Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Eccentric Family

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:20 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Eccentric Family

UchoutenKazoku-OP-Large02.jpg

Synopsis

In Kyoto, there are three kinds of residents: humans, tanuki, and tengu. Shimogamo Yasaburou is the third son of the Shimogamo tanuki family. His father, Souichirou, had been the head of Kyoto tanuki community until he was eaten by the human members of "Friday Club". While taking care of an old tengu, fighting with other tanuki, and playing with a psychic human girl, Yasaburou approaches the truth of his father's death.

My Take

Easily my favourite show of the summer season. The Tatami Galaxy is the obvious comparison point, since both stories are written by Morimi Tomihiko. While Eccentric Family (Uchouten Kazoku) is inferior to The Tatami Galaxy in nearly every way, it's a great, well told story nonetheless, and easily the most creative, interesting thing to come out of PA Works.

At its heart about loss, guilt, social structure and family. If you enjoy deep character interactions, striking art direction, urban fantasy, and/or subtle social commentary, there ought to be something here for you to enjoy.

Throroughly recommended

Posted Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

billyea

billyea

Tsundere

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:20 PM

I'm on episode 8 right now and one thing I can't get over is the "I love you so much I want to eat you!" philosophy that I've been hearing the past episodes.

It's a very Zen/circle-of-life-like philosophy, that while I can understand to some extent (in a big picture sort of way), is hard to swallow. Getting turned into stew is a horrible way to die and those who do not want to be stew don't really... fight back or do anything about it, which pisses me off.

And then when I see those tanuki grieving and then saying 'oh well, that's our fate' it kinda throws me out of the show.

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks

I certainly get where you're coming from, and I can't really explain why, but it doesn't particularly bother me. To some extent I think it's an acceptance of the fact that we necessarily harm other beings to survive and flourish, after all, we've seen the Tanuki themselves eat meat while in human form.

I think it's also meant to be somewhat indicative of what is the natural order of this world. A Tanuki can no less stop itself from being prey than cattle can in the order of natural dominance. Whether or not that futility is being conveyed effectively is obviously another matter.

It also may well be somewhat symbolic of class order, replacing the rich exploiting the poor with Benten, a figure of high-society, literally consuming less powerful beings. While I'm fairly confident there's an element of this, I haven't had a chance to mull it over for long enough to really sort out a proper analysis of it yet.

Cheers for the comment.

Posted Image

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks

Welp, there you go, billyea, looks like the show agrees with you regarding Hotei's attitude to eating Tanuki.

All in all an enjoyable finale and a great show. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a nuanced, philosophical, if a tad meandering show. Beautiful animation, great sound direction, and good closure for both the themes and the various character arcs.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 03:20 AM

How do you rate this with your favourite animes of all time, Will?

Posted Image

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks

Just rewatched it with someone, and it went up even higher in my estimation. It would go somewhere in my top 15 of all time, somewhere towards the bottom. Perhaps it'd fall shy of that, but definitely top 20. Highly highly recommended.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 03:20 AM

Argh! Lack of batches to download! Who's subs did you go with?

Posted Image

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks

Horrible Subs are the only group that I know were doing it. Their subs seemed perfectly fine, if not rather good.

Posted Image

Hark0n

Hark0n

Meitantei

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:20 PM
  • LocationLatvia

Horrible Subs are the only group that I know were doing it. Their subs seemed perfectly fine, if not rather good.

Vivid were also doing it (Nyaa torrent link).

For some reason I dropped it in the beginning and I have no idea why. I will wait for BD release to finish it (probably). First volume is already out.

EDIT: Changed torrent link.

Edited by Hark0n, 21 October 2013 - 02:08 AM.

dudefromLT

dudefromLT

Cardcaptor

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:20 PM
  • LocationLithuania

Unexpectedly good show I must say that myself. Didn't think that I would enjoy it as much as I did. The only slight minus which I could find in this show was animation (weird ears really; was bothering me till the middle of the show; later somewhat got used to it); everything else way beyond my expectations: marvelous story and great characters. Well, maybe

Spoiler
could have been shown, but whatever... Would be not bad to see more of this. 10/10.

pta307

pta307

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • 59 thanks
  • Local time: 11:20 PM

Unique design. The details was around family tanuki. The lifestyle was joyful

Tanuki learn human lifestyles very quickly, especially bad habits

Thanks to such intelligence and adaptability, Tanuki live their lives in human form without being detected.

Tanuki is also very good at creating illusions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users