Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does anyone use OpenDNS?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 02:44 PM
do you use it? do you know what it is?

i personally use it as it always seems to fix my connectivity problems.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 01:44 PM
Don't use it, but I do know what it is.
I've just never had a reason/need for it.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

crazydart

crazydart

創造者

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:44 AM
  • LocationCalifornia
Not sure what it is. What is it?

Posted Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
DNS (Domain Name Server) it takes your www.google.com and turns it into an IP address that you then go to connect to google. i sometime find that the ISP's DNS doesnt work as well as it should 100% of the time so i use OpenDNS instead. basically if you type a url and the site fails to connect but you have internet it might be the DNS timing out not allowing you to get past step 1 of getting to where you want to go. so i changed the DNS service and now it magically works again.

marimar

marimar

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUSA
OpenDNS is a really cool tool. Especially if you are placed in charge of a teenager finishing her HW who can't stay away from FB, twitter, or any any other networking site without supervision. Yes, I am an internet nazi with select people in my family... :blushing:
Posted Image

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:44 PM
They are tracking which sites you visit and selling them to third parties and/or using them for their own advertisements (in google's case). If you don't care about privacy then openDNS or google's DNS is the way to go.

If you just want to block websites, use your router, it probably has a feature that supports it. And if not, one that does isn't expensive at all.

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks

They are tracking which sites you visit and selling them to third parties and/or using them for their own advertisements (in google's case). If you don't care about privacy then openDNS or google's DNS is the way to go.

who isnt watching you nawadays? getting paranoid over it doesnt help. but glad to know that google has their own DNS, it gives me a second option now.

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationDenmark
I use googles, but may switch over to my ISPs again, cause the only reason I have for using another DNS is to circumvent the piratbay block the Danish government put in effect (And I don't even use piratebay) Anyway since piratebay changed domains it isn't even blocked anymore so why give more than I need to google which is quickly becoming an all knowing watcher over us all.
Imagine, if you will, a beautiful field full of flowers; bluebells, daffodils, tiger lilies... Every kind of blossom you can imagine, bringing a wonderful conflagration of color into a world which is otherwise dull and dark. Now, imagine that every one of those flowers is planted on the body of a tormented soul that died in agony (probably undeservedly), and will never know the true afterlife.

In life, they became florists because they love flowers, but here, a flower is a symbol of pain, of death within death. Their conflicting feelings build and build, and they become quite mad.

You are not a florist! You are a manufacturer of weapons!

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks

getting paranoid over it doesnt help

Paranoid?
My ISP's dns is faster than openDNS or google since it's closer to me in terms of hops and for DNS you want the absolute minimum amount of hops since it has to be as quick as possible. So yeah, the only reason you would have for using anything other than your ISP's DNS, is if they are incompetent at setting up their DNS servers.

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
yup, so true. but when you dont have working internet anything is better.

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 06:44 PM
I use Google dns, I can't remember the details but I read some where that opendns is bad that why I choose to use google dns.

Here the link that says why opendns is bad: http://www.grok.in/b...d-and-the-ugly/
vOEHoGZ.jpg

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 704 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:44 AM
  • LocationAustralia
I personally never had the need to change my DNS. My current ISP DNS isn't that bad at all, considering the fact they update it more often,

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:44 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I personally never had the need to change my DNS. My current ISP DNS isn't that bad at all, considering the fact they update it more often,

same here! I have heard of OpenDNS though... hahaha beyond that....

Posted Image

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
I use it.

And this is good to know about them:
http://blog.opendns....sorship-policy/

While it has great filtering capabilities, I use mine with all filtering off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users