Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WD Red vs WD Green

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Local time: 08:49 AM
  • LocationEurope
Anime and Artworks are eating up my disc space once again and so I've decided to buy a new one tomorrow.
It has only been 2 month since I bought my last 2TB storage....I mean...this is still normal, right?...RIGHT? :sweat:

Anyways...I'm always buying Western Digital's "Green" series for their durability which hasn't failed me yet.
Now I just see that there has been a new "Red" series available for about 2 weeks.
But on WD's website, I can hardly find any information about it apart from a 3-year-warranty (instead of 2) and even more durability due to something that is called NASware and optimization for computers that run 24/7.

Here in Europe, the price is about 25% higher compared to the Green series.

Since I'm mainly using my hard drives for archiving and P2P, those new features sound interesting, but if my memory serves right, before the Red series, the green ones also had a 3-year-warrenty.

So, is the Red series indeed better, or is it just some marketing bakabaka?

And now the anti-TLTR version:

WD Red vs WD Green - what is better for mainly P2P usage and archiving? :lol:

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • Local time: 07:49 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand
I'd say Green. Mainly because I hear that Reds are for NAS (which isn't "always on"), and because I have never used a Red drive before.

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:49 AM
Seems like the Red has a MTBF of 1,000,000 instead of the 750,000 a Green/Blue has. So it "should" last longer.
Also the performance per watt seems quite a bit higher for the Red's.
The Red is about 20 EUR, and only uses 1 watt more if you use it actively. So that would be about 2 EUR/year if you let it run 24/7 actively. You'd have to use it for 10 years :P so it's pointless to do it for the "power saving" you would get over the Green.
And if they actually last longer is hard to say when no one is using it yet.

I would go with the 5400rpm Greens for archiving and let them spindown when not in use to keep the rotations to a minimum. And for P2P I would get a >=7200rpm ~500G drive. :)

Some reviews:
http://www.pcmag.com...,2407614,00.asp
http://www.tomshardw...nas,3248-9.html

Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 01:49 AM
Haven't heard of RED, but GREEN's are not that great either.

I'd go with Blue personally, although Black is better performance wise (they can be a bit louder).

Green's the way they're made allows for it to sort of go into sleep mode till you use it, which causes lag/freeze up when you first try to use it often times, and shit.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 02:49 AM
I would go green just because the Red are new so let others test the waters before you do, you dont want to have to spend all that time re downloading everything, I am in the process to move all my anime to my HDD inside my computer because the externals are going to die

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Local time: 07:49 AM
  • LocationUK

I'd go with Blue personally, although Black is better performance wise (they can be a bit louder).

I hear that "Once you go black, you never go back", although that could just be hearsay. :censored:

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

I'd go with Blue personally, [...]

I agree and I would love to buy the BLUE's, but unfortunately, the largest BLUE's are 1TB and I need >=2TB.

I hear that "Once you go black, you never go back", although that could just be hearsay. :censored:

You probably can't go back, because you are broke after you have bought one :P I find them freakin' expensive (meh is a college student).

I'd say Green.

I would go green just because the Red are new so let others test the waters before you do, [...]

I would go with the 5400rpm Greens for archiving and let them spindown when not in use to keep the rotations to a minimum. And for P2P I would get a >=7200rpm ~500G drive. :)

@ pinny
Thanks for the interesting links.
I don't need much performance for P2P, since my upload speed is piss-poor (128KBs).
To counteract my speed issue, I just seed terabytes of data and trade in my points for upload credit then :)

@ all
Thanks for your opinions. I will stick with the GREEN's and buy an additional one tomorrow.

Regards!

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
good choice, I personally have 4 1.5TB Green drives in my desktop that I use for anime games isos and music

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope
I have 1x 128GB SSD, 1x 1TB Blue and 3x 2TB Green (tomorrow 4x). I use the blue one for backups.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:49 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
9x2TB green drives. No issues, previous greens have been great as well. I have only had these die when i reverse the pins on a molex cable and fried them myself.

That said, all my OS drives have been black (unless SSD), I have abused these drives for years and they still run fine.

Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
I've got a 1TB Green, 2x 2TB Green, and a 1TB Blue myself. Haven't had any issues with any of them, but the Greens are a lot slower than the Blue, plus I have to wait for them to load when first clicking on them from the My Computer screen if they haven't been accessed in a while... as Greens are suppose to go into some sleep mode or something to save power. Green's are recommended only for storing data, playing videos off of, etc.. Do no use them for OS or primary. It'd probably be a good idea to not use them for gaming either.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
yeah I agree all of my games are on my 2nd SSD, while all my anime is on my green drives, and my encode stuff is on the Black drive

lightningblade.jpg
2588255.png

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks
  • Local time: 11:49 PM
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia
I'm going to hijack this thread and ask my own question: Two WD30EZRX, two ST3000DM001, or one of each. The WDs are about $11 more than the Seagates.

JohnFlower

JohnFlower

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 810 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • Local time: 07:49 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand
I went with the 2 3tb greens myself. The reason was mainly for the longer warranty, couldn't care less about speed.

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

I'm going to hijack this thread and ask my own question: Two WD30EZRX, two ST3000DM001, or one of each. The WDs are about $11 more than the Seagates.

I bought the WD20 today, so I would recommend you the WD30's if you like it a bit quieter and want a 2-year-warrenty :)
If you prefer performance, go for two St3000's, since they have 7200rpm (WD30 has 5400rps).

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

Go with WD over SG any day.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Go with WD over SG any day.

I second this opinion.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:49 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I third(?) this.

Unless you go back in time

Posted Image

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks
  • Local time: 11:49 PM
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia
Yeah looks like the Greens. The price jumped up on the Seagates while I was waiting your advice, haha. I don't mind WD, since I know how their RMA system works.

Other than that though, why the recommendations? Simply because of the warranty?

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

Other than that though, why the recommendations? Simply because of the warranty?

Never had any problems with WD. Only drives I've had issues with happen to be SeaGate.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users