Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BD Anime releases in 720p/1080p

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

bliger7gz

bliger7gz

Zoid Pilot

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 199 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 10:02 AM
Hey guys, I just been curios about this for quite a while.

Since the coming of BD, there are lots releases and re-encodes of pretty much all series, I see many groups doing releases in both 720p and 1080p when they get a BD available. But are there any significant advantages in getting 1080p over 720p, as far as I know, many BD releases are upscaled (the original was not exactly in 720p/1080p). As far as me watching anime, I do so in my laptop (using headphones like 99% of the time) and both resolutions look the same on screen to me (or its just my eyes), maybe in near future I'll move up to a bigger screen (a high-def TV).

Do you get the smaller 720p or the larger 1080p release?
As for me, for my all time favorites I get even both versions ( 720p for a quick watch and 1080p archiving), but for an OK show that I would watch occasionally then I would get the 720p. Playback for 1080p is not an issue as my laptop handles it well.

I would like what do you guys do, do you get the highest, smallest, or both versions for any or all the show you enjoy. And do you feel that 1080p is worth getting. Mind that the 1080p is also much bigger not in screen size but in hard drive space, and there's not much to spare.

On a note, I see that for 1080p versions, encoders prefer the use of FLAC audio tracks.
Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 09:02 AM
I've never bothered archiving any 1080p.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

lightningblade

lightningblade

King of Lightning

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,345 posts
  • 157 thanks
  • Local time: 11:02 AM
if you ask me the only way you can tell any difference between the 2 is:
1 you have a monitor that supports the 1080p res
2 you have a really good eye (naturally or honed by certain encoders beating the crap into your head and making you notice the tiniest of details (and that would be my case)

lightningblade.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
2588255.png

Pooba

Pooba

Meitantei

• Administrators
  • 281 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Local time: 11:02 AM
  • LocationU.S.A
it also has to do with the size of the monitor/tv and the distance you are from it.i remember cman posted a guide about this before.i cant remember all the distance.

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
Posted Image

yes it is highly dependent on the distance you watch from and the size of the screen. or another way of putting it pixel density over distance. the closer you are the larger the density needs to be to view at best quality.

bliger7gz

bliger7gz

Zoid Pilot

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 199 posts
  • 0 thanks

if you ask me the only way you can tell any difference between the 2 is:
1 you have a monitor that supports the 1080p res

I just got a tv that supports both 720 and 1080p, but no adpters for my laptop to output the full 1080p. I've seen a DVI to HDMI adapter but did not want to buy it. Maybe if I got a MPC or played the files from the external HDD (clearing space from laptop) into the tv or a larger monitor then I would be able to fully utilize the 1080p size.

And like I said in my laptop's screen they look the same, resolution is about 1440x900 I think. If I view in original size the 1080p just blows out of the screen, so I just fit to screen.

Like Pooba and Cman said, ahh, I get it now. But I am mostly watching from close to the screen, I'm the only one that watches anime at home. Plus I'm near sighted, so to watch say from the couch, I have to put on my glasses.

I have an extra computer monitor but at best it may support up to 720p.
Posted Image

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,432 posts
  • 255 thanks
well your poor site might also be a factor in why you can not see a difference but shrinking 1080p to fit on your monitor actually reduces the quality of the 1080p image. that is also another factor you have to keep in mind. to see the best results you need a monitor that is native 1080p or higher.

ANIKI

ANIKI

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 36 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:02 AM
I have to agree on that, 720p is more for laptops then to watch on 1080p monitors or big screen tvs, quality drop tends to show when you watch 720p on higher screen res TVs or monitors. Since I see most of my anime from my laptop I use 720p, a side note, some anime companies release their series in 720p, so if yu see a 1080 from a 720p only series, it was upscaled by the rip group.

Since I cannot afford to buy big storage for my anime I get 720p to save archive them, I have had to get 1080 sometimes as that was the only choice available, the down part is, this laptop can only handle it a bit. It plays it right, but in some scenes with lots of movement or details, it will slow down :sweat:

Posted Image

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 03:02 PM

I would like what do you guys do, do you get the highest, smallest, or both versions for any or all the show you enjoy. And do you feel that 1080p is worth getting. Mind that the 1080p is also much bigger not in screen size but in hard drive space, and there's not much to spare.

I actually try to get 576p or lower wherever it's available. My general policy is to get the best quality release in a resolution I can comfortably play. Or the occasional 720p if other versions aren't available, or the 720p isn't too huge or technically demanding. I don't think I've ever gotten multiple versions of one release in different resolutions. I will DL multiple versions to get separate audio or subtitle translation options, like a TV-fansub and a dual-audio DVD-rip.

