Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Goodbye Megaupload :(

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:02 AM

Not really true anymore, astraweb is pushing 1100+ days retention (which is around 3 and half years). If I remember correctly gigaweb is touting something like 1700 day retention.

Damn. I should have assumed it would be much higher now as storage became cheaper. I may give Usenet a try again. Would remove all worries about someone monitoring usage, other than uploading.

lordashram

lordashram

Meitantei

• Trusted Encoders
  • 227 posts
  • 103 thanks
  • Location\m/(^_^)\m/
So far my stuff has not been taken down on fileserve (filesonic is a different situation), as for reups, you can get around the md5 by using 'add a record recovery' (which imo should be mandatory anyways for all rars) and you can vary the amount of recovery to change file size on future reups.

Posted Image

Stop, collaborate and listen

IZEROII

IZEROII

King of Knights

• Moderators
  • 297 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Well now that FS is apparently not paying people for downloads lets see how many people bail on that host. Seems like AT and CGi have already started to move off of FS.

Sayer

Sayer

ES Force

• Inactive Member
  • 83 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:32 AM
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia
^I saw that shit, will this affect any of the encoders on this site from uploading to FS?

icon_kcp.png 

IZEROII

IZEROII

King of Knights

• Moderators
  • 297 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationFlorida, USA

^I saw that shit, will this affect any of the encoders on this site from uploading to FS?

Depends on if getting $ for downloads is the reason for hosting with FS or not. I host there because the speed is good and so far none of my stuff is down. However, I'm hearing that FS has started taking down links as well but don't know the validity of that. Seems like Uploadstation might be replacing FS within the fansub community. Even Commie made a comment regarding the futility of uploading to FS.

This government intervention bs is really getting on my nerves.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 09:02 AM

Well they aren't letting you re-upload files that was taken down either...
and well they took down over 260 new links on my account yesterday.
I don't know if I'll continue uploading or not and if I do, I don't know if I'll continue uploading to FS (after all I can't re-up what was removed).

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Well they aren't letting you re-upload files that was taken down either...
and well they took down over 260 new links on my account yesterday.
I don't know if I'll continue uploading or not and if I do, I don't know if I'll continue uploading to FS (after all I can't re-up what was removed).

Sure you can, just .rar or .zip up a file and it'll bypass the md5 blocking. >_>

These past few days have kinda rocked the anime community... and the current outlook is pretty grim.

Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

Sure you can, just .rar or .zip up a file and it'll bypass the md5 blocking. >_>

I'm not going to bother with that. Too much hassle to do that for over 3,000 files.
Especially if it means it'll be deleted within a few hours or days and end up in the same predicament.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

QifutuWahuta

QifutuWahuta

ES Force

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks
In all seriousness, why not usenet? They never take stuff down, fast as your connection can handle, and pretty much off the radar.

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:02 PM

In all seriousness, why not usenet? They never take stuff down, fast as your connection can handle, and pretty much off the radar.

I'd like to emphasize on the fact that they CAN'T take anything down, since everything is redundantly stored on an abundance of different servers in many different countries.

I wouldn't call it off the radar though: http://torrentfreak....content-110929/

Best to use a p2p network like Perfect Dark (except one that hasn't already been cracked) if you really want to be safe.

Posted Image

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 704 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:02 PM
  • LocationAustralia
Anyways why are people getting scared? I mean I know a few uploaders and encoders are quitting because of this, they are scared about getting caught up in all of this crap. This is BS, I bet the US government wanted something like this!

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
well just to let everyone know. i LOVE FS and their speed and uploaders interface/filemanager. i would REALLY regret having to move my stuff off there. i do not care about the money that much and if needed i can always use any other host, its just that FS was a perfect fit for me and i regret that it has changed.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:02 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
A friend of mine says the same, FS is the best. But I have no idea myself!

Posted Image

IZEROII

IZEROII

King of Knights

• Moderators
  • 297 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationFlorida, USA
It'll be interesting to see how this recent government intervention will play out for the anime community. It's going to be a bad day if it gets to the point where big groups or established encoders close their doors out of fear of the "what if". Hell even just users that just share. Nobody wants to worry about prosecution.

This whole thing is just frustrating. Ton of other more important issues but piracy is where the energy is focused...that's pretty lame.

Mors

Mors

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 37 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:32 PM
Well, even if everything else is gone people will just fall back to IRC like in the old days. That's like the ultimate private sharing service ever, seeing how easy it is to restrict the downloads within a known user base. There are also a ton of private trackers. And sites like PirateBay will probably outlive a Nuclear Winter.

I don't think we'll ever get to the point where people who are technologically competent and have some money to spend will not be able to get what they want. Private P2Ps, VPNs and all that. (Yes, they often cost, in a number of ways. But the point stands that if I didn't have to pay out of my ass to import all the anime shows I like to India, I'd've bought them and been enjoying them at my leisure without fear of persecution - and a lot of people will agree with me.) But yeah, file hosts might stop being the channel of choice.

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationDenmark
But at least we have lots of other choices available, and even though I would like to buy anime I cannot afford it with how much I consume, and it is not at all easily available, sure I can get some on the English Amazon, and I do get some blurays from there, but I would not be able to watch a majority of what I watch without fansubbers uploading it.
Imagine, if you will, a beautiful field full of flowers; bluebells, daffodils, tiger lilies... Every kind of blossom you can imagine, bringing a wonderful conflagration of color into a world which is otherwise dull and dark. Now, imagine that every one of those flowers is planted on the body of a tormented soul that died in agony (probably undeservedly), and will never know the true afterlife.

In life, they became florists because they love flowers, but here, a flower is a symbol of pain, of death within death. Their conflicting feelings build and build, and they become quite mad.

You are not a florist! You are a manufacturer of weapons!

Animefan93

Animefan93

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 770 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUK

But at least we have lots of other choices available, and even though I would like to be anime I cannot afford it with how much I consume, and it is not at all easily available, sure I can get some on the English Amazon, and I do get some blurays from there, but I would not be able to watch a majority of what I watch without fansubbers uploading it.

Second that i would love to buy anime but in the UK its so dam hard.

animefan93.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

7dnghn-5.png

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Local time: 05:02 PM
  • LocationEurope

Second that i would love to buy anime but in the UK its so dam hard.

And I second what you second - haha!
Besides from some old anime from the 90's, I can only buy Naruto, Dragon Ball, Pokemon, One Peace, and so on....

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
Apparently our file managers lie.

It shows only about 260 files were removed, but in reality almost all the links do not work. They still appear in the file manager but when you try to download it doesn't work.

jose's entire archive looks like it was removed, and well mine.. I don't know the full extent of it but I figure the majority of the 3000+ files still in the file manage likely do not work.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg

QifutuWahuta

QifutuWahuta

ES Force

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks

Apparently our file managers lie.

It shows only about 260 files were removed, but in reality almost all the links do not work. They still appear in the file manager but when you try to download it doesn't work.

jose's entire archive looks like it was removed, and well mine.. I don't know the full extent of it but I figure the majority of the 3000+ files still in the file manage likely do not work.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users