Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

English in japenese dubbed anime

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:55 PM
  • LocationDenmark
Hi guys, I finished Speed Grapher some days ago and I noticed that whenever foreign (i.e. non-japanese) talked, they did so in english, even though it was a japanese dub in general.
I really like this because it creates immersion, it is however easy to hear that the voice actors were not native english speakers.
Thus my opinion of it is torn, if the english dubs were good, then I would love it as it often looks weird to see americans speak japanese fluently, but a japanese english accent is easily heard and it kinda ruins it for me.

What are your thoughts about this?
Imagine, if you will, a beautiful field full of flowers; bluebells, daffodils, tiger lilies... Every kind of blossom you can imagine, bringing a wonderful conflagration of color into a world which is otherwise dull and dark. Now, imagine that every one of those flowers is planted on the body of a tormented soul that died in agony (probably undeservedly), and will never know the true afterlife.

In life, they became florists because they love flowers, but here, a flower is a symbol of pain, of death within death. Their conflicting feelings build and build, and they become quite mad.

You are not a florist! You are a manufacturer of weapons!

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 11:55 AM
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I honestly dislike that Japanese seiyuus will try to say lines in English (for whatever reason, whether it be in an attempt to sound cool or because they portray a foreign character), for the very reason you mentioned - it sounds like garbage.

I recently had a slightly different experience recently in Last Exile (season 2), where some characters were speaking Russian. I'm fluent in Russian, and I can tell you that it sounded absolutely horrible... it was very painful to listen to.

I just wish studios hired an english (or Russian) voice actor or two to say those lines when needed, but I'm assuming they don't because it's expensive and it can be hard to reach the necessary people.

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 12:55 PM
ya know i thought it was russian but it didnt sound like any russian i heard before... i guess that is why huh. and i do not mind it as im already reading subs but in a Eng release i do not want to read a lot of subs. so i would prefer there to be only 1 language unless absolutely necessary.

crazydart

crazydart

創造者

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 09:55 AM
  • LocationCalifornia
That reminds me of the second season of Genshiken. The last few episodes had a lot of english being spoken, and I have to say that every time I heard it I wanted to punch a hole in my moniter, but that was also because the "American" character speaking was a whore. They kept on using the word "sensible" where I assume they were trying to use "sensitive." I love that series, but those last few episodes put me in a rage for sure.

Posted Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationDenmark
It may often be poorly executed, but I love the concept of them speaking the language of the people they are portraying instead of everybody in the world magically speaking fluent Japanese.

But seriously can it really be more expensive to hire a voice actor from another country for a few lines? It would definitely be well worth it if they did as it adds immensely to immersion.
Imagine, if you will, a beautiful field full of flowers; bluebells, daffodils, tiger lilies... Every kind of blossom you can imagine, bringing a wonderful conflagration of color into a world which is otherwise dull and dark. Now, imagine that every one of those flowers is planted on the body of a tormented soul that died in agony (probably undeservedly), and will never know the true afterlife.

In life, they became florists because they love flowers, but here, a flower is a symbol of pain, of death within death. Their conflicting feelings build and build, and they become quite mad.

crazydart

crazydart

創造者

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCalifornia
It also goes both ways though. The only real example I can think of at the moment is in the English dub of Black Cat when some pawn shop owner says Black cat, and then he says it in Japanese, "kuro neko (which turned out something more like "kerranekow)." It was literally only two words and me and my friend looked at each other and were like what the hell did he just say? It took us like 30 seconds just to figure out what he was trying to say. Anyways, with the Japanese seiyuus trying to speak English I can at least understand what they are trying to say pretty quickly, but yeah it would definitely be cool to have native speakers speaking those few non-Japanese lines.

Posted Image

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationDenmark
I don't watch dubs so I cannot really comment on that, but on another note, I can definitely see how it could be annoying as a Japanese who may not understand a lot of English to watch a show where some of the dialog is in English or some other language, then again they could always sub it.

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA
The only time I can honestly say I haven't minded "Engrish" in my anime is when that one random blond guy in Angel Beats said stuff.

Not only was his pronunciation surprisingly good (I actually thought he was a native speaker for a while), it was well placed and rather amusing. ^_^

And if there is English or some other foreign language present in the Japanese dub, they almost always have subs, Virtu.

Oh, another time when foreign languages were done poorly was the German in Fate/Stay Night. God, that was awful. >.<

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 03:55 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
To English character in heavy Japanese accent, " Sorry, my English is not very good."
English character replies, " Do not worry, you speak just fine" - in the same heavy Japanese accent.

It amuses me.

Posted Image

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationDenmark
Yeah I never got why so many shows use German for their occult spells etc., and it's worse if you actually speak German.

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia

The only time I can honestly say I haven't minded "Engrish" in my anime is when that one random blond guy in Angel Beats said stuff.

His Japanese voice actor is a white dude. Apparently he was born in Japan though he was raised in Hawaii. I'm assuming he's fluent in both languages.

Also, I've love to see a truly multi-audio series. I was watching The Godfather the other day, and despite being an American movie, everyone spoke in Italian. I'd like to see a series where the Japanese people spoke Japanese and the Americans spoke American, and so on.

joseole99

joseole99

Dual Bringer

• Moderators
  • 339 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationGolden, CO

Americans spoke American

i would pay to see someone do this. lol. baka forge

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia
Haha I said it like that to distinguish American English from, say, British English or Aussie English.

And it's still woefully insufficient. There's different American accents, too.

QifutuWahuta

QifutuWahuta

ES Force

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks

Haha I said it like that to distinguish American English from, say, British English or Aussie English.

And it's still woefully insufficient. There's different American accents, too.

I want to see an anime set in the deep south/bible-belt of america, just to hear them speak in a japanese rendition of a southern accent. The entertainment value would be staggering.

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
wow... that would be awful! granted i am from the south and i know all that but hearing some Japanese girl try to copy that sound :rofl:

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks

Americans spoke American,

lol where are you from again???

i would pay to see someone do this. lol. baka forge

ROFL

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

Shima

Shima

Mangaka

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:25 PM
  • LocationIndia
I've seen it quite a few times (Some episodes of Excel Saga, The Blood Labyrinth arc of Ghost Hunt, the first special of Durarara!!, to name a few), but it's only really bothered me once: All the songs in BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. The Engrish songs were simply terrible and the English VAs did a wonderful job with the same.
For the most part, I don't spend much time evaluating them since I prefer dubs.

I speak Urdu as well and it was used frequently in the first arc of Yugo The Negotiator. In that case, both dubs sounded terrible.
I've seen Russian used in Durarara!!, First Squad: The Moment of Truth and the second arc in Yugo The Negotiator... and some German in Neon Genesis Evangelion and Blassreiter, but i really can't comment on any of them, since I can't speak either language.

Raxec

Raxec

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:55 AM
I honestly hate it but I also find funny the fact that the character is supposed to be "fluent" because he lived in America or was born there and his English is crap.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 03:55 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
They just speak Japanese in those cases anyway. it is only the one off occasion when there is the English speaking stranger or tourist for a 2 minute or less scene, that the 'fluent' english speaking anime characters use their Enlgish skills

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users