But even if I had a better system, I still don't think I'd DL 1080p. Aside from some movies and high-budget OVAs, most anime aren't actually animated in anything approaching 1080p. And just as I don't think upscaling 480i/480p DVD material to 720p adds anything worthwhile, I don't think upscaling 540p/720p content to 1080p is worth the extra bandwidth/storage. Some 1080p release filesizes are ridiculous, like Tenshi's (Coalgirls) lossless Blu-Ray remux of Dantalian no Shoka. It came out to 78.5 GB (for 12 episodes), while the m33w 480p TV release I watched was 1.9 GB. Would I really have enjoyed the show 39 times (or even, say, 6 times) as much if I'd watched Tenshi's release instead? Somehow, I don't think so.

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:02 PM
Quality really depends on the source and your equipment, you average 720p Doki encode may look alright on average Joe's monitor, but it will start to look grainy on a high end monitor.

The 720p/1080p only applies to encodes really, most games and Blu-ray plays on 1080p no matter if it's native or not. When it comes to encodes, if the source is great and clean it doesn't really matter if it's 720p or 1080p no matter if your watching it on an average or high end monitor, only get 1080p if your monitor has a higher resolution than 720p. If your monitor can't do 1920x1080 (or higher), than don't 1080p encodes.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:02 AM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
If quality is your concern, then just jump on the Bakabt forums and see those debates. Very soon you will find out what the source was, what the best encode is and which subs you should be using. They are generally quality nazis. Upscale is basically banned from that place.

Posted Image

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 09:02 AM

If quality is your concern, then just jump on the Bakabt forums and see those debates. Very soon you will find out what the source was, what the best encode is and which subs you should be using. They are generally quality nazis. Upscale is basically banned from that place.

Except don't listen to BakaBT users about quality. BakaBT is usually wrong about what release was best and most releases are biasedly chosen because of their staff working for x-group. Sure they talk a good game about quality, but it's mostly all crap. I don't agree with probably 90% of their choices.

And no, upscale isn't banned. If it was banned there wouldn't be so many series animated further than three years ago with 720p or higher resolution. Heck they've got 720p Hitman Reborn which is SD, and probably even have 720p of Bleach and Naruto (I haven't checked if they do, but if so, well that's all upscales).... just to name a few examples. Hell even a lot of anime released this season isn't even HD. BakaBT forbids anything by FUNi... but for example, one of the series cited for some of the best animated work... FMAB was only animated at 540p... and thus anything higher is upscaled. So yeah... if BakaBT truly banned upscales they would have to remove around 98% of all their 720p or higher releases. >_<

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:02 PM
What Bakabt bans is custom/unofficial upscales, they don't care if the official releases are upscales or not.

ANIKI

ANIKI

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Inactive Member
  • 36 posts
  • 0 thanks
576p is like the max upscaling for DVDs, mostly you will see 480p for those, but yeah you would have to compare on a said monitor or TV, also notice how I mentioned laptop and not HD monitor or 1080p monitors on laptops. The laptop I use is 900p and does 16:9, so when I see 720p I get good quality, depends on the group as well on how much banding they add to their release. Yeah I see Bakabt always contradicts what they mean, I have seen a few crap releases from said so HQ torrents, and in other places it is better quality. Like for example Coalgirls, many argue about their bloated releases, but they do get better quality then most, so I do not mind getting their release, and besides. If you compare 2 episodes on one BD size to their release, it is not that big of a file size IMO. I will not go more into to that, so this will be all I will say and no more :whistle: ^_^

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I try to watch and archive 1080p releases, since I have a huge screen.

Posted Image

Skate101

Skate101

Genin

• Inactive Member
  • 65 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:32 PM
  • LocationIndia
1080p if available, for Dubs which I watch as well as archive and mini 720p for the subs which I watch and then get rid of immediately ...
"Anime is my anti-drug. Because when you're addicted to anime, how can you possibly afford drugs?".....
Ginta Toramizu

M.A.L

Posted Image

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
There are those blu ray releases that still have the shows in 4:3 aspect ration, my FMP blurays are like that.( I think...)

Posted Image

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 03:02 PM

What Bakabt bans is custom/unofficial upscales, they don't care if the official releases are upscales or not.

If the official BDs are an upscale, though, the chances of a 1080p version getting accepted at BakaBT are considerably reduced. And some studio upscales have been so bad (to the point where the DVDs are better/more detailed) that BD-rips have been disallowed completely.

There are those blu ray releases that still have the shows in 4:3 aspect ratio, my FMP blurays are like that.( I think...)

You say that almost as if it's a bad thing. If the show was made in 4:3 (as the 2002 FMP! series and Fumoffu were), then the Blu-Rays had better be 4:3 as well. Stretching/squashing/cropping to artificially make it 16:9 will irreversibly change/damage the video, and takes away the option of watching the material as it was originally presented. If people really want their screens to be filled, they can zoom/stretch the image themselves. Besides, 960x720 is still 720p, and 1440x1080 is still 1080p.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Not a bad thing! It