Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anyone can recommend good program(s) for editing VobSub subtitles?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

3island18

3island18

ES Force

• Inactive Member
  • 90 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:11 AM

Greetings, masters of anime encoding.

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows any good program to do the following tasks with VobSub (.sub + .idx). It doesn't have to be only one program, a couple of programs with each of its function to do each task, used in conjunction, are totally okay too.

====================

Here's my situation.

So I've obtained certain VobSub subtitles, they're Chinese. It's for that anime, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which has 110 eps of main OVA, 52 eps of Gaiden, and 3 movies (total 165 eps). These particular VobSub, instead of 1 subs file for 1 eps, 1 subs file contain 3 consecutive subs for 3 eps, ie. joined. Actually these VobSub came from certain encodes which combine 3 eps per MKV file. They're DVD rips, and I guess, the encoder just encoded whole one DVD disc into a MKV, instead of splitting each eps into separate MKVs.

Now, what I want to do is, to use these VobSub for the obviously far better quality BD rips, which are, as usual, 1 eps per 1 mkv. So I need to do the following tasks with these VobSub files:

1. Splitting and joining
I need to split each VobSub into 3 new VobSub, ie. 1 subs file = 1 eps. I may also need to join a few subs, since I saw this: for example, for some weird reason, several subs which are supposed to be in eps 1-4 subs file, particularly towards the end part, are somehow NOT included in the aforementioned subs file, but appear on eps 5-7 subs, particularly on the beginning part of the episode (ep 5). it looks like the encoder cut the subs at the wrong part?

2. Re-shifting time and retiming each subs individually as needed
After splitting the VobSub into new 3 files, the next step would be to reshift/retime the subtitle timing, particularly the subs for the episodes which were in the middle/latter part. And I may need the ability to edit the subtitle timing on several individual subs manually, as I see some subs are too fast or just appear at undesireable timing. It would be great if there's a wave form graphic or something to look at for accuracy, like when I use AegiSub or VisualSubSync. Too bad these programs don't support VobSub format.

That's it I think? Thank you.

Well, it's not MAL, but here's my Anime List. Check it out. Maybe we have the same taste, yeah! B)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/susanto-ph%C4%81ng-k%C4%ABt-l%C5%ABng/incomplete-list-of-my-best-animes/580515338649298

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,440 posts
  • 257 thanks
  • Local time: 09:11 PM
you wanna keep them as vobsub instead of OCRing them to a text based format like SRT or ASS?

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:11 AM

you wanna keep them as vobsub instead of OCRing them to a text based format like SRT or ASS?

Is there any program out there that will OCR Chinese or otherwise non-Latinate subs?

I can suggest a hack -- take the rips, append 3 episodes together with mkvmerge, mux the 3-episode vobsubs in, then resplit the combined .mkv back to its 3 constituent episodes. It might not be perfect, but that should bring the vobsub timing pretty close to the individual episode times.

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,440 posts
  • 257 thanks
  • Local time: 09:11 PM
ya there are plenty of OCR's that ask the user what character is inside the box and then remembers it and continues to ask the user every time it finds a symbol it does not know. as long as the user can tell it the right symbols it will work for any language.

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • Local time: 02:11 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand
If you're OCRing, get Subtitle Edit with the Chinese tesseract.

szfzafa

szfzafa

Meitantei

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • 333 thanks
  • Local time: 09:11 AM

OCRing Chinese? I would never do that.

Btw, why Chinese? There's Chinese dub already. So I guess you prefer the Japanese dub.

But why not switch to English subs instead?

Magical Girls don't age, they just fade away
-- or have their heads bitten off

3island18

3island18

ES Force

• Inactive Member
  • 90 posts
  • 0 thanks

Uh, so there's no way to keep it as VobSub? I have to turn into a text based subs no matter what? unless I employ Zalis' trick.

Turning it into text based subs means, must select pretty font, proofread coz OCR isn't perfect, and repositioning, coz some of the character nameplates are written in vertical Chinese style. aw, those beautiful looking font in the VobSub...

ya there are plenty of OCR's that ask the user what character is inside the box and then remembers it and continues to ask the user every time it finds a symbol it does not know. as long as the user can tell it the right symbols it will work for any language.

well, SubtitleEdit does do that. but... err do you know how many hundreds of used Chinese characters in the written form... and it's 165 eps LOL :P JohnFlower suggestion on using Chinese tesseract sounds most plausible.

OCRing Chinese? I would never do that.

Btw, why Chinese? There's Chinese dub already. So I guess you prefer the Japanese dub.

