Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MP4 larger then 4gb's crashes using NTFS USB Drive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:10 AM
  • LocationUnited States
I tried playing a movie on my tv that that was over 4gb on a NTFS USB drive VIA a media player & my TV's USB ports...the movie played fine, but once it was half way through it crashed...i thought it might have just been a bad encode, so i re-encoded it and tried again...it crashed in the same position...so i tried other movies and they all crashed at about the 4gb point in the video...But the movies played fine when i tried watching them on my computer VIA the USB drive...but on my TV & Media player it crashes....I went on LB's channel and was told that "32-bit MP4s max out at 4GB. You need 64-bit MP4 to go over 4GB. It's quite possible that some tools don't support the latter"...i got me one of those (At least i believe the one i got was a 64-bit MP4Box), and it still crashed at the same spot...I tried 3 muxers...Yamb, meGUI's muxer & My MP4Box GUI (And i also tried replacing the MP4Box that came with Yamb & My MP4Box GUI with THIS one, but if i did it would crash the program as soon as i hit the mux button)...All of these still made the video crash at the 4gb point...Anyone know how i can mux a mp4 file that is larger then 4gb? ...Im currently trying to mux 2 movies...Howls Castle which is 8gb & The Castle in the Sky which is 20gb...i dont wanna have to split these into multiple files....thats just not sexy :sweat:

**EDIT***
Just read this on doom9...

"There is no 4 GB limit for MP4. To build MP4s larger than 4GB the muxer must use 64bit addressing. Some players also need 64bit time stamps."

So im thinking the reason it DOES work on my computer is because my computer has that "64bit time stamps", but my TV & Media player dont....

Posted Image

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 807 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • Local time: 11:10 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand
why must it be mp4? use mkv.
better yet, connect your pc to the tv. that way, you wont have to piss around with all that bs.

that aside, i have no idea what the problem is (other than what you already stated about 64bit timestamps) :)

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States
Q - must it be mp4? use mkv.
A - My TV doesn't support MKV VIA its USB ports, and i like to make the files compatible with my TV, PS3 & an Xbox....just for universal usage :3 My media player DOES play MKV's (And i tested out the videos in MKV on my media player and they worked perfectly) but when connected directly to my TV VIA its USB ports i get the BEST quality...

And im thinking yes my TV & Media Player don't support that 64-bit container thingy, which is why it crashes at the 4gb point...Already tried making a fake mp4 using mkv merge, but that didnt play on my TV, so its no good....

And the reason i dont wanna connect my PC to my TV is because it bothers me having 2 things doing one task (I know they dont, but i feel they do)....feels like 2 electricity hogs running at once (Even tho my TV is SUPER energy efficient)...it irritates me...

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,276 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:10 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
So you need to get a new tv, or get multiple 32bit files to play the movie?

Posted Image

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States
Yup...Looks like im gonna have to split them...multiple files...ewww....but there is no other choice...except maybe avi....but...its avi....ewwwww.....

Posted Image

Sir Fluffykins

Sir Fluffykins

Fluffles

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:10 PM
Transferring files from Fat32 file system (mostly internal HD's) to a NTFS file system (mostly external Hd's) there is a set limit of 4gigs. To get around this, the external HD should be formated to Fat32

Some Media Players and certain externals Hd's do come in Fat32 but most are in NTFS and PVR's can only read from USB HD's in the Fat32 bit file system (LOGIC!).

Simply put, if I'm reading this right, the file systems are different so 4 gigs is all it'll read up to.

Format your USB drive to FAT32, then you can play any sizes. I've never heard of a MP4 file limit.

PERSONAL EXAMPLE: Disappeareance of Haruhi movie is 15 gigs big and was stuck on my HD. Trying to copy off the PC always gave me errors. After formating my external to FAT32, I was able to copy the file just fine and my PVR could also read the external, when before it couldn't.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,276 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:10 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Heruni

Ha!

Posted Image

jelle737

jelle737

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBelgium
Would it not be more energy efficient to connect your PC to your TV instead of letting first you PC run to encode it to the wished format and then replay it on your TV?

And about what Sir Fluffykins :up: says. Its the FAT32 witch is on a limited file size (the first sentence should be inverted)
You should check that HD of your, I am pretty sure it is NTFS!

3224737002.pngjelle737.png

Sir Fluffykins

Sir Fluffykins

Fluffles

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • 0 thanks

Ha!

I have no idea how I typed that...

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States
@Fluffy man - The USB drive im using is NTFS...and im transferring it from an internal drive on my PC (Which is also NTFS)...Also ive tried formatting the USB Drive as FAT32 using multiple methods (even cmd) but it wont work...my USB Drive is 64gb...IRC 30gb is the FAT32 limit...And i already know FAT32 has the 4gb limit, but there shouldnt be a limit since im using NTFS :no:

Posted Image

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 807 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand

@Fluffy man - The USB drive im using is NTFS...and im transferring it from an internal drive on my PC (Which is also NTFS)...Also ive tried formatting the USB Drive as FAT32 using multiple methods (even cmd) but it wont work...my USB Drive is 64gb...IRC 30gb is the FAT32 limit...And i already know FAT32 has the 4gb limit, but there shouldnt be a limit since im using NTFS :no:

yes, and i told you to make sure the devices you are using also support NTFS, but i'm pretty sure you just brushed that off.
to test, get that 20gb mkv file and play it on something that supports mkv.

