out what style i should use for the dialog. it would drive me insane. but that is one flaw that i will admit as i do not make my releases for the sub fans but the dub watchers instead. but if anyone want to provide me a style to use for any of my future releases i would be happy to look at it and use it if i think it works.

oh and that comment about mine looking fat i thought you meant that the people where fat from a change in aspect ratio, i didnt think you where talking about lines. and the aspect ratio of the AHK version i have does not match that of BluDragon or mine, i just skued the image being resized in my comparisons so that it would be easier to compare.

i could do less on the OP, i mean i could completely redo it as it is just being linked to on the ordered chapter versions, i'll look into it.

p.s. now that is constructive criticism, you say what you do not like and why so that opthers can acknowledge what they might need to change. that kind of stuff i do not mind to reading all day long as it can only make me better.

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
Xtras if you are willing to take a second look and able to download a series from my irc channel then I will give you guys a second chance, tommarow by the latest I will have a series that had no earthly reason to be rejected it is small (meets your requirments) has great video quality and has styled subs (beautiful subs by the way) it is called Elemental Gelade, they are my V2 and are amazing I QCed them myeslf and with many of my local friends who warship you guys (no idea why) and they recommended to upload it at Bakabt so I went to get this one looked at never received a response for them since I submitted it
the irc channel is located on irc.anime-irc.net in the #lightningblade channel I am generally around and my right hand man ... well sleeps a lot so if I am not around yell at kuro for a while lol

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Okay, I know we've had this conversation before but to clarify:

If the b is lower case, then it is short for bit.
If the B is capitalised, then it is short for byte.

One byte is 8 bits.

We normally measure file sizes in bytes, but the ISPs had some smart marketing people and markets speed in bits.
So if you got a 10 megaBIT/s connection that means you can download 10/8 megaBYTES/s.

It was most likely marketed like this to confuse people, that's my guess anyway

Nice job, layin' down the edumacationalizm.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I could style your subs for you if you want, Cman, but you know I'm pretty limited on time.

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
all you would need to do is give me a style for the dialog, nothing more. i can do everything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users