Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BD Anime releases in 720p/1080p

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:50 AM

Not a bad thing! It makes me wonder why they bothered releasing it on bluray at all. More episodes per disc is the only benefit, as I see it.

There still can be benefits to releasing a 4:3 show on Blu-Ray, especially with older (made before 1999 or so) anime that were animated on cels and stored on film. In those cases, the film can be rescanned at a higher resolution, thus making it "True HD." Depending on the original quality and condition of the film, it might not quite be 1080p-worthy, but chances are it'll look better than DVD. Cardcaptor Sakura, which was done on 35mm film instead of the usual 16mm, is supposedly a good example of this.

Newer shows from the early/mid-00s were generally animated digitally in SD resolutions, which means any BD of them has to be upscaled. But that applies equally to 4:3 and 16:9 shows from that era, aside from some exceptions like Twelve Kingdoms, GitS:SAC, and Samurai 7, which were animated in HD. With a good authoring process that doesn't go overboard on damaging filters, Blu-Ray upscales can offer:

* Better upscaling algorithms than what people's DVD players and HDTVs can do
* Fewer compression artifacts, thanks to more efficient codecs and more storage space
* More storage space for lossless audio
* Better color balance, all progressive video (I think), and other minor video advantages

So the thing to do would be to (A.) take the age of the series into account (B.) see what people say about the quality or upscaled nature of the source, and (C.) DL the highest "worthwhile" resolution.

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 02:50 AM

I just got a tv that supports both 720 and 1080p, but no adpters for my laptop to output the full 1080p. I've seen a DVI to HDMI adapter but did not want to buy it. Maybe if I got a MPC or played the files from the external HDD (clearing space from laptop) into the tv or a larger monitor then I would be able to fully utilize the 1080p size.

And like I said in my laptop's screen they look the same, resolution is about 1440x900 I think. If I view in original size the 1080p just blows out of the screen, so I just fit to screen.

Like Pooba and Cman said, ahh, I get it now. But I am mostly watching from close to the screen, I'm the only one that watches anime at home. Plus I'm near sighted, so to watch say from the couch, I have to put on my glasses.

I have an extra computer monitor but at best it may support up to 720p.

when I watch on my mbp I take my glasses off, but when on my desktop I have to use my glasses

ok what I really want to say is dude if you are using the mbp model I think you are, then your max res is 1280x1024 (same as mine) then go for 720p bc you will not be able to tell the difference between the 2, and due to the limitations of the gpu in the mbp then even connecting a monitor/tv that supports 1080p and up will not do anything because the max res for the gpu is 1280x1024 (look like the number above ... well it is lol) and since you (if I remember you saying right) operate on your mbp, then there is no point in getting a higher res encode

hope that helps you

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:50 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia

There still can be benefits to releasing a 4:3 show on Blu-Ray, especially with older (made before 1999 or so) anime that were animated on cels and stored on film. In those cases, the film can be rescanned at a higher resolution, thus making it "True HD." Depending on the original quality and condition of the film, it might not quite be 1080p-worthy, but chances are it'll look better than DVD. Cardcaptor Sakura, which was done on 35mm film instead of the usual 16mm, is supposedly a good example of this.

Newer shows from the early/mid-00s were generally animated digitally in SD resolutions, which means any BD of them has to be upscaled. But that applies equally to 4:3 and 16:9 shows from that era, aside from some exceptions like Twelve Kingdoms, GitS:SAC, and Samurai 7, which were animated in HD. With a good authoring process that doesn't go overboard on damaging filters, Blu-Ray upscales can offer:

* Better upscaling algorithms than what people's DVD players and HDTVs can do
* Fewer compression artifacts, thanks to more efficient codecs and more storage space
* More storage space for lossless audio
* Better color balance, all progressive video (I think), and other minor video advantages

So the thing to do would be to (A.) take the age of the series into account (B.) see what people say about the quality or upscaled nature of the source, and (C.) DL the highest "worthwhile" resolution.

Ahhh! Thank you very much for explaining it! Lets hope they go back and release everything (worthwhile) on bluray!

Posted Image

bliger7gz

bliger7gz

Zoid Pilot

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 199 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 01:50 AM

ok what I really want to say is dude if you are using the mbp model I think you are, then your max res is 1280x1024 (same as mine) then go for 720p bc you will not be able to tell the difference between the 2, and due to the limitations of the gpu in the mbp then even connecting a monitor/tv that supports 1080p and up will not do anything because the max res for the gpu is 1280x1024 (look like the number above ... well it is lol) and since you (if I remember you saying right) operate on your mbp, then there is no point in getting a higher res encode

hope that helps you

It helps, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to plan for the future since I'm moving everything to an eternal HD for archiving. And maybe later get something that does play 1080 like they should.

My current mbp, is the early 2008 macbookpro4,1 Maybe that is what you think I have and what you also have. And yes that is about the max resolution for mine.

Those new mbp with the "retina display" look awesome but no $ at the moment. Ahh, dear Apple, shut up and take my money :D
Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Those new mbp with the "retina display" look awesome but no $ at the moment. Ahh, dear Apple, shut up and take my money :D

There's no real point in having such a ridiculously large display resolution.

It would put some insane stress on your GPU to play video games at 2880x1800 (if it's even supported), and 1080p video would be relatively unimpressive. Sure, you have more workable screen space which would be really useful for things like graphic design, but if you were serious about that then you wouldn't be working off a laptop in the first place. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

bliger7gz

bliger7gz

Zoid Pilot

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 199 posts
  • 0 thanks

There's no real point in having such a ridiculously large display resolution.

It would put some insane stress on your GPU to play video games at 2880x1800 (if it's even supported), and 1080p video would be relatively unimpressive. Sure, you have more workable screen space which would be really useful for things like graphic design, but if you were serious about that then you wouldn't be working off a laptop in the first place. :rolleyes:

I know :backstab:, as far as I like the display on the iPad 3, it doesn't wow the same on the mbp. And I don't like the inside design, there is no room for upgrades, come on apple soldered on RAM, just evil.
I was just joking, being a bit sarcastic as how apple is soo good at selling you new stuff, when your old stuff still works great like my 4 year old mbp.
I don't have money to go around buying a new laptop, gotta save for college. But that's another story.
Posted Image

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 02:50 AM
ah same here i dont have the money to buy a new computer either everything goes to college, gas, and food. but my dad is planning on replacing his mbpro with a different laptop (could not figure out how to use the machine) is going to give me his, that way i dont have to worry about buying a new one. this new one is a year newer with 8gigs of ram so I will be happy.

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users