Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

rip (encodes) vs original

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 10:01 AM
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Of course there will be a difference in compression if you change the compression settings (i.e. preset level), but assuming a constant preset, there would be no real-world difference between encodes from two computers of varying CPU power beyond the time they would need. ;)

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
oh i meant to note on there that better CPU's can do the slower presets while maintaining the same fps...

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

oh i meant to note on there that better CPU's can do the slower presets while maintaining the same fps...

Ah, gotcha. :)

Posted Image

shuurin

shuurin

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCaptured in world of anime!
Excellent thread is excellent - more of these insight (into encoding, TVs, ODs, etc.) giving threads pls!

Dragon Logic

Dragon Logic

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:01 AM
  • LocationCanadia
I would also like to note that this is theoretically true for a thread (either threads=1 or just have a single-processor CPU): a faster CPU (with more megahertz and more overclocked, mainly) will process more frames with the same settings or process the same amount with higher compression settings.

But a better rig will have a CPU with a higher processor count (like a quad-core hyper-threaded i7), which increases encoding speed at identical settings because it divvies up the work (x264 automatically sets threads=12 for a 4-real, 4-hyperthreaded processor system; it uses 1.5*amount of seen processors to set threads), When you divvy up the work, you have a situation where quality is decreased at the same settings, proportional to the amount of threads used. This quality loss is usually visible around threads=16, which is pretty close to what I have (in fact, you can by an i7 CPU out there that reaches that count now).

You can fool around with settings a little more and get a better quality: a non-deterministic x264 encode would usually give a better quality for the same settings, but now you can't predict what's gonna come out of the encoder (becuase encode now depends on what's happening inside the CPU).

Anyways, that's my rant.

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 11:01 AM
hmm interesting stuff ... but I will have to stick to what I know ... not how it works lol

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users