Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How is your Internet?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:53 AM

1MB/s = 1024 KB/s

I was 12 years old when I had a dial up connection I had to reconnect every 2 hours, I wonder if every dial-up connection disconnect after 2 hours?

1 MiB/s = 1024 KiB/s and 1 MB/s is definitely 1000 kB/s. Ages ago they used k and K to differentiate between 1000 and 1024 but using that now is too confusing, still I tend to use kB instead of KB anyway. :P Nowadays you use the 'i' in the middle for the 1024, aka binary, hence it's called kiBIbyte instead of kilobyte.
Also Micro$oft wrongly uses MB as if they were MiB in their Windows OS'es. They simply love to ignore all standardizations. Might be to keep the consistency in their products though. <_<

I never had this 2 hour disconnection issue with my dial-up. Thought it's probably a safety mechanism so you don't accidentally leave your phone line open all day so you're unreachable and get crazy bills at the end of the month.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:53 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Ya, I have been lead to believe that the misconception with the whole 1000vs1024 and Microsoft being retarded is why a HDDs are wrong, ie 2TB HDD comes up as 1.81 (or similar value).

Posted Image

Dragon80

Dragon80

Meitantei

• Trusted Encoders
  • 241 posts
  • 74 thanks
  • Local time: 01:53 AM
running on wireless n

Explorer | Chrome | FireFox = Wireless
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Explorer | Chrome | FireFox = Wired
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Pra7ul

Pra7ul

King of Pirates

• VIP
  • 380 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:23 PM
  • LocationWindmill Village
hmm...

with those download speeds i could download the whole anime directory...though i would require some PB's or EB's [dreaming] :evil:

i am ashamed of posting mine here after looking at those 70-25mbps speeds... :sweat:

Pra7ul.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

iqpq.png

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 06:53 AM

1 MiB/s = 1024 KiB/s and 1 MB/s is definitely 1000 kB/s. Ages ago they used k and K to differentiate between 1000 and 1024 but using that now is too confusing, still I tend to use kB instead of KB anyway. :P Nowadays you use the 'i' in the middle for the 1024, aka binary, hence it's called kiBIbyte instead of kilobyte.
Also Micro$oft wrongly uses MB as if they were MiB in their Windows OS'es. They simply love to ignore all standardizations. Might be to keep the consistency in their products though. <_<

I never had this 2 hour disconnection issue with my dial-up. Thought it's probably a safety mechanism so you don't accidentally leave your phone line open all day so you're unreachable and get crazy bills at the end of the month.

Wow, I never even knew it changed thanks for the information. I guess people use the 1 MB/s = 1000 KB/s because its easier to remember.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
I NEED MORE INTERNETS FOR PRIVATE TRACKER!

If I had two phone lines, I would get two internets. Alas, as a renter I cannot have an extra installed. Perhaps Seedbox is the way.

Posted Image

Cazman

Cazman

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Posted Image

I live in a fairly quiet area of the UK. So yeah, it's not great.

Posted Image

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted Image

I live in a fairly quiet area of the UK. So yeah, it's not great.

You can get better then that I live in the middle of no where in england and I have good internet, you can get it to.

Check here: http://www.productsa...o?topicId=25795
vOEHoGZ.jpg

hattori

hattori

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:23 PM

This is what I am currently using to access the internet... from work. Hahahaha so it is not mine. :(

1948605595.png

What are everyone elses connections like, download/upload limits, how much they like there ISPs, if you are happy with the price, and what ever else!

Hi my ISP is virign network  . Here my speed results
download=1.04Mbps
upload=0.77Mbps
i tested my speed at Scanmyspeed.com  .Is this good or not?

Animefan93

Animefan93

Magical Girl

• VIP
  • 770 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:53 AM
  • LocationUK

Hi my ISP is virign network  . Here my speed results
download=1.04Mbps
upload=0.77Mbps
i tested my speed at Scanmyspeed.com  .Is this good or not?

Try Speedtest.net

See if that gives same or different results. Didnt Virgin upgrade eveyone to 20Mb/s for free??

animefan93.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

7dnghn-5.png

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Local time: 01:53 AM
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Swapping to Comcast in the middle of next week. Same price, huge bump up in speed (18Mbps down -> 50Mbps down / 1.4Mbps up -> 10Mbps up).

Plus I get to use my own modem and router instead of the antiquated brick AT&T forced me into using.

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks

That is a huge jump. I wish I could get more than 12Mbps down, but that is the fastest I can get. The plan I am on us speeds up to 20Mbps, I wish I could have fibre to the home. Come on NBN!!

Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 02:53 AM
im currently sitting on 30/10 from charter, wish i could get a higher up rate but that is something that providers just dont like to give out without a HUGE price increase.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks

What I find craxy is that for the most part, fibre  infrastructure (at least with our NBN) is all passive except for what is in the exchanges and at the home. Supposedly  this makes it easier to  upgrade existing infrastructure to  1Gbps / 10Gbps / 50Gbps / 100Gbps or whatever future demands are by changing the termination devices. The optical splitters etc will work with any light that is beamed down the cable.

So if you already have cable in place and shitty speeds, it is because companies (and Gov) do no see a cost efficient benefit in upgrading at the moment!

I think it first cam about in the 70s but, it is still very young. You still see pretty impressive breakthroughs i.e http://www.newscient.../mg21729104.900

Cable should easily meat the demands for the future; Ultra HD streaming with 22.2 surround sound and everything being DL and hosted/seeded by fast SSDs, cable technology can handle it easy. I look forward to the future but it is taking its sweet arse time.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users