Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Personal Web Server

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

joseole99

joseole99

Dual Bringer

• Moderators
  • 339 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:57 PM
  • LocationGolden, CO

Basically I'm using a program called Serv-U to turn my old computer into a server I, and 5 others can access anywhere. It will contain my music, movie and comic library so that I don't have to manually share stuff via dropbox with them. It will not be on 24/7.

I was wondering if this was against comcast terms from a home internet connection. It says the following:

use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the Premises that provide network
content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises local area network (“Premises
LAN”), also commonly referred to as public services or servers.

My question is, what defines a dedicated server? From what I read, since it's not always on, and I'm not getting like 50+ million views, it's not a dedicated server is it?

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • Local time: 09:57 AM
  • LocationNew Zealand
It's not limited to 'dedicated' servers. They say 'stand-alone equipment or servers', which implies any type of server is prohibited.
That said, they wont shut down a server used by 5 or 10 people. For example, a Minecraft server. I believe the problem arises from the amount of data you share, rather than how many users you serve. Then again, at 1mb/s, you probably wont get anywhere near the amount needed to raise suspicions.

Relevant article

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 705 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:57 AM
  • LocationAustralia

They have no right to check what you're doing anyways. So never admit you are sharing files then you be fine. Unlike that idiot.

Posted Image

flinker

flinker

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:57 PM

They have no right to check what you're doing anyways. So never admit you are sharing files then you be fine. Unlike that idiot.

Not true. It's their network and they have every right to treat traffic and their users as they like. Comcast suffers a bit from a lack of true understand of what broadband is. When they only played against dialup and DSL, they had a handle on what users expected and a fiar idea of what the internet was. Now that they have real boradband competition, they're struggling to maintain the overall network performance at some reasonable level for the greatest number of users.

It does sucka bit, but the alternatives to Comcast (or other cable provider) may be slim for many people.

It's not limited to 'dedicated' servers. They say 'stand-alone equipment or servers', which implies any type of server is prohibited.
That said, they wont shut down a server used by 5 or 10 people. For example, a Minecraft server. I believe the problem arises from the amount of data you share, rather than how many users you serve. Then again, at 1mb/s, you probably wont get anywhere near the amount needed to raise suspicions.

The key to serving whatever traffic you're a mind to is to use an encrypted VPN. If they can't identify what your traffic is, they can't identify it.

Basically I'm using a program called Serv-U to turn my old computer into a server I, and 5 others can access anywhere. It will contain my music, movie and comic library so that I don't have to manually share stuff via dropbox with them. It will not be on 24/7.

I was wondering if this was against comcast terms from a home internet connection. It says the following:

use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the Premises that provide network
content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises local area network (“Premises
LAN”), also commonly referred to as public services or servers.

My question is, what defines a dedicated server? From what I read, since it's not always on, and I'm not getting like 50+ million views, it's not a dedicated server is it?

1. Get yourself an account at http://www.noip.com/...with-no-ip-com/ so that you can have a "domain" instead of an IP address.
  2. Use a VPN connection for your server.

To run the server:

1. Launch the VPN connection.
  2. Launch the NO-IP DUC client. (read the getting started link)
  3. All done.

Don't forget to properly forward ports on the router.

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • Local time: 09:57 AM
  • LocationNew Zealand
Why pay money for a VPN when you're hosting stuff from home? You might as well get yourself a proper server with a 100mbit line...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users