Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Goodbye Megaupload :(

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Local time: 11:58 PM
  • LocationUK
Heh, quite enjoyed this...

R.I.P Megaupload

Let us have 72 minutes of silence, followed by a 30 minute waiting period before we can continue our mourning.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

ruprecht29

ruprecht29

Resident Elder

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:58 PM
PIPA and SOPA have been shelved indefinitely.

http://arstechnica.c...oth-shelved.ars

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

PIPA and SOPA have been shelved indefinitely.

http://arstechnica.c...oth-shelved.ars

Just wait until the next iteration. It won't be long.

Posted Image

Mors

Mors

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 37 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:28 AM

I don't know about India, but there really isn't big chances of being caught by downloading copyrighted material, the danish anti-piracy corporation has at least publicly said that they only pursue original uploaders, as they have a much easier case against them.
Anyway I only use torrents for anime, and I don't think downloading anime is that bad. And it is virtually impossible to be caught when using DDL sites like FS

Lol, I don't think that dl'ing a show or two is bad either, but I doubt the US DOJ agrees with either of us. :P

Also "virtually impossible to be caught when using DDL sites like FS" <---you sure? You're downloading a file using HTTP traffic. The file name itself is a dead giveaway, what with the naming convention of The Scene. The show name, episode, encoder name, everything is present and available to all and sundry if they just do a proper parse/lookup of the URL, I'd think? Not claiming to be an expert in any shape or form, but this much is obvious: if I can open the page and see the file name in my browser, so can a bot.

And if SOPA lookalikes begin to be passed (as they probably will, by and by, when we are tired of signing petitions), that kind of massive network "sniffing" will probably even be legalized.

Eh. </melodrama>

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 10:58 PM
Fucking hell, I really liked megaupload I could get 4.5mb's a second from them and I did not have to do that bullshit caption thing because jdownloader worked with it. With FS i only get 400kb's a second and i have to type caption's out :(.

I guess if megauplod somehow go's back up the links will still be on there servers, so people wont have to upload again.

Just wait until the next iteration. It won't be long.

If some form of sopa pass's the internet will become pointless to me, if I cant download stuff, I may as well cancel it.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 04:58 PM

Now FileServe removed Make-Money System...need to backup fileserve files to other host.

So I found out FS blocks files by md5 now. This means if the file was taken down on FS before by the DMCA, the same file can no longer be uploaded (unless you change the md5 by zipping it or another method).

Well this totally sucks.

FS just deleted over 260 of my files as well. In the history of my account I only had like 25 files be deleted and so 260+ seems like a lot, even if I do still have over 3000 files on my account.

This means I cannot re-upload those files unless I try zipping them now. >.>

But they no longer pay you either... well I used the money to help pay for my servers.. so yeah now I'm going to have to see about switching hosts or finding some other way to continue paying for the servers.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

QifutuWahuta

QifutuWahuta

ES Force

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks

@QifutuWahuta: How many is "some"? To put it plainly, do quality groups (like, say, UTW or Mazui or even Commie) put up their works in UseNet? I honestly have only a very general idea how UseNet works, but on the other hand that just means the DOJ people (who probably are not as tuned in to tech as I am) should have even less.

I'm not sure it's really done regularly, but sometimes when I'm too lazy to get on IRC to get something I check binsearch with the CRC of a show I want and I find the about 30% of the time. There's no way to switch to Usenet for all your anime needs, but it is handy. Usenet is best for movies, shows, and games. I use astraweb right now with the $11/month plan, and I absolutely love it. SABnzbd + Sickbeard and Binsearch will find you anything you ever need to find on usenet. Memebership sites like NZBMatrix are complete garbage though, the only thing they're useful for is reviews and comments.

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I found this article particularly interesting; it was well written and, in addition to reporting on recent developments, makes several shrewd points that are worth taking into consideration.

Posted Image

QifutuWahuta

QifutuWahuta

ES Force

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks
You're hearing it here first: BBSes are the future.

*goes and digs out a dialup modem*

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks

So I found out FS blocks files by md5 now. This means if the file was taken down on FS before by the DMCA, the same file can no longer be uploaded (unless you change the md5 by zipping it or another method).

yup and that is the way it should be. that means they are REALLY trying to avoid what the feds are trying to pin on MU before the go searching for others.

I found this article particularly interesting; it was well written and, in addition to reporting on recent developments, makes several shrewd points that are worth taking into consideration.

sry stab you are slow we where talking about that near the middle of page 2 ;)

shuurin

shuurin

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCaptured in world of anime!

Heh, quite enjoyed this...

R.I.P Megaupload

Let us have 72 minutes of silence, followed by a 30 minute waiting period before we can continue our mourning.

:D

I guess if megauplod somehow go's back up the links will still be on there servers, so people wont have to upload again.

Won't be happening: The FBI confiscated all of MU's servers.

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 987 thanks
  • Local time: 03:58 PM
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia

Now FileServe removed Make-Money System...need to backup fileserve files to other host.

Dammit.

I had like $18 in the payout area, and a little over $11 in my current earnings. Sigh. At least I had renewed my premium until July.

Oh well, time to wait and see.

crazydart

crazydart

創造者

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:58 PM
  • LocationCalifornia
Quick question. Could probably look up the answer on my own, but I'd rather have someone explain it.
Why is it that MU got indicted for copyright infringement while Pirate Bay, which blatantly displays pirated materials, is still online?

Posted Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
MU hosts the content and pirate bay doesnt, at least that is why i think so.

