Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What show has disappointed you the most?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Local time: 12:46 AM
  • LocationEurope

I generally don't watch animes with lower ratings. My standards are set pretty high.

:up: Koby is right.

Personally, I don't care about ratings, 'cause in the end it all depends my personal taste.
I rather take some time and read reviews instead or watch 5 mins. of an anime on YouTube to form my opinion.

Ghost in The Shell 2.0
I bought the Blu-ray on Amazon last year, because I believed it's 4-5 star rating. What a bust!
CG that looks like pre-rendered ps2 graphics and a zoomed, yellowish picture with way too much contrast.
They totally ruined the movie!

MysterySword

MysterySword

Meitantei

• Trusted Encoders
  • 260 posts
  • 395 thanks
  • Local time: 06:46 PM
  • LocationFlagship Brunhilde
I check ratings at ANN. They seem to be a bit more accurate (at least for me).

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:46 PM
Ratings are overrated.

I prefer checking out the "if you like this, you may like.." or "similar anime" kinds of sections from anime I really enjoyed. On Anime planet they contain some hidden gems quite often.

Posted Image

Animefan93

Animefan93

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 770 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUK

Ratings are overrated.

I prefer checking out the "if you like this, you may like.." or "similar anime" kinds of sections from anime I really enjoyed. On Anime planet they contain some hidden gems quite often.

What i do lol :P. Also i browse people MAL and Anime Planet list's.

animefan93.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

7dnghn-5.png

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
I dont go by ratings I find that the rating system will only work if it could be split into different factions and genres, like for people who generally watch series of this genre the rating would be this and so on and so on

But I highly doubt that this will happen, right now I go on the genre and what my friends say about it, then again I have a tendensy to watch whatever seems interesting to me at that time

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

crazydart

crazydart

創造者

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:46 PM
  • LocationCalifornia
Rating also has to do with people's personal taste. I mean unless the anime has terrible art, horrible voice acting, no story and the characters are terrible there are always going to be people that rate a series really low, and then you'll have those who say the same exact series that got that crappy rating was amazing. Everyone has there own interests. That's why I tend to go into things with no real opinion or standard so that I can judge it based on what I personally like.

I pretty much do what lightning does. Browse for series under genres I like, and then check them out based on how I'm feeling at the time.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 09:46 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Subjective opinions differ from person to person!?!? Hahahaha rating still help you get a feel for how enjoyed the anime is. It is particularly helpful when it shows the distribution of ratings not just the average.

Posted Image

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

Subjective opinions differ from person to person!?!? Hahahaha rating still help you get a feel for how enjoyed the anime is. It is particularly helpful when it shows the distribution of ratings not just the average.

"Subjective" opinions always differ from person to person, because it all depends on their preferences on how a good anime should be.
And that is what many ratings reflect. They're just the average of different subjective opinions expressed in numbers (even if the distributions are shown).
If you solely look for those ratings and your own subjective opinion isn't average, you will either see something you don't like, or miss out on something you would have liked.
This is why I prefer objective opinions like in reviews or those "you may like" recomendations instead.
They are based on comparisons between specified elements like content and technical criteria of different anime.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
That was sarcasm...

Posted Image

dudefromLT

dudefromLT

Cardcaptor

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationLithuania
"Highschool of the Dead" and "Macross Frontier"... I think (there were more, but these kinda was in my head, especially "HotD"). Well, the problem was that I expected something very cool and gorgeous from them, but in the end was disappointed... very very much.

"HotD": echi and zombies don't interact very well; thought it gonna be some serious stuff, but in the end... true nonsense; sexy (very) chicks with big (very) breasts killing zombies...hm... what can I say... would be good for hentai, maybe for comedy... though with all "HotD" concept didn't fit.
"Macross Frontier": hell knows why I disliked it; all that space opera just get on my nerves.

Stsin

Stsin

Mushi

• Inactive Member
  • 139 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:46 PM
Macross Frontier was the first true Mecha that I finished. I didn't expect to get a musical and actually enjoyed it. Never could get into the Gundam series.

In a way, it's best to not pick shows solely by ratings, because that can make even good shows become disappointments with overly expectations.

I usually sample shows each season to decide if I want to watch or not. You can usually tell from the first episode in what you are getting, for example with HotD it's all about fanservice.

And that's what's wrong with ratings for series. If I don't like the genre, I'll drop it. Only those that like such types will continue to watch and give a high rating; while those that don't, won't watch enough to give any rating.

But can compare by genres, then apply that rating for that type of genre. Just don't expect to like a highly rated high school ecchi, if loli pantsu shots aren't your thing ;)

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks
I don't have high expectation when I watch animes, so they can't disapoint me, quite the contrary actually. Though there is a show I HATE in particular and that's Chaos;Head.

