Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Copyright vs Subtitles?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Neutron_Collapse

Neutron_Collapse

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 09:09 AM
  • LocationCanada
According to this article, there is a possibility that if you are a subtitler and making subs for other languages on TV shows and films, you are violating copyright now that the site owner has been fined in Norway.

Should the the subtitler community for anime be concerned? I am not so sure as it has always been a grey area and they have been translating/scripting/formatting for many years now for thousands of series and films to localize the material in dozens of languages for people who don't understand the source language and so far, I haven't seen any massice take downs. But I do fear that possibility however. If that ever happens, well known encoders will be out too.
Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 12:09 PM
  • LocationMichigan, USA
That makes no sense. I could understand if the subtitle files themselves were under copyright and were still being shared, but I have to admit that I'm honestly a little confused and worried if fan-made subtitles were considered copyright infringement. I mean, it's not as if adding subtitles takes credit for someone else's work; if anything, you're just expanding a given product and extending its lifecycle. :rolleyes:

Damn people and their anachronistic business models.

Posted Image

Hark0n

Hark0n

Meitantei

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:09 PM
  • LocationLatvia
Judging from the article, large part of subtitles probably were made by title owners or companies connected to distribution. The amount of subtitles just seems too high for just fan made materials. If that is the case, than that makes sense.
Also the subtitles were associated to illegally downloadable copies, so it could also be aimed to decrease illegal downloads of the movies themselves.
Regardless of the reason, it looks silly to prevent subtitle distribution and not the movies.
As for anime, Funimation seems to be only company that has brought subtitled anime downloading to court, but it was about the whole package not just the subs.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:09 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Useless. Just useless. What backstab says seems right. I think it will be very hard to say it is a copyright in infringement. But more stupid things have been taken to court and won.

Posted Image

WaveZero

WaveZero

LOLing

• VIP
  • 704 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:09 AM
  • LocationAustralia
Wow just read the article, if I was that judge I would've told the media company to just shut the fuck up. LOL Seriously I would, since this is utter stupid.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
I know! Unless cases wasting court time should get fined like areas of Europe

Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
Yes, even fanmade subtitles has always been in the gray area to illegal.
FUNimation has even given out C&D orders to fansub groups that didn't release anything but .ass scripts (no video), simply because it was subtitles for a show they had the license to.

This is nothing new.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Copy right protection is getting absurd. I was reading an article in the paper how, piracy (illegal downloads) as a significant impact on revenue, it was going on and on about it. Yet they never provided any evidence for it. The few peer-reviewed studies avaliable suggest it acttually has negligable to positive effects on revenue.

Posted Image

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 05:09 PM
People who pirate were never going to buy it in the first place, so really there have not lost any sales (it just company BS).
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

People who pirate were never going to buy it in the first place, so really there have not lost any sales (it just company BS).

Or, we buy what we liked, only after first having had pirated.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Ya, it is what many people do. I have spent several 1000 on buying my favorites, after downloading them to see if I want to buy it. Though I cannot afford to keep my purchases up with my viewing of pirated content.

Posted Image

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks

Or, we buy what we liked, only after first having had pirated.

Yer true but still it proves it company BS, lets say for easy numbers that 10 people pirate a anime and of the 10, 3 people buy the anime. The Company would say that there lost 10 sales but really there only lost 7 sales and gained 3 sales (I'm basically saying that companys make out that pirating is worse then it is beacuse its to there advantage)
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
That is incorrect though. Out of the 7 people who pirated it and did no later buy it. Most of that 7 would not have bought it even if it could not be pirated. If I could not download load TBs of movies and TV shows, I just would never have them. They like assuming that just because someone pirated something, they would buy it if they could not get it for free.

If you can read German, check this out. I use to have a copy of the acutally study but cannot find it.

Edit: Or use google translater and read this in English

Posted Image

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks

That is incorrect though. Out of the 7 people who pirated it and did no later buy it. Most of that 7 would not have bought it even if it could not be pirated. If I could not download load TBs of movies and TV shows, I just would never have them. They like assuming that just because someone pirated something, they would buy it if they could not get it for free.

If you can read German, check this out. I use to have a copy of the acutally study but cannot find it.

Edit: Or use google translater and read this in English

True I have already said that but not as good in my post before that one:

I was just agreeing with kody what he said was also true. I dont read german but I will give the translated version a read when I have more time. Are you german zach?
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Sorry, I missed your post!

I am SWISS!!!german. Got dual citzenship and everything! Dad was born in Switzerland, mum went for citzenship after marriage. I had to confirm my Swiss National status at 18 or lose it, which I did... Not to sure if my sister did that though.... Sadly, my deutsch skills are of tourist survival level at best :(

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

There's also the word-of-mouth factor; even if someone doesn't purchase something and only pirates it, they'll advertise it if they like it. So the company is still making money indirectly.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Yes, it certainly does act has advertising. I am sure many of us here have only watched anime (and even bought it later) that has been recommended through the pirate world.

some examples at a more interpersonal level:
"You must download this series and check it out"
"Grab that off my HDD, I think you will like it"

Posted Image

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
I have always wondered if an anime is not copyrighted in your country if it is pirating to download it as your not breaking the copyright for that anime as its not copyrighted in your country?
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

I have always wondered if an anime is not copyrighted in your country if it is pirating to download it as your not breaking the copyright for that anime as its not copyrighted in your country?

Regardless you are breaking Japan's copyright, and it is still illegal. It just depends on if your country allows you to be tried on your own soil for something off shores or will let you be extradited to face charges in the country of origin.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users