Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WD Red vs WD Green

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks
  • Local time: 12:05 AM
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia
Well, I've had WDs and Seagates begin to die on me, so I really have no preference. I do like WD's RMA system though.

Anyway, went with the Greens. Found some on eBay with warranty until February 2014 for cheaper than the Seagates.

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 03:05 AM

Well, I've had WDs and Seagates begin to die on me, so I really have no preference. I do like WD's RMA system though.

Anyway, went with the Greens. Found some on eBay with warranty until February 2014 for cheaper than the Seagates.

I would not trust computer tech from eBay

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:05 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Yeah that shit seems dodgy

Posted Image

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks

I would not trust computer tech from eBay

Why not? I checked the serials, and they're giving me valid warranty data. I get a lot of stuff from eBay. As long as it has warranty, I'll go for what's cheaper.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 02:05 AM

Why not? I checked the serials, and they're giving me valid warranty data. I get a lot of stuff from eBay. As long as it has warranty, I'll go for what's cheaper.

Have you shopped NewEgg? Typically they've got great deals, and often send out promo codes for extra savings.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks
The problem is that I live in California, so I get hit with 8.75% tax if I order from them.

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
I dont trust ebay because I dont know the people selling them, for all I know they could be putting up false pictures and serial numbers

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:05 AM

I dont trust ebay because I dont know the people selling them, for all I know they could be putting up false pictures and serial numbers

eBay has a lot of customer protection nowadays. Especially when paying with PayPal, since they own it.

And tbh, if you're like that I'm guessing you've never bought something 'used' over the internet in your life?

Posted Image

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Local time: 09:05 AM
  • LocationEurope
I would never buy a used hard drive, because you never now what data the previous owner had stored on it.
Over the last years, I read several articles in which the magazines bought used hard drives and smartphones to test if, and how good, the sellers destroyed their data. And the results were shocking...

You can call me paranoid now, but we are all pirates more or less and we could get busted for that.
And if the prosecution wants your deleted data to be restored to collect more evidence, you really don't want them to find possible traces of c_ildab_se, _oli_on, ani_al_nuff, ect.... from a previous owner (removed letters because of the Googlebot).

Well, just my two cents :mellow:

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:05 AM
There are tools to completely wipe a drive. If you rewrite the sectors a dozen times with these tools it will be safe enough. :P

Can't understand why anyone would sell their hard drive anyway, can never have enough space!

Posted Image

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

BakaBakaBaka

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:05 PM
  • LocationUnited States
I have a method of choosing were I purchase my online stuff...if its something that I know is ALWAYS the same (Video Games, Movies, etc) Ill it buy from ebay because MOST of the time its cheaper...I've saved myself hundreds by buying from ebay...if its something specific, delicate, or something I'm unsure of (Cables, harddrives, Utilities, etc) ill buy it from Amazon...to me, ebay is a place were you buy items that you already know are the same as everywere else (Video Games, Movies, etc), items that are hard to find (antiques, collectibles, foreign stuff), or somewere you can find something AWESOME for that 5$ left over from your last purchase...however, I would NEVER trust ebay with Harddrives, Motherboards, or ANY delicate items...Mainly because there is no ACTUALL product description...just what the seller wants to put...also there are usually NO customer reviews on products...Backtracking to what I started with, DON'T trust ebay for delicate\specific\unsure of items...especially if its something delicate and expensive (harddrives, Computer parts)...even if it costs an extra 10$ on somewere like Amazon or Newegg, I would go to them...However, if its a seller you've done dealings with, and were satisfied with the product, then why the hell not :P

P.S
I purchased a HDTV from ebay and I LOVE it...I bought it seller refurbished, at half the retail cost, and in PERFECT condition...so I'm not saying ebay is TOTALLY unreliable...just make sure the seller has A LOT of posotive feedback, you know the condition & functionality of the product, and you understand the warrenty as well as return policy...

P.S.S
I've NEVER had problems with a SINGLE online purchase I've made. Everytime I receive the product, I ALWAYS rate 5 stars. I've NEVER returned\exchanged\had problems with ANYTHING I purchased online...sure there are some things I did not like (Video Games, Movies, etc), but it wasn't the sellers fault...I just didn't like it as much as I thought i would...Depending on the cost, I always research what I'm buying for a decent amount of time...when I bought my HDTV, I researched the model, manufacture & seller for about 2 weeks...but when I buy a poster, I just check the dimensions and buy it...

Posted Image

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks

Then you get a refund from eBay, and the seller gets punished. The seller protection is excellent. In fact, there are plenty of cases with buyer fraud.

I would never buy a used hard drive, because you never now what data the previous owner had stored on it.
Over the last years, I read several articles in which the magazines bought used hard drives and smartphones to test if, and how good, the sellers destroyed their data. And the results were shocking...

You can call me paranoid now, but we are all pirates more or less and we could get busted for that.
And if the prosecution wants your deleted data to be restored to collect more evidence, you really don't want them to find possible traces of c_ildab_se, _oli_on, ani_al_nuff, ect.... from a previous owner (removed letters because of the Googlebot).

Well, just my two cents :mellow:

Blast the drive with zeros. Problem solved.

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
just run the drive under gunlock with DBAN and you will never see any data recovered on that drive

I have bought from Ebay but only new, there have been some cases where I bought something and returned it just because the seal was broken on the product, I will never buy used tech from someone I dont know

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks
But why, though?