Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Good Free/Paid VPN?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 06:36 PM
Is there any good free VPN that people know of that don't have any download limits or speed caping?

and while we at it what is the some good paid for ones?

+ What do people think of them and does anyone use them?
vOEHoGZ.jpg

uwinaako

uwinaako

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:36 AM
  • LocationBehind you.
like this? http://www.anchorfree.com/

Posted Image

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • Local time: 07:36 AM
  • LocationNew Zealand
What are you looking for? VPN for torrents? I suggest getting a cheap seedbox.

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks

What are you looking for? VPN for torrents? I suggest getting a cheap seedbox.

VPN for everything (so torrent included) I am just thinking that it better to be as secure as possible. I have a very good connection a seedbox kind of becomes secondary (my thinking is that the main reason people get seedboxes becuase there don't have good connections). Paid VPN cost vs seedbox cost (yearly) would become a factor.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand

VPN for everything (so torrent included) I am just thinking that it better to be as secure as possible. I have a very good connection a seedbox kind of becomes secondary (my thinking is that the main reason people get seedboxes becuase there don't have good connections). Paid VPN cost vs seedbox cost (yearly) would become a factor.

Yes, but can the VPN keep up with your network? I doubt a free VPN would get you very far.
You could always get yourself a gigabit VPS (I've used seedmybox in the past). But all of this will end up costing you a bit of money either way you go.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 01:36 PM
dedi > vpn

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

MysterySword

MysterySword

Meitantei

• Trusted Encoders
  • 260 posts
  • 395 thanks
  • Local time: 02:36 PM
  • LocationFlagship Brunhilde
I'd like a VPN, as well (for all traffic, not just torrents). There are a few cheaper VPN providers that respect anonymity (and don't keep logs). They're about $70 USD annually at the cheapest. Only problem with VPN providers is they don't like multiple devices from the same account, so you'd have to bridge connections, which is quite a pain.

Anyone got a better option?

Ostinato

Ostinato

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:36 PM

dedi > vpn

What is a dedi when it's not an indecipherable abbreviation? And what's so great about it over a VPN?

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand

What is a dedi when it's not an indecipherable abbreviation? And what's so great about it over a VPN?

You do a lot more with a dedi than you can with a VPN. The advantages are kinda obvious really.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

dedicated server

They go for as cheap as 15 EUROs a month, have a stable connection of at least 100megabit dedicated to it (while VPN shares a connection with others). Since it's a fullblown server, you can do with it what you want. Run multiple seedboxes, xdcc bots, direct downloads, websites, etc.. You can even resell VPNs from that server to others.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks

dedicated server

They go for as cheap as 15 EUROs a month, have a stable connection of at least 100megabit dedicated to it (while VPN shares a connection with others). Since it's a fullblown server, you can do with it what you want. Run multiple seedboxes, xdcc bots, direct downloads, websites, etc.. You can even resell VPNs from that server to others.

I thought that a VPN is as good as your download speed, so if the VPN says it has no caps then it has no caps? But I did read that if your connect to a VPN that your upload speed becomes the speed of your connection and if that is indeed true then VPN is shit. I have heard that you can make your own VPN with a server but I don't know how that would work as it would still have your ip, so you would not have safe internet.

+ you can do all this Run multiple seedboxes, xdcc bots, direct downloads, websites, etc.. using home pc with VPN you would be safe?
vOEHoGZ.jpg

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Nothing you do will guarantee your safety. If the authorities want to find you, they will. You can try hide behind a VPN, but the payments you will make (credit card/paypal) are still available to the authorities if and when they would need them.
The chances of the authorities specifically aiming for a single person is slim though. They're more likely to go after a whole company. So you should stay away from the more popular places, like hidemyass.

A VPN won't increase the speed of your download/upload. If anything, it can slow them down. And yes, you can set up a seedbox at home with the VPN.

Ostinato

Ostinato

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks

dedicated server

How does that actually work from a users point of view? You connect via your own ISP connection to and from the server but then connect again to content from the server? Is that complicated? From the point of view of simplicity a VPN is immensely basic, but how would one actually utilise one's own server to accomplish all those things?

Forgive me i'm a novice when it comes to those things.....any useful links?

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

How does that actually work from a users point of view? You connect via your own ISP connection to and from the server but then connect again to content from the server? Is that complicated? From the point of view of simplicity a VPN is immensely basic, but how would one actually utilise one's own server to accomplish all those things?

Forgive me i'm a novice when it comes to those things.....any useful links?

Using VNC via your server.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg

Ostinato

Ostinato

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Doesn't that suffer the same flaw as the VPN though? Your connections from the Server will be under an IP range, and could be tracked back to the server (as easily as any other IP tracking i'd imagine). Then it's just linking back to you from the server, and if it's for your own personal use you're just as screwed as if you were tracked back via a VPN?

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand

Doesn't that suffer the same flaw as the VPN though? Your connections from the Server will be under an IP range, and could be tracked back to the server (as easily as any other IP tracking i'd imagine). Then it's just linking back to you from the server, and if it's for your own personal use you're just as screwed as if you were tracked back via a VPN?

You confuse me. I'm struggling to make sense of this, but I'll try.
Think of a dedicated server as a kind of VPN. You can use it to download everything. Torrents, xdcc and anything else you care to use to pirate your material. Once it's on your server, you can then download it via http (if you have set up a webserver, which I assume you would). Or if you want, just use FTP.
As for the authorities tracking you back, they'll only get your server's IP. From there they can investigate further and find you, but I doubt they would go that far for a single user.

Ostinato

Ostinato

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
That's what i assumed, and was trying to illustrate in my message. How is that "safer" than a VPN though? It's the same surely as they'd have your VPN IP, track back to the VPN company and from there get at you (i'm assuming IP's on a VPN aren't shared? If they are of course there's more reason to track back)

Faster i could see, but any more secure?

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand

That's what i assumed, and was trying to illustrate in my message. How is that "safer" than a VPN though? It's the same surely as they'd have your VPN IP, track back to the VPN company and from there get at you (i'm assuming IP's on a VPN aren't shared? If they are of course there's more reason to track back)

Faster i could see, but any more secure?

It really comes down to what you want to do. With a dedicated server, you can do a LOT more than what you can do with a VPN. That said, VPN's would undoubtedly be cheaper.
Neither is "more secure" than the other. They both achieve the same thing, just different ways.

Ostinato

Ostinato

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
OK i see it now. Figures that a Dedicated server would be useful for accumulating a lot of content quickly (in case of file life concerns) and then downloading from the server as your own bandwidth/speed permits, whereas a VPN is basically identical to every day web browsing. Of course the former is far more versatile but it seems beyond what many of the casual "downloaders" would ever require, unless they intended to host in some way shape or form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users