Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sinchronizing audio and video

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

cmrosado

cmrosado

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:02 AM

Hello.

I got two complete series of Conan: http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

One has very good audio in portuguese but bad video and the other one has good image but audio in japanese.

Since i haven't found any good portuguese subs to match the japanese version i tried to mix the two versions.

I googled a bit and after a while i found the mkvmerge program and with that i chose the serie with better video and added the portuguese audio.

In most episodes the sound match the image but specially in the last 7 (and they are 26) it doesn't.

So i tried to strech and delay the sound in order for it to match the video and i started from the end.

In episode 26 i got it. It is more or less ok.

But both in episodes 24 and 25 the sound and video match in the begining of each episode and match in the end. The problem is that they don't match in the middle! (there is a 1 or 2 secs difference)

I'm sure i can't make it right with only these two tools (delay and stretch) so what must i do?

Is it the video i must edit?

Why is this happening?

DeathScythe

DeathScythe

Meitantei

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • Local time: 11:02 AM

You can try splitting the video with the audio, sync the audio where it's out of sync in the different parts, and then append the files back again.

cmrosado

cmrosado

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

I dont see how i can split them (and join after editing) with mkvmerge.

Is there any other easy to get program that allows me to do that?

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • Local time: 06:02 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand
It would be easier to use proper application like Sony Vegas.
The only problem I have with Vegas is that it does not like multi channel audio. For multi channel audio, I end up figuring out the offset with Vegas, then using Audition to edit.

Evil_Burrito

Evil_Burrito

Genin

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:02 AM
  • LocationGA

As JohnFlower said, you need a full video editor for this kind of issue. I will give you a quick explanation of how I fix this issue.

First, make sure the file is compliant with the editor. Sony Vegas will not open .mkv files, but it will open .mp4 or .avi. Then, you need to create two splits in the audio, preferably during a silence. Make sure you don't have any "auto ripple" features turned on. Now, adjust the cut by sliding it. After syncing, you will have small audio tail overlaps. Vegas has several methods to handle this. If the cut was at a silence allow the audio to crossfade (Vegas does this by default) or drag the overlapping edge to fit. You should not stretch the other side of your audio to fit the blank space. If it doesn't sound like a glitch or pop, leave it empty, the space will be automatically be filled with silence when you save/render/export. If it is necessary, make a new small audio split point before you stretch the audio (or you will be out of sync again) or simply copy and mix in some nearby background noise. 

cmrosado

cmrosado

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Thank you all for your help.

They are infact mkv files and audio has 2 channels.

But when i put the files in mkvmerge video shows as mpeg4/iso/avc and audio as ac3

Evil_Burrito

Evil_Burrito

Genin

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:02 AM
  • LocationGA

That is completely normal. There are dozens of ways the "wrap" the same exact audio and video together into different containers. That is why it is possible turn .mkv incompatible with Vegas and re-mux (wrap) it into a .mp4 that will probably be compatible. The actual streams stay the same. For example, you could also extract the individual streams and import them individually into Vegas for editing. When you are done editing, you are not forced to save audio with video. You ran choose to render only audio or only video.

Although you didn't actually ask a question, I think that should help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users