Kiseki-kun

Kiseki-kun

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
well most shows tend to disappoint me somewhere between the beginning and the end, that's a given, but i pretty much forget how much it's disappointed me depending on how the anime ends. blood c was absolutely dreadful for the first couple of episodes. i think it made up for that in the last two episodes in a twelve episode season.

but if any show has yet to redeem itself in my standards, i'd have to go with guilty crown. neon genesis evangelion is a close one up there with those really philosophical last two episodes that seemed to have resolved themselves with a simple "the main plot isn't resolved but we've managed to distract you with something completely different", but considering the fabulous retelling of them through the movies i'll let those slide

Loveberri

Loveberri

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 29 posts
  • 0 thanks
I wanna say one maybe not as popular, and its kinda weird for me not to like stuff because i like seeing things from various angles or what the creators intended it to be. First is Divergence Eve. I like Ecchi and, boobs, although sometimes extremely unnecessary/unreasonable things about certain shows/episodes/moments annoy me, I deal with it for the greater good. But for some reason, i havent been able to get into it that much. Maybe something of the horrid CGI, or the confusing ass beginning, or maybe i havent given it enough of a chance. Ive tried to start it on 2 seperate occasions and am terribly bored and confused by the 2nd episode. Oversized boobs go so far, and it couldnt fix the confusion enough for me. I may try again to give it another chance but im wary lol.

2nd is Green Green...im maybe on episode8 or 9, and i have had to force myself to watch it since about 3 or 4. I think alot of the voice acting in it is horrid (rare for me to say), the concept is weird, and its all super awkward and kinda in bad tastes in some sections. I know the last ep is supposed to be super dirty sexually so much so that it wasnt even dubbed, i glimpsed through it out of curiosity and its no way i can see it getting to that point in the small amount of episodes inbetween. I'll still try to force myself to finish although i dont like quitting shows but, so much bleh.

/End of my rant

3kv9m.png

Give me boobies, some pantsu, a couple ha-ha's, mushy lovey-dovey drivel, some pewpew, character conflict and development, a good dub, and a wonderful yet only moderately feasible and subtly absurd plot and i'll give you a colon and closed parenthesis :)

grotesquery

grotesquery

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
I'd second Claymore--it was quite good up to the point it diverges from the source material. I hadn't yet read the manga when I watched the anime, but even then I felt the ending was not satisfactory; the plot seemed to have been stalled by the action. Then . . . I read the manga . . . I convinced myself the only acceptable explanation for the mediocre deviation was that somebody must have thought it would be funny to randomly fuck up the ending of Claymore . . . although to be charitable, it could just have been a well-intentioned but poorly executed parody of some of the emotionally unsatisfying elements in the source material--e.g. Teresa arc--the crucial difference is that while it made sense to kill off Teresa (even if it was rather abrupt), the anime ending was just gratuitously bad.

Kenzou

Kenzou

Dark Flame of Justice

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:46 PM
A few shows that I was truly disappointed is Kannazuki no Miko and its asinine carbon copy Shattered Angels. Both have try to combine so many different genre into a 12 episode show instead it was a complete clusterfuck. No story, no character development and it tried so hard to be different from most animes but I was doomed and never get my lifespan back of watching those two heaping piles of dog poo.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks

I'd second Claymore--it was quite good up to the point it diverges from the source material. I hadn't yet read the manga when I watched the anime, but even then I felt the ending was not satisfactory; the plot seemed to have been stalled by the action. Then . . . I read the manga . . . I convinced myself the only acceptable explanation for the mediocre deviation was that somebody must have thought it would be funny to randomly fuck up the ending of Claymore . . . although to be charitable, it could just have been a well-intentioned but poorly executed parody of some of the emotionally unsatisfying elements in the source material--e.g. Teresa arc--the crucial difference is that while it made sense to kill off Teresa (even if it was rather abrupt), the anime ending was just gratuitously bad.

I thought the ending seemed odd! Though, I wasn't disappointed by the show.

Posted Image

Freeman

Freeman

Battōsai

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • 59 thanks
  • Local time: 04:46 PM
  • LocationUSA, IL
My all time biggest let down is Air Gear. Even though the manga is still alive. Why would they not continue to make the anime. It was like one of the greatest anime's out there. Also the same goes for Get Backers.

Beauty.jpg

Favorite Anime in Order: Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, DBZ Franchise, G Gundam, Outlaw Star, Maison Ikkoku, One Piece, GTO, Blue Exorcist, Air Gear, Attack on Titian, Rurouni Kenshin, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Magi, Get Backers, Fullmetal Alchemist, Street Fighter II V, Gundam Wing, Trinity Blood, S-CRY-ed, Golden Boy, Salary Man Kintaro, Crying Freeman, Fairy Tail, Tenchi Muyo OVA's, Trigun, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Jormungand, Blue Gender, Claymore, Baki the Grappler, Samurai Champloo, Ping Pong Club, Kyo Kara Maoh, My Bride is a Mermaid, Hajime no ippo, Black Lion, Gurren Lagann, High School of the Dead, Hellsing, Toriko, Fist of the North Star, Slam Dunk, Bleach, Desert Punk, Blood Lad, Ushio & Tora, Space Dandy, Btooom, Inital D, Lupin the III, Gokusen, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Afro Samurai, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai 7, Blood +, Kenichi, Case Closed, Cyborg 009, Chrome Shelled Regios, School Rumble, Inuyasha, Baka and Test

grotesquery

grotesquery

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks

I thought the ending seemed odd! Though, I wasn't disappointed by the show.

I should qualify "disappointment" by saying I still quite like the show overall, and what bugs me is rather the frustration of seeing great promise stagnate and wither . . . . Deviations from source can certainly be handled quite well--e.g. I think Elfen Lied had a great ending even if it wasn't quite as epic as the manga finale.

Antares16M26

Antares16M26

Ewigen Stern

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationTejas
Hiiro no Kakera protagonist is a dumb bitch and a failure at life nuff said. Oh and dont watch it it will make you scream at the screen at how much of a dumbass the main character can be.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users