Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do you decide what release group to watch for a series?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

Virtureal

Virtureal

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 124 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:55 PM
  • LocationDenmark
First I check if a HD version is available, then I check which groups released the HD versions and compare their subs and read reviews on anidb, if I can compare the releases on ji-hi.net I do, if not I download the first episode from a couple of groups and compare. I like colour for person styling, but it can easily be too distracting and it is not the deciding factor for me, I often just check to see if the English sentences make sense.
If no HD version has good subbing then I'll remux if the timing can be carried over without much trouble.
Imagine, if you will, a beautiful field full of flowers; bluebells, daffodils, tiger lilies... Every kind of blossom you can imagine, bringing a wonderful conflagration of color into a world which is otherwise dull and dark. Now, imagine that every one of those flowers is planted on the body of a tormented soul that died in agony (probably undeservedly), and will never know the true afterlife.

In life, they became florists because they love flowers, but here, a flower is a symbol of pain, of death within death. Their conflicting feelings build and build, and they become quite mad.

You are not a florist! You are a manufacturer of weapons!

Animefan93

Animefan93

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 770 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUK
Well i go on whats being released early. I dont really mind, but i try to go for what i know. Like commie,UTW and SFW-sage and such. Also have a quick check in the subbed section on here to see if zero has already uploaded the series to here. So in a way i go on what Zero has chosen as his subber.

Thank you ZERO :D

animefan93.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

7dnghn-5.png

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:55 PM

First I check if a HD version is available, then I check which groups released the HD versions and compare their subs and read reviews on anidb, if I can compare the releases on ji-hi.net I do, if not I download the first episode from a couple of groups and compare. I like colour for person styling, but it can easily be too distracting and it is not the deciding factor for me, I often just check to see if the English sentences make sense.
If no HD version has good subbing then I'll remux if the timing can be carried over without much trouble.

What if there are no HD versions or raws available?

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 704 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:55 AM
  • LocationAustralia
Then grab a DVD version of it? Lol for me as long as it watchable and has a somewhat decent subs I'm fine. I do prefer HD over SD though, audio I don't really care but prefer 5.1 and in AAC since FLAC is just too big.

Posted Image

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 06:55 PM
I always let my friend choice the best translation for the subs and generally grab the best quality of them

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

dudefromLT

dudefromLT

Cardcaptor

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:55 AM
  • LocationLithuania
From the most important factor to the less important:

1. places to download from:
generally I go for groups which have XDCC bots (fast speed, easy to download; resumable downloads);
torrents second after that;
filehosting services: after "Megaupload" went down I try (though sometimes it is impossible) to avoid other file hosting sites as speeds from them are too slow.

2. quality:
I go only for HDTV in 1280x720 (for current series) and BD in 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (for archiving purposes) ; though sometimes I have to grab and lower resolution stuff; but if there is choice I go for HD.
And as for quality for subs?: don't care much about that. English not my native and I'm kinda slow reader. To get the basic idea of what is being said is enough for me. Though can't stand different subs: there must be consistency in releases.

3. speed of group: the sooner the better, though I don't mind waiting couple of weeks for releases, but if it takes whole moths I try to avoid that group and go for a little bit faster one.

4. opinions of other: don't care.

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:55 PM
I tend to sample from different groups at the beginning of the season. Not afraid to try out new groups. Not all groups are consistent, as they may have different translators/encoders from one series to another. Readability of the font is more important than perfect English. As long as it flows well. So I don't mind styling it to the genre if it's readable.

I like the karaoke at the openings and endings. Also don't mind karaoke being hardsubbed, actually preferred for the highly animated ones. I appreciate extra efforts put into that.

But I'm not too picky on the HDTV releases, since it's the BD releases that I will be archiving for the long term. So by the time they get released, should have an idea which group's subs that I prefer.

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 704 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:55 AM
  • LocationAustralia
I look for the ones with the most lolis in them... Because:

More lolis = Win?

Right? Lols

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 09:55 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
mmmm lolis!

Posted Image

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
Japanese audio>Softsubs>Video/sound quality
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Pra7ul

Pra7ul

King of Pirates

• VIP
  • 380 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:25 AM
  • LocationWindmill Village
Great Video quality with Great Audio quality and also nice Subtitles.

i decides what to watch by comparing the best possible source out there.

Pra7ul.jpg

iqpq.png

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks

Japanese audio>Softsubs>Video/sound quality

Because there are so many releases out there that don't have Japanese audio?

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Because there are so many releases out there that don't have Japanese audio?

Can't tell if sarcastic or serious. >_>

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
It has to be sarcasm.... doesn't it?

How do people tell if the subs are decent if they cannot understand Japanese?!??!?!??! Seriously, I have wondered this for some time.

Edit: Of course, there is fonts, size, colour, suffix (ie, chan, sama, etc), but I am talking about the actual sentences. AND disregarding really bad direct ones like direct translations... Though I add this edit before people make the obvious comments back.

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Mmm, ignoring subtitle style and localization preferences, I can actually tell to a certain degree when subs are sub-par. I guess I've just picked up enough Japanese from watching anime. *shrug*

Posted Image

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
I'd say many people also think subs are decent when they use "proper" english.
Some groups just tend to have wrong spelling or grammatical errors more than others.
Most commonly the use of "you're" instead of "your" and vice versa, which is just really bad in my opinion. :x

About direct translation: I often prefer having a literal transcription and actually learning some of the japanese culture than the western crap some groups tend to change it to.

I guess each has their own preferences in this anyway, so we should all consider ourselves lucky to have multiple fansub groups to choose from. :)

Posted Image

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:55 AM

It has to be sarcasm.... doesn't it?

How do people tell if the subs are decent if they cannot understand Japanese?!??!?!??! Seriously, I have wondered this for some time.

Edit: Of course, there is fonts, size, colour, suffix (ie, chan, sama, etc), but I am talking about the actual sentences. AND disregarding really bad direct ones like direct translations... Though I add this edit before people make the obvious comments back.

This is what fansub reviews are for. Dark Sage over at whiners.pro does them, 8thsin was doing a wonderful job, but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet, and commie has a fansub review site called not red reviews. These are all great resources in picking which group to go with.

Generally I just stick with groups that have a fansubbing philosophy I agree with. So most of the time gg, commie and utw are my main ports of call, unless I'm given good reason to go elsewhere. I don't care what anyone says, commie reliably puts out b grade subs at worst. Consistent, prolific, and their releases aren't bloated. GG is lead by Koda, enough said really. Apart from that they have 8thsin, who is probably the best translator around on the fansub scene, assuming he isn't gone for good. He also works for UTW, and they also reliably put out good subs, though usually more up the literal end of the subbing spectrum, which is not in line with my fansubbing philosophy, but more than tolerable for the reliable accuracy.
Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I have to admit, I thoroughly enjoy reading Dark Sage's rants and reviews.

Posted Image

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:55 AM
He's a dick, but he's right enough of the time to get away with it. Sometimes it's fun to watch idiots get told too, especially with the aniblog tourney fiasco. I could help but root for him just because so many of the top competitors' blogs were so damn boring.
Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Controversy certainly provides entertainment! I have enjoyed gg, commie and UTW muchly. With literal transcriptions, I do enjoy it when frequently used phrases or words, as well as common Japanese jokes references and parody are explained once in the top of the screen. However, it has to be used moderately! AND SPELLING! I have edited subtitles because the mistakes irritate me so much... only when I notice them though! Humans have the awesome ability to read words correctly when they are in fact wrong. AMAZING BRAIN!!

I am going to have to check out this Dark Sage fellow.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users