Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BakaBT and the Eternal Diva Remux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 05:54 PM
no it has never been posted there, to my knowledge at least. and i wouldnt say everyone loves it as there are a lot of purists on bakabt. meaning if it is edited in anyway than it isnt worthy of their eyes, but we will see. i must become a power user before i can make a request but with my seedbox that will only take me ~12 hours.

ruprecht29

ruprecht29

Resident Elder

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • 0 thanks
I get ya now. You are gonna post it on Baka for shits and giggles. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Xtras

Xtras

Baka Extraordinaire

• Inactive Member
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:54 PM
I'm kinda skeptical to be honest. I've seen some piss poor sources, and I've seen some skilled filtering so I'm not going to say it is impossible, but an encode looking *better* than the source is ... unlikely. Think about it, when you encode, ignoring improved compression, you end up throwing away data that was originally there but which wasn't deemed as important. Then when you upscale, you add in data that your program thinks might have been there were it at a higher resolution. Amidst all of this, odds are you just created something that looks different.

I'd say just post some screenshots of the source and of your encode here and I'll comment on it. If you want to offer on BBT I can't particularly say no, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
see that is normally the case for those that do not know what they are doing. the only way to get something to look better than the original is use something called supper sampling. i personally raised the res of the 480p DVD source all the way to 1080p before i touched the source. once there i used all my filters and shrunk it back down to 720p and if you where to take it down even more back to the original 480p it will look superior to the source, if you know what you are doing that is.

now if you want to see mine vs ZeroRaws crappy version the link is below. but i will be making a few more of those so people can see what i am talking about. i will use both Bludragons and AKH-AniSubs versions for comparisons that i will post on my request, since those are the ones that got approved. but until i can make these comparisons this is all you can see.

Cman21 720p vs ZeroRaws 720p

http://screenshotcom...on.php?id=13087

EDIT: ok Xtras your opinion please:

AKH-AniSubs 480p - Vs - Cman21 720p @ 480p
http://screenshotcom...mparison/108431

BluDragon 480p - Vs - Cman21 720p @ 480p
http://screenshotcom...mparison/108435

AKH-AniSubs 480p @ 720p - Vs - Cman21 720p
http://screenshotcom...mparison/108434

BluDragon 480p @ 720p - Vs - Cman21 720p
http://screenshotcom...mparison/108436

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

BluDragon 480p @ 720p vs Cman21 720p
http://screenshotcom...mparison/108437

WTH is that?

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
opps i thought all of them where in order so i only coppied 1 url and edited the last number >.<

Fixed*

Dragon80

Dragon80

Meitantei

• Trusted Encoders
  • 241 posts
  • 74 thanks
i didn't think this topic would would go this far and open up a new look into things. but from what i know about the Eternal Diva blu-ray it wasn't an upscaled. just because people dont understand, doesn't mean it should be rejected on the grounds of i dont know how to use google.

i could try a remux of The Borrower Arriety, but would it really be worth it.

Hark0n

Hark0n

Meitantei

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:54 AM
  • LocationLatvia
@Cman21
You got some sick encoding skills. If you would offer 480p, you might have better chances to pass through BBT policies than 720p.

@Dragon80
Better chances than Eternal Diva, but you should note general dislikes toward vobsub and skepticism about Remuxe's. Good luck - you will need it!

FoxesDen

FoxesDen

Red Ribbon Army

• VIP
  • 563 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • Local time: 06:54 PM
  • LocationGreat White North
THORA pretty much has the market cornered on high quality encodes for all the Studio Ghibli films, so not much point in trying to take their slot for The Borrower Arriety. They've been doing a good job on them, and releasing them in dual audio, so most people have been content with them.

Mind you they've already released an encode with the Japanese and French dubs, so who knows if they'll release a new version with English dubs when they're available.
ztor6.jpg

Xtras

Xtras

Baka Extraordinaire

• Inactive Member
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

i didn't think this topic would would go this far and open up a new look into things. but from what i know about the Eternal Diva blu-ray it wasn't an upscaled. just because people dont understand, doesn't mean it should be rejected on the grounds of i dont know how to use google.

i could try a remux of The Borrower Arriety, but would it really be worth it.

I never said anything about rejected on the grounds of an upscale. Else your rejection message would have said upscale. It was rejected because we don't take remuxes. BakaBT, by policy, is anime encodes only. If you encoded it, we'd consider it.

Yeah sure Blu Ray has opened up the way to huge bitrates and massive files, but a straight remux to us is a hugely inefficient use of space. I'm sure you could save several gigs off your release and still achieve perfect transparency. I mean if I got the UK Blu Ray images, that would effectively be the same exact thing, only even more of a perfect rendition since that will have the menu files as well.

I never really appreciated remuxes myself. Looking at it from a cost vs. benefit standpoint I just don't see it as being that useful.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 09:54 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
how do remuxes differ from encodes? i pretty sure i have never seen one a well...

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

how do remuxes differ from encodes? i pretty sure i have never seen one a well...

Remuxes can mix and match audio, video, and subtitle tracks from multiple sources, combining them together to create a superior release with very little effort. The tracks themselves are hardly ever touched.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Then perhaps I have come seen a few... Is it more simple then encoding? I would think so if it is in MKV, just change the tracks in the MKV container...

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Then perhaps I have come seen a few... Is it more simple then encoding? I would think so if it is in MKV, just change the tracks in the MKV container...

Yeah, remuxing is really easy. All you need are MKVToolNix and MKVCleaver. ^_^

Posted Image

FoxesDen

FoxesDen

Red Ribbon Army

• VIP
  • 563 posts
  • 23 thanks
Technically, a remux is any encode put together from existing tracks. However, when an encode is specifically labeled as a remux, what it means is the ACTUAL video and audio tracks from the blu-ray were used, not re-encodes of them. This means it will look and sound exactly the same as the blu-ray (of course since they're the same tracks), but the filesize will be huge.
ztor6.jpg

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
I've long stopped reading those approval threads...makes my blood pressure rise.

Well, re-encode everything to Hi10P then submit. Seems they will be replacing all 8 bit with that. IMO, too soon for such a move and unfair to users that haven't caught up or use hardware decoders.

Daz

Daz

Genin

• Inactive Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationEarth
the new VLC supports Hi10 now, so it is starting to catch on

FoxesDen

FoxesDen

Red Ribbon Army

• VIP
  • 563 posts
  • 23 thanks
It supports ordered chapters too! After installing, make sure ordered chapters are enabled: Open the preferences (press ctrl-P), click "All" under "Show Settings" in the lower-left, in the option tree on the left, open "Input / Codecs" by clicking the little disclosure triangle, then do the same for "Demuxers". Click on "Matroska" and make sure the top check box "Respect ordered chapters" is turned on. Click the "Save" button and you're set.

It doesn't support multiple editions, but then I've only ever seen one encode that uses them. I haven't seen any support for color matching yet either which would be nice.

Regardless, VLC has come a long way with version 2.0, and although I won't be replacing MPC with it, it is a worthy option for playing back anime finally!
ztor6.jpg

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Good news! But you believe MPC with those extras is still the best for Hi10?

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
duh, why ask such a silly question :P no built in media player codecs are nearly as good as those that CCCP or K-Lite use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users