Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What to watch next...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:57 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Once I finish Ghost Stories (the dub because of the LOLs), I will have nothing else to watch. So I went through my 'To watch' list and started downloading a few:

Bokurano
Familiar of Zero
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
Kaiba
Kateikyoushi Hitman REBORN!
Sakamichi no Apollon
Seitokai no Ichizon
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Tsuritama
Wolf's Rain

Now I just got to figure out which one I will watch next!

Hope you guys can help me.

Edit:
If you think one of these would be better than let me know. Forgot to look at my non-BakaBT list...
Spoiler

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 02:57 AM
wolfs rain and gunslinger are the only 2 i recognize off your list that i know where good shows.

Freeman

Freeman

Battōsai

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • 59 thanks
  • Local time: 12:57 AM
  • LocationUSA, IL
Wolf's Rain and Blue Gender Epic anime's. Kaiba not bad, but gets boring half way through (not super reccomended). Also you might want to try out Maison Ikkoku (one of my favorite animes). Devil May Cry was also pretty good.

Beauty.jpg

Favorite Anime in Order: Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, DBZ Franchise, G Gundam, Outlaw Star, Maison Ikkoku, One Piece, GTO, Blue Exorcist, Air Gear, Attack on Titian, Rurouni Kenshin, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Magi, Get Backers, Fullmetal Alchemist, Street Fighter II V, Gundam Wing, Trinity Blood, S-CRY-ed, Golden Boy, Salary Man Kintaro, Crying Freeman, Fairy Tail, Tenchi Muyo OVA's, Trigun, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Jormungand, Blue Gender, Claymore, Baki the Grappler, Samurai Champloo, Ping Pong Club, Kyo Kara Maoh, My Bride is a Mermaid, Hajime no ippo, Black Lion, Gurren Lagann, High School of the Dead, Hellsing, Toriko, Fist of the North Star, Slam Dunk, Bleach, Desert Punk, Blood Lad, Ushio & Tora, Space Dandy, Btooom, Inital D, Lupin the III, Gokusen, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Afro Samurai, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai 7, Blood +, Kenichi, Case Closed, Cyborg 009, Chrome Shelled Regios, School Rumble, Inuyasha, Baka and Test

Ero Penguin

Ero Penguin

Mushi

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:57 PM
From the first list:
Kaiba
Sakamichi no Apollon
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Wolf's Rain

From the 2nd list:
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Hell Girl/Jigoku Shoujo (same thing)

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Local time: 07:57 AM
  • LocationUK
Hmmm, the only one from your first list that I have seen (but dropped) was Wolfs Rain.

From the second list though, there are quite a few good ones: Black Butler (which is the same as Kuroshitsuji, just sayin'), Negima (The second version is better imo), Soul Eater, Slayers, One Piece.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 01:57 AM
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I'd watch Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon from the first list -- I feel like it's your kind of show, and BECK from the second list.

Also, I highly recommend picking up One Piece and watching it slowly over time ('cause it's so damn long). I managed to watch it over the past few months and I absolutely adore the show now.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Wolf's Rain certainly seems like a popular choice, except megagold5 dropping it! May go with that.

I was orignally tossing up between Sakamichi no Apollon, or Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. However, if I had to watch now, it would be a sci-fi-ish so Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon or Kaiba. But I have good 15 hours or so before I got to choose. Still more time to see what others think and see if my mood changes!

thanks to everyone so far!

Posted Image

Freeman

Freeman

Battōsai

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • 59 thanks
  • LocationUSA, IL

Also, I highly recommend picking up One Piece and watching it slowly over time ('cause it's so damn long). I managed to watch it over the past few months and I absolutely adore the show now.

Agreed with every word. One Piece beats every single anime on this list.

Beauty.jpg

Favorite Anime in Order: Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, DBZ Franchise, G Gundam, Outlaw Star, Maison Ikkoku, One Piece, GTO, Blue Exorcist, Air Gear, Attack on Titian, Rurouni Kenshin, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Magi, Get Backers, Fullmetal Alchemist, Street Fighter II V, Gundam Wing, Trinity Blood, S-CRY-ed, Golden Boy, Salary Man Kintaro, Crying Freeman, Fairy Tail, Tenchi Muyo OVA's, Trigun, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Jormungand, Blue Gender, Claymore, Baki the Grappler, Samurai Champloo, Ping Pong Club, Kyo Kara Maoh, My Bride is a Mermaid, Hajime no ippo, Black Lion, Gurren Lagann, High School of the Dead, Hellsing, Toriko, Fist of the North Star, Slam Dunk, Bleach, Desert Punk, Blood Lad, Ushio & Tora, Space Dandy, Btooom, Inital D, Lupin the III, Gokusen, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Afro Samurai, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai 7, Blood +, Kenichi, Case Closed, Cyborg 009, Chrome Shelled Regios, School Rumble, Inuyasha, Baka and Test

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 02:57 AM
one piece got boring and repetitive to me after Ep 65 or so.

Animefan93

Animefan93

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 770 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:57 AM
  • LocationUK
BECK for the second list and i would say Zero no Tsukaima, also i would say to watch Katekyo Hitman Reborn the same way as stab suggested watching One Piece.

animefan93.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

7dnghn-5.png

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
I have been avoiding One Piece because it is just so long. I also feel it will be like Fairy Tail, which was as One Piece is to Cman "got boring and repetitive to me after Ep 65 or so."