But why not switch to English subs instead?

agree, OCRing Chinese is nuts :P why Chinese? coz I understand the language? This is the latest Puweier (普威兒) DVD release translation. the translation quality is far more superior and accurate than the old Feima (飛馬) DVD translation. and Puweier correctly "Sinicize" the characters' name, translate every nameplates details (occupation and rank), nice positioning, while Feima just... didn't do anything much. Puweier translation is not based on the Chinese dub, but rather a translation from the Japanese dialogue, while Feima subs are actually like transcription of the Chinese dub verbatim (plus... rather free translation).

Chinese dub sucks btw LOL.

Why not English? I've watched LotGH with CentralAnime subs for thousands time :P and their translation sometimes bad anyway, especially on the 1st season. just wanna freshen up things (since I understand Chinese).

Uh, so there's no way to edit VobSub leisurely like most text based subs, huh? damn image based subs...

But keep em come in, the bright ideas~~ I'm all ears.

Well, it's not MAL, but here's my Anime List. Check it out. Maybe we have the same taste, yeah! B)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/susanto-ph%C4%81ng-k%C4%ABt-l%C5%ABng/incomplete-list-of-my-best-animes/580515338649298

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand
Well if you don't want to OCR them, then my quick 'n' dirty solution would be to mux the 3 episodes together and then split. This assumes that the vobsubs have the correct offsets/timings etc. If they don't match up, then you will likely end up OCRing~

szfzafa

szfzafa

Meitantei

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • 333 thanks

Well if you don't want to OCR them, then my quick 'n' dirty solution would be to mux the 3 episodes together and then split. This assumes that the vobsubs have the correct offsets/timings etc. If they don't match up, then you will likely end up OCRing~

mux the 3 episodes together and then split -- agreed.

If they don't match up, then you will likely end up OCRing~ -- disagreed.

Actually you can timeshift vobsubs with mkvmerge.

I'm too lazy to explain in details.

The trick is to drop the video before splitting, use .mka format while splitting & appending.

Firstly join the audio together, then split as many parts as you need.

Then append them one by one, setting +/- delay (in ms) for each track of a part if they mismatch.

Just treat the vobsubs as an audiotrack of another language. You are like re-syncing two audiotracks.

However, this method assumes the timecodes of the audio is continuous, no blanks or overlapping.

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand
And if it requires timeshifting at different parts in the episode? You'll be splitting them every which way.

It would be far easier to atleast try OCRing the subs than say 'it's Chinese so it's impossible'.

szfzafa

szfzafa

Meitantei

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • 333 thanks

Why OCR? To me, timeshifting a stream is way much easier than an independent sub file.

3island18

3island18

ES Force

• Inactive Member
  • 90 posts
  • 0 thanks

Wait, wait, hold on your butt. someone recommended me VobSub v2.2.3 in another forum. but, bumped, something wrong with the installation, it just won't work, no said .dll files even there, in the supposed C:\Windows\System32\, what the... nothing worked. blank dead shortcuts for the configure, joiner, cutter, as if nothing is installed. weird...

And someone just recommend BDSup2Sub just now. I've read the review, looks good, trying it now. hope this one works.

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand
If you're using Windows 8, most older applications don't come with the required dll (a dll that was included with Windows 7). Either way, just download the dll files off the net somewhere. Most sources are reputable.

3island18

3island18

ES Force

• Inactive Member
  • 90 posts
  • 0 thanks

I'm back. busy days, no money no internet etc.

Problem solved. I use VobSub now. The .dll files must be moved to SysWOW folder when using 64-bit Windows (I'm using Windows 7 64-bit). Just move vobsub.dll from the \system32\ folder, to the \SysWOW64\ folder. And of course, you must change the 'VobSub Configure' shortcut 'Properties' to reflect it. It's the installer fault for not supporting the newer 64-bit platform, since it's a very old program.

I think VobSub is the best program to manage err... VobSub subtitles. Not that it's very good, the options are pretty limited and I can't do much, but there's no other choice.

BDSup2Sub is also pretty neat, you can actually edit each subtitle one by one, the timing, position, etc. but unfortunately, when I edited just the timing, then save it, BDSup2Sub messed up the subtitles position, resolution, or something it looks ugly and high to the center of the screen now.

ah well. VobSub are hard to manage. I'll convert em to ASS someday if I got time. manual... read and type... can't OCR... or I could wait for some cool guy out there do this heheh.

For now, I just want to split and shift the time, and watch the show, dun care about the imperfections (stupid timing, etc.). Thanks for you guys replies. Next I'll ask about how to make those split audios, OP, eps, ED for Ordered Chapter, but later. I gotta get that painful to download encode first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users