Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Graphics Problem I Have

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Local time: 05:18 AM
  • LocationUK

So I have had this graphics issue for some years now. The strange thing is that it only crops up over the cummer months each year, when my room is considerably hotter than it would be otherwise. So I am guessing it is something overheating?

Up until now I figured it was probably my GPU, but I recently got a new one and the problem persists (with its temperatures being fine).

So, I have moved onto the CPU. I know it occurs whilst the CPU is at 75C+, maybe lower, I am not sure. Bare in mind that I do not know if the CPU is the cause at all.

The problem itself

Whilst running in a straight line for example, the graphics just sort of stop and start, although my framerate does not drop during this time, which is what is really odd.

If you look at the following video, and closely watch the flow of the water, you can see it happening. It is particularly obvious in the last 5 or so seconds of the video.

You can also sort of see it in this video that I took today (ignore the regular stuttering). Once again, it is most obvious towards the end of the video (from about the 7 second mark).

So, any ideas guys?

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,439 posts
  • 257 thanks
  • Local time: 11:18 PM
it could be ram running dry and having to pull paged files. but once you start hitting the thermal threshold on your processors they will start to lower their speed in order to reduce heat, in turn lowering performance. the best thing you can do about that is proper ventilation with regular cleaning. i would try my best to keep temps under 70C if at all possible.

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 705 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:18 PM
  • LocationAustralia

Some reason it looks like lag, but if you say your FPS is solid then I'm not too entirely sure. Also 75C is fine for your CPU, in fact I believe i7s can run upto 100C fine. Though it's not usually recommended by people.

Edit:

If you do have enough FPS, try leaving Vsync off maybe that would help with the stuttering. Not too entirely sure...

What was your PC specs again? Also are you using stock cooler?

Posted Image

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • Local time: 05:18 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand
You say to ignore the stuttering, but that is all I see happening. What are you trying to show with those videos?

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

This occurs with vsync on or off.

When I say ignore the stuttering the second video, bandicam caused a bit itself. It is the main sort of stop and start that happens about once a second that is the problem.

My specs are: Win 7 X64, Phenom II 965, 8GB Ram, Radeon 270X.

I am using an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro which I bought a few years ago.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 705 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAustralia

Definitely your CPU then, the AMD Phenom II 965 listed max operating temperature is 62C. I bet it's doing some throttling, follow what Cman said (have proper ventilation and clear out dust) and monitor your temps using a program such as Realtemp if it's still not under the safe operating limits I suggest you take out your headsink, remove the fan and wash the heatsink (let it dry of course) and apply new thermal paste, of course this is assuming you got air cooling. If it's still not under 65C under load then you will have to invest in a new heatsink. Lucky you can move it to a different computer when building a new system.

Edit:

http://products.amd....&f10=&f11=&f12=

http://products.amd....&f10=&f11=&f12=

Don't know which one you have, but both are listed as 62C.

Posted Image

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Hmm, I have had it running consistently over 70C for years, lol. Even between 80-90 on occassion.

Gonna get me one of these and see if it helps out at all: http://www.amazon.co...7986871_TE_item

Anyways, thanks for the assistance all.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 705 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAustralia

Definitely better cooling is required, but having a better heatsink is one story. Ventilation is very important in a case, so make sure you got adequate ventilation.

Posted Image

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Definitely better cooling is required, but having a better heatsink is one story. Ventilation is very important in a case, so make sure you got adequate ventilation.

I recently redid my case fans, so I know that the airflow is fine.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 705 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAustralia

Nice! All the best, and tell us how it goes.

Posted Image

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

HO-LEE CRAP that was a chore putting on the water cooler. Everything was fine until it goes "place this plate on the BACK of the motherboard"....My case does not have rear motherboard access. There was pain, sweat, ACTUAL BLOOD, TWICE..... But it is on now and CPU is at about 35C idle as opposed to the 70+ it was, so thats good.

I shall report back later on the graphics thing.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Well, it all seems to have worked out quite nicely. Good times. Probably should have done this when it started about 3 years ago, lol.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • Local time: 05:18 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand
Sounds like your thermal paste was crusty~ Water coolers are good, but they're not that good.

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Sounds like your thermal paste was crusty~ Water coolers are good, but they're not that good.

It was, just came straight off.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,439 posts
  • 257 thanks
  • Local time: 11:18 PM
ya... did you use the basic compound that came with the cooler? if so the lifespan of that isnt long enough imho. even when using stock coolers i always used good arctic compounds.

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Akasa something or other with the old one, Cooler Master one that came with it for the new water cooler.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 705 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAustralia

But it is on now and CPU is at about 35C idle as opposed to the 70+ it was, so thats good.

Jesus, I thought 70C+ underload. If it was 70C during idle you should've replaced it sooner or redid the thermal paste.

On the brighter side, its great that everything worked out. You could do some OCing if you wanted to.

Posted Image

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Jesus, I thought 70C+ underload. If it was 70C during idle you should've replaced it sooner or redid the thermal paste.

On the brighter side, its great that everything worked out. You could do some OCing if you wanted to.

It was about 70C idle when it was really hot in here. 60ish most of the time.

Never been one for OCing really.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users