I will get to it one day!

Posted Image

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:57 PM
Agree with Ero Penguin most (dude's got good taste).

Out of that list I'd say that Kaiba is easily the most worthwhile, and since it's a 1 cour show, should be pretty easy to rip through.
I've heard good things about Sakamachi not Apollon, but only watch it if you're in the mood for high school love polygons. Music is good though.
I've already made my feelings about Tsuritama clear, so I won't repeat them here.
Hell Girl is rather good, but you have to be in a patient mood, and willing to tolerate a fair bit of repetition. First season had an excellent, excellent, excellent finale, worth watching just for that.
Soul Eater is good if you're in a slightly dumb, actiony, shouneny kind of mood. Same goes for Black Cat.
I've heard Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is disappointing considering the premise and lead in. Personally I lost all interest in it when the real earthquake hit.
I still haven't finished Serial Experiments Laid <_<, but not because it isn't good, because it's intense, and I haven't worked up the energy for it with Uni and all. If you want a good mindfuck series though, def recommended.
I saw a few episodes of Wolf's Rain and thought it was pretty good in spite of its premise.

So depends a lot on your mood, but here's a rough priority order in terms of objective (as much as is possible) quality:
1. Kaiba (by a decent margin)
2. Tsuritama
3. Hell Girl
After that it's too close to call.
Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
One Piece is the highest selling manga by far. If you were to add Fairy Tail, Bleach, Naruto, and Hunter x Hunter sales all together, they still would be less than One Piece (this was actually proven and posted on ANN). There is a reason it sells so much. There is a reason why it's animated in HD, while Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail are all animated at 480p and only upscaled. One Piece does not get repetitive, which is an amazing feat for a show as long as it is (did you know the longest running anime series is Doraemon with almost 1,800 episodes?). Every arc is completely different, every character is well developed, every enemy is unique, every devil fruit ability is unique, the artwork is really unique, etc. One Piece, deserves the reputation it has, period.

Sadly Cman seems to have dropped the show right before it finally gets past the initial gathering the group and back-stories. Should have at least watched till the end of Alabasta (episode 130) to really decide if the show just isn't for you (no such thing as a show that everyone will enjoy, so even the highest selling series will have people who don't like it of course).

That being said, you MUST absolutely watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 period. It's in my top 3 out of over 600 series for a damn good reason. ^.^

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks
Sales = Quality

Oh yeah, I forgot that's how it works.

Not trying to say One Piece isn't good, just hate argumentum ad populum.
Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

Sales = Quality

Oh yeah, I forgot that's how it works.

Not trying to say One Piece isn't good, just hate argumentum ad populum.

That isn't what I meant to say at all. I never once said sales = quality. Only that (imo) the quality of the show itself warrants the sales it has gotten.

Despite it being way more popular than any other manga out there, you don't really see idiotic fanboi's running around saying it's the greatest thing ever with their first grade grammar either. The fanbase it has, seems to like it for the quality, unlike fans of say Bleach.

I'm not saying One Piece is the greatest show ever either. In fact it probably wouldn't even make my top 10 list.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks
I didn't misinterpret anything. I know you didn't say "it has great sales so obviously it's good", yes, you do back it up with valid points (variety, consistency, well-developed etc.), yet when recommending it you bothered to quote the sales and how they compare to other, similar shows, even citing a reference. This has a definite implication, whether you say it outright or not.

Also, don't you think expecting someone to watch 130 episodes to decide whether they like it or not is a little ridiculous? That's like 50 hours of their time just to confirm if they want to keep watching or not.

Re Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, I bow to your superior knowledge of the series.
Posted Image

Will

Will

Rurouni

• VIP
  • 319 posts
  • 0 thanks
Also, I've seen plenty of said idiotic fanboys running around yelling how great One Piece is, I don't think the fanbase if really relevant though. I mean Portal has a fanbase full of mewling retards endlessly repeating "the cake is a lie", but it's still a damn great game.
Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Also, I've seen plenty of said idiotic fanboys running around yelling how great One Piece is, I don't think the fanbase if really relevant though. I mean Portal has a fanbase full of mewling retards endlessly repeating "the cake is a lie", but it's still a damn great game.

0N3 P13C3 IS AMAZINGUUU!!!1~~~~

I liek luffy he is so cool his powers are really unique and the anime is drawn really good

:rolleyes:

Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

don't you think expecting someone to watch 130 episodes to decide whether they like it or not is a little ridiculous?

Yes, I understand that very well. I typically drop shows within the first couple episodes if I'm going to drop something.
It's just, before the Alabasta arc, One Piece is mostly just build up as to why and how each of the crew ends up as part of the crew.
Sure Arlong Park was a great arc as well, but Alabasta was where the show really shined in many of the fans opinions (that's not to say later arcs aren't better though either, but)...

I don't think the fanbase if really relevant though.

I don't either actually, because I don't really care what other people think of a show, as long as I like it, then that's all that matters. Just felt like saying it.
I have no doubt there is people out there like that, but I haven't seen them in numbers like I have for Bleach, at least in the communities I frequent.
Typically those types of fanbois from what I've seen praise Bleach as the best thing ever, and completely hate One Piece.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg

Mallory

Mallory

Keyblade Wielder

• Administrators
  • 290 posts
  • 0 thanks
Kuroshitsuji and D.Gray-man for sure.

Posted Image

"One Sky, One Destiny"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users