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States

yes, and i told you to make sure the devices you are using also support NTFS, but i'm pretty sure you just brushed that off.
to test, get that 20gb mkv file and play it on something that supports mkv.

Both my TV & Media Player support NTFS. Ive been watching anime on a NTFS USB Drive using my TV's USB ports since June. Anime episodes work fine since they're at most like 2gb each....but not all movies work since some go over 4gb (Yes last night was the first time i watched an anime movie over 4gb)...

And also, i did try muxing the movie as an MKV last night and playing it on my media player (TV doesn't support MKV) and it worked perfectly ..but i need it in an MP4, so MKV is out... But at least i know its not the video itself (tried 3 different MP4 muxers, so its not the muxer either), but the container is the problem.

Posted Image

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 807 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand
how can you be sure its the container? test with another supported format for the tv. i'd assume avi would be supported.
take your 20gb file, and convert to avi for testing.

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States
Johnny your making me work :sweat: ...alright...ill try it...im thinking i can just mux the video & audio...ill look for a muxer...Also...dont know if you saw when i said that the 20gb mp4 works fine on my PC if im playing it VIA the USB Drive...so im thinking my TV & Media player dont support the 64-bit mp4 container (Which is has to be if the mp4 is over 4gb)...

**EDIT***
I have some stuff encoding ATM, so i didn't convert the mp4 to avi yet...but i DID remux it into an AVI using cmd (ffmpeg.exe -i myfile.mp4 -vcodec copy -an file(video_only).avi) and it didnt work...on my PC it kinda froze up a lot...and on my Media Player & TV it didnt even play...crashed immediately...Ill try converting it using some program later...

Posted Image

Sir Fluffykins

Sir Fluffykins

Fluffles

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • 0 thanks
I think you misunderstood what I said, there isn't any size limit on FAT32, or NTFS, there is a size limit when moving between the two file systems.

So, example:

You can move +245 gigs from NTFS to NTFS
You can move +4300 gigs from FAT32 to FAT32
You can only move 4gigs between NTFS and FAT32

So my theory is, which could be wrong, the TV is FAT32, so for files over 4gigs, you need your USB to ALSO be FAT32.

20gb mp4 works fine on my PC if im playing it VIA the USB Drive...

Theory:

1) They're both the same file system
2) It's on PC, it's reading the file directly, unlikel a DVD/MediaPlayer which streams the info

Hope I explained it better this time.

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 330 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:10 PM

there is a size limit when moving between the two file systems.

That is nonsense. Everything is read into a buffer in your RAM and written from that buffer, so it doesn't matter what filesystems you copy/move between.

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,329 posts
  • 219 thanks
  • Local time: 07:10 AM
FAT32 is a 32 bit indexing file system and will not support a single over 4GB period.

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte or 4,294,967,295 (232−1) bytes. This limit is a consequence of the file length entry in the directory table

NTFS on the other hand has a max single file limit in the TB range. so using NTFS on your flash drive should be suficent to copy single files over 4GB. why it is crashing i have no idea.

Sir Fluffykins

Sir Fluffykins

Fluffles

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • 0 thanks
So after wasting a lot of time copying between drives, I find I only had issue copying to the FAT32 USB Drive...which didn't make sense...then I checked my filesystems

and find they're ALL NTFS...being confused, I then remember I'm using the slightly newer PC, having given the older one to my Dad 1 year ago, heading over I prove the FAT32 limit...derp (>_<)

Apologies everyone!

^but still, the file limit still sounds the most plausiable reason for why the TV can't play the file.

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States
Ive decided that the reason my TV cant play mp4's larger then 4gb is because...

When you make an mp4 larger then 4gb it uses 64bit time stamp (Compared to a mp4 that is less then 4gb which uses 32bit time stamps). If you are using a NTFS drive you can successfully play 4gb+ mp4's on a Computer. This is because computers HAVE the playback capabilities to play these 64bit time stamps, but my TV & media player do not have the playback capabilities of a computer and therefor they do NOT have the capability to play mp4's that are 4gb+ because of the 64bit time stamps used to make mp4's that are 4gb+

From what i read, thats my final verdict :3 So im gonna have to split the mp4's...but the good thing is only movies are ever 4gb+...and i dont watch many movies cuz they take too long...so other then having multiple files for a single movie and having to play the next file after one of them ends, this wont effect me much :D

Posted Image

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 807 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand

Ive decided that the reason my TV cant play mp4's larger then 4gb is because...

When you make an mp4 larger then 4gb it uses 64bit time stamp (Compared to a mp4 that is less then 4gb which uses 32bit time stamps). If you are using a NTFS drive you can successfully play 4gb+ mp4's on a Computer. This is because computers HAVE the playback capabilities to play these 64bit time stamps, but my TV & media player do not have the playback capabilities of a computer and therefor they do NOT have the capability to play mp4's that are 4gb+ because of the 64bit time stamps used to make mp4's that are 4gb+

From what i read, thats my final verdict :3 So im gonna have to split the mp4's...but the good thing is only movies are ever 4gb+...and i dont watch many movies cuz they take too long...so other then having multiple files for a single movie and having to play the next file after one of them ends, this wont effect me much :D

my initial suggestion still stands to be the best. get rid of all these media players, and just use your pc. everything will be solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users