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationDenmark

Also "virtually impossible to be caught when using DDL sites like FS" <---you sure? You're downloading a file using HTTP traffic. The file name itself is a dead giveaway, what with the naming convention of The Scene. The show name, episode, encoder name, everything is present and available to all and sundry if they just do a proper parse/lookup of the URL, I'd think? Not claiming to be an expert in any shape or form, but this much is obvious: if I can open the page and see the file name in my browser, so can a bot.

And if SOPA lookalikes begin to be passed (as they probably will, by and by, when we are tired of signing petitions), that kind of massive network "sniffing" will probably even be legalized.

Eh. </melodrama>

I'm certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that my ISP only logs active connections with IP addresses, and have no way of logging the entire URLs I request from the servers. If this is true then the only people able to log what I download is the hosting companies.
But if anyone can say that I'm wrong I would be very excited to hear about it.
Imagine, if you will, a beautiful field full of flowers; bluebells, daffodils, tiger lilies... Every kind of blossom you can imagine, bringing a wonderful conflagration of color into a world which is otherwise dull and dark. Now, imagine that every one of those flowers is planted on the body of a tormented soul that died in agony (probably undeservedly), and will never know the true afterlife.

In life, they became florists because they love flowers, but here, a flower is a symbol of pain, of death within death. Their conflicting feelings build and build, and they become quite mad.

You are not a florist! You are a manufacturer of weapons!

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks

I'm certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that my ISP only logs active connections with IP addresses, and have no way of logging the entire URLs I request from the servers. If this is true then the only people able to log what I download is the hosting companies.

I'm pretty sure most ISP's are logging IP source/destination addresses and TCP/UDP ports, since this can be used to optimize their routing and probably used for some traffic shaping.

However HTTP GET requests (which contains the URL etc.) are in the application layer, which means they'll need to perform deep packet inspection. DPI is considered illegal in most decent countries, at least in the Netherlands they can't get away with doing it.
So they can only see which IP's you're visiting. Which probably isn't enough to prosecute anyone.

Downloading anime is still legal in the Netherlands so I'm not too worried about anything yet.
I better get some more storage soon so I can download every anime in existence, before it starts to get illegal. :P

I wonder, if you download your anime to a server you own in the Netherlands, which will then make it legally a "home copy". Then download it from there to your home PC in the US or wherever downloading anime is illegal. You would basically already own the anime after downloading it to your server in the Netherlands, so you're just transferring your legal copy between locations... Would this trick make it legal?

Posted Image

QifutuWahuta

QifutuWahuta

ES Force

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks

I'm pretty sure most ISP's are logging IP source/destination addresses and TCP/UDP ports, since this can be used to optimize their routing and probably used for some traffic shaping.

However HTTP GET requests (which contains the URL etc.) are in the application layer, which means they'll need to perform deep packet inspection. DPI is considered illegal in most decent countries, at least in the Netherlands they can't get away with doing it.
So they can only see which IP's you're visiting. Which probably isn't enough to prosecute anyone.

Downloading anime is still legal in the Netherlands so I'm not too worried about anything yet.
I better get some more storage soon so I can download every anime in existence, before it starts to get illegal. :P

I wonder, if you download your anime to a server you own in the Netherlands, which will then make it legally a "home copy". Then download it from there to your home PC in the US or wherever downloading anime is illegal. You would basically already own the anime after downloading it to your server in the Netherlands, so you're just transferring your legal copy between locations... Would this trick make it legal?

You'd probably need Netherlands citizenship to try and argue for it.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 04:58 PM

True, but the hosting companies can be court ordered to share that info. It's happened with several hosts in the past, one of the latest and most talked about was Hotfile.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
While the MPAA, RIAA, etc may try to sue all the users for copyright infringement, the FBI and DOJ don't waste it's resources on such. They solely go after the big guys, like Megaupload because they were insanely profiting from such illegal actions. I can't think of them ever taking action against free distribution users. But if it's for profit and over state lines, then it falls under their jurisdiction and they take notice.

I think fileserve is playing it safe, to help prevent being targeted by government law enforcement. Because I doubt they worry much about the lawsuits from the entertainment industry. I rather they stay around. While I prefer others like filesonic for it's speed, fileserve seems better at keeping older files around.

Usenet is a great source. I found my first anime fansubs there, Triad's Gunslinger Girls, as it was being released way back then. At that time, Bittorrents was just getting around. But the biggest problem with Usenet is it's low retention. While it can be for months with some premium services, it's nothing like the archives at BakaBT. But for the latest in scene releases, can't find much faster.

QifutuWahuta

QifutuWahuta

ES Force

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks

While the MPAA, RIAA, etc may try to sue all the users for copyright infringement, the FBI and DOJ don't waste it's resources on such. They solely go after the big guys, like Megaupload because they were insanely profiting from such illegal actions. I can't think of them ever taking action against free distribution users. But if it's for profit and over state lines, then it falls under their jurisdiction and they take notice.

I think fileserve is playing it safe, to help prevent being targeted by government law enforcement. Because I doubt they worry much about the lawsuits from the entertainment industry. I rather they stay around. While I prefer others like filesonic for it's speed, fileserve seems better at keeping older files around.

Usenet is a great source. I found my first anime fansubs there, Triad's Gunslinger Girls, as it was being released way back then. At that time, Bittorrents was just getting around. But the biggest problem with Usenet is it's low retention. While it can be for months with some premium services, it's nothing like the archives at BakaBT. But for the latest in scene releases, can't find much faster.

Not really true anymore, astraweb is pushing 1100+ days retention (which is around 3 and half years). If I remember correctly gigaweb is touting something like 1700 day retention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users