Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

what animes should get dubbed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Local time: 07:53 AM
  • LocationUK

I watched it on TV initially, but I also have the English audios ripped by someone else, and they seem to be in decent quality if you ask me, expect one or two may be...I'm planning to upload Season 1 with those audios soon (I hope), may be you can compare them with the ones your existing ones?

I have the episodes synced by IFA1. Not sure where his audios were sourced from, but I think latter episodes were done by himself. Maybe you could send me an example of one of the audio tracks so I can see if they sound the same?

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

hhsquall

hhsquall

Hikikomori

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:53 PM
  • LocationCanada
When I started watching anime I had a hard time with Japanese audio. Back then I got my hands on some great shows with above average, to great English voice acting: Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin series, Ghost in the Shell (movie), Chobits,... And I really liked them in English. However, as I dunk more into anime, I watched more and more titles in Japanese, and I enjoyed them immensely; to the point that when I rewatched the above shows, I did so in Japanese audio, and I couldn't stand the English voice acting anymore!
Don't get me wrong, some titles got exceptional dubs (Bebop and GitS immediately come to mind), however, I think that jokes and innuendos are enjoyed best when heard in their original language, and dubbing kills some of their effects. This becomes more apparent as you continue watching shows in their original voice acting, as you become familiar with them and you start "getting" the jokes without resorting to the subtitles.
Personally, I don't watch any anime in English anymore, so I always prefer a single-audio (Japanese) releases :D The same goes for the Japanese games, esp. RPGs :) I played some of my favorite titles on PS2 as their undub version (Japanese audio with Eng sub, playable only with hacked PS2 or an emulator) which is quite amazing, and those titles which allow you to choose the audio language always win my love :)

mystikal2001us

mystikal2001us

ES Force

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Local time: 02:53 AM
  • LocationNapTown
In the past sure the japanese tracks were better, but you have to admit, the english dubs have been getting better in recent years, for example "fate stay nite series and movie", the english version was on par with the japanese tracks. And I find I understand the anime alittle better on the english track than japanese.

I do agree, thou, I like dual audio choice the best. even though I always have it on english :lol:

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 01:53 AM
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I've said it time and time again, but I'll say it once more just to contribute my two cents.

I don't like dubs -- I'm a hardcore sub watcher. ;)

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:53 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
You are cool Stabby!

This is not the place to argue subs vs dubs, so to add something constructive.... mystikal2001us is right, dubs are improving a lot. Or so I can tell from the few occasions I have not changed the audio track to Japanese quick enough :P

Posted Image

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 02:53 AM
the only series that I will watch with a dub are the series that I grew up on (which were dubed, since they were on cartoon network) for example series like Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Dragon Ball and DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and many other classics

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

but you have to admit, the english dubs have been getting better in recent years

I don't think so. Sure there are a lot of decent dubs coming out, but thats all there is... decent. Almost everything by FUNimation is hit or miss. D.Gray-man, Fairy Tail, etc.. have all gotten terrible dubs for some of the key characters. In the past, sure we had a lot of garbage dubs, but when we got a good one it was a great one. If I was to make a list of the top 10 dubs of all time, I doubt anything from the last 7 years would even get close to being on the list. So while I watch dubs more often than not if it's available for a series, I actually cannot agree about the quality going up. Yes we may not be getting as terrible as we did, but on the other foot, we aren't getting as great as we did either. Most dubs are just borderline good or bad these days.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks
What are the animes that should be dubbed In engrish? The Garden of Sinners and Fate/Zero to name a few.

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

What are the animes that should be dubbed In engrish? The Garden of Sinners and Fate/Zero to name a few.

Gintama.

Posted Image

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Gintama.

Has anyone heard the dub for the Gintama movie yet? Is it any good?

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

Animefan93

Animefan93

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 770 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUK
Am easy going if its already got a dub track as default then i watch dubbed or if its from this website from the encoders that live here, if not subbed. As of late i have only been downloading subbed, just cause they are easier to get, takes up less space.

animefan93.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

7dnghn-5.png

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

The Gintama movie is actually just the Benizakura arc from the anime. I'm not sure if it got retouched or anything, though.

Posted Image

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

The Gintama movie is actually just the Benizakura arc from the anime. I'm not sure if it got retouched or anything, though.

So I have heard, but it did get a dub, unlike the series. I am hoping it did well enough to warrant a dub for the main series so I can finally watch it, lol.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

core2duo

core2duo

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSweden
i really hope that fate/zero will be dubed cuz i love that show, so i hold my thumbs!

DeathScythe

DeathScythe

Meitantei

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • Local time: 12:53 PM

Some customer reviews at Amazon and one feature at ANN praised the Gintama dub, except the dub of Shinpachi, where all agreed that he sounded quite terrible.
Well Sentai said that may license more of the series if the sales of the movie is good, but didn't confirm if it would be dubbed or not.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:53 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia

the only series that I will watch with a dub are the series that I grew up on (which were dubed, since they were on cartoon network) for example series like Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Dragon Ball and DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and many other classics

It is hard to get away from the voices you fell in love with. I tried watching the japanese audio of Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and a few others and it just seems wrong.

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

It is hard to get away from the voices you fell in love with. I tried watching the japanese audio of Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and a few others and it just seems wrong.

This is a good point, but the opposite is also true -- no two voice actors are alike. It's hard to go from Japanese to English audio when you've grown accustomed to certain seiyuus.

Posted Image

Sonics99

Sonics99

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 37 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:53 PM
I used to keep up on the license side of this industry almost exclusively, so I don't know if it has already been announced, but I would love to see the rest of Hellsing Ultimate dubbed after the pioneer dropoff (4 I believe), and I'd like to see the new berserk picked up by somone.

There are a couple of other shows that would never happen but are nice dreams like Slam Dunk and Kodocha which I have only parts of the show dubbed.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

I used to keep up on the license side of this industry almost exclusively, so I don't know if it has already been announced, but I would love to see the rest of Hellsing Ultimate dubbed after the pioneer dropoff (4 I believe), and I'd like to see the new berserk picked up by somone.

There are a couple of other shows that would never happen but are nice dreams like Slam Dunk and Kodocha which I have only parts of the show dubbed.

5-8 is licensed, while 5-7 dvd will be released this year as well as 1-4 blu-ray from what I understand.
Berserk movie also licensed by FUNimation, but it'll likely not be out till late next year.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Shima

Shima

Mangaka

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:23 PM
  • LocationIndia
The Berserk Golden Age arc films have been licensed by VIZ Mdia, not FUNi.
They do plan on dubbing the trilogy; Apparently, the first film's dub will be available to view on their upcoming Neon Alley service, which is also where they plan to first show the Ao no Exorcist dub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users