Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MY RANDOM ASS QUESTIONS!! xO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
704 replies to this topic

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:30 PM
  • LocationUnited States

So to work out the speed of what your meant to be getting for internet you divide it by 8? so if you have 80MB connection you should be getting 10MB download speed? also how do you calculate upload speed?

Also can someone explain to me how 1gb can be 1024 MB and 1000MB I was always teach at college that 1mb was 1024 KB, 1gb was 1024MB and 1TB is 1024 GB can someone explain why people say it is 1000?

As far as I can tell that is correct...divide by 8 to find the speed you should actually be downloading...As for upload, divide by 8 as well?...They are being measured in the same unit, so wouldn't it make sence to divide by the same number?...That's what I THINK anyways...can someone confirm this?

People usually round it out (at least I do)...Its easier to remember\add\divide\whatever by 1000, then it is by 1024...Its also easier when your talking with someone who is not very, or at all, familiar with data units (tb, gb, mb, kb, etc)...Personlly I use 1000 all the time, but if you wanna be accurate, you should use 1024...

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:30 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
even dividing by 8 to get MB/s rather than mbps will not get your actual download speed. That is more of a theoretical maximum, you will get slower than that. Though hopefully not too much slower.

Always does your maths accurately! Just use a calculator if you need one.

Posted Image

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States

Always does your maths accurately! Just use a calculator if you need one.

What if I don't have a calculator or my phone at my disposal? What if I don't wanna waste time being accurate, I just want a quick estimation? I don't really care about those extra 24mb...just makes all the math a pain... but of course if you REALLY want to be accurate, then go ahead and spend 5x longer to figure out the addition...even longer for multiplication...

Posted Image

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:30 AM
The k being 1000 stams from the metric system. Since a kilogram is 1000 gram it's pretty normal to say that a kilobyte is 1000 bytes.
However computers store data in bits, so they have an easier way of calculating 1024 (2^10) instead of 1000, so the people using computers prefered to use 1024 for it.
Since there was so much confusion in this and kilo was already in the metric system, it's now common to say that 1 kB equals 1000 bytes.
Also another standard was made for the binary ones, like KiBibyte (KiB), where Bi stands for Binary and 1 KiB equals 1024 bytes.

The advertised speed should definitely be your actual download speed (the Mbps divided 8), at least in cases like Cable and Fiber, since that is what your ISP is selling you. Only in cases like DSL, where your speed is strongly depending on how close you are to the DSLAM, your speed won't be what your ISP is telling you, since they can only offer a "maximum" speed. And well, of course some ISP's are just assholes and oversell their products while they don't actually have the backbone to support all traffic or actually traffic shape everything so your speeds might still be awful for P2P and the like.

Posted Image

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States
Leave it to Pinny to make us look like dip shits <_<

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,439 posts
  • 257 thanks
  • Local time: 01:30 AM
wait... are you saying that even the ISP's use the 1000 for K? im now curious as to which way they interpret K...

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks

Since there was so much confusion in this and kilo was already in the metric system, it's now common to say that 1 kB equals 1000 bytes.

:O I did not know this was common. People are so lazy/stupid.

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,439 posts
  • 257 thanks
well i for one just noticed while working on 2 different machines one ubuntu on fedora that one uses the 1000 for K and the other 1024 and Ki >.< why use different ones?!?! but at least they use proper notation....

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:30 AM
It works the same for bits: kilobits = 1000 bits and kibibits = 1024 bits.
But with bits you don't really need a binary system, since they already are bits :P
ISP's would always use 1000's since they could sell more Mbit/sec that way while it is less for them ;) Same with HD manufacturers. RAM suppliers do seem to have 1024's labeled, although wrongly (in GB instead of GiB), due to historic reason I suppose.

Also if you want to do it perfectly right, a kilo should be a lowercase k. So it's like kB, kb, kbps, kbit/s. Though the rest is still uppercase.

Something even more confusing is that Micro$oft uses kB for Windows while it is actually using 1024 bytes in their OS. My guess is that it's because they've used it like that since their first DOS and didn't wanna confuse people by "magically increasing your diskspace" with a new version. :P
This is also the biggest reason why your hard drives in Windows always look smaller than what they state on the labels. The rest that is missing is because of the file system. Though some drives do have less actual bytes than they label. :(

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks

This is also the biggest reason why your hard drives in Windows always look smaller than what they state on the labels

When i learnt this doing IT at school, it blew my mind.

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,439 posts
  • 257 thanks
lol and i remember a bunch of idiots online blaming it on formatting :rolleyes:

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Hahahahaha that made me laugh out loud. Of course there are people who would think that.

Posted Image

Pra7ul

Pra7ul

King of Pirates

• VIP
  • 382 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:00 PM
  • LocationWindmill Village
Pinny knows better, :P

i didn't know it was this confusing.. :sweat:

Pra7ul.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

iqpq.png

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States

lol and i remember a bunch of idiots online blaming it on formatting :rolleyes:

...Way to make me feel good about myself <_<...

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,439 posts
  • 257 thanks
well think of it this way, we can now welcome you to the non ignorant side ;)

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 02:30 AM
lol I remmebered when I first learned why this happens

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States
11) I have the Noctua NH-D14, and as some of you may now...this bitch is CHUUUUNKY...its so chunky that it nearly cover my PCIE16 slot on my Asus M5A99XEVO motherboard...luckily my motherboard has 3 PCIE16 slots :D...My GPU is arriving on Monday, but I don't think it will fit into PCIE16 Slot 1 (Because the Noctua NH-D14)...So my question...Is it O.K to put my GPU in PCIE16 Slot 2? Will they're be a performance difference? Will they're be ANY difference?

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

my Asus M5A99XEVO motherboard...luckily my motherboard has 3 PCIE16 slots :D

Is it O.K to put my GPU in PCIE16 Slot 2? Will they're be a performance difference? Will they're be ANY difference?

Motherboards are configured differently, so keep in mind that the answer to your question won't always be the same.

The Asus M5A99XEVO has three PCI-e x16 slots, but the black one is only capable of providing the bandwidth of an x4 slot. This means that this third slot will offer worse performance for cards that need lots of bandwidth (i.e. modern video cards, which may get bottlenecked).

As for the other slots, they share their available bandwidth. So, if you only use one of the blue/white PCI-e x16 slots, you will get the total available bandwidth there (x16), but if you use both interfaces simultaneously (i.e. with two cards in SLI/CrossFire), each slot will only get half the bandwidth (x8/x8).

Posted Image

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUnited States
Oo...Thanks for the quick reply & simple answer :D...Also thanks for the info on the black slot ;)

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Oo...Thanks for the quick reply & simple answer :D...Also thanks for the info on the black slot ;)

You caught me while I was editing my post. >.<

I went into a little more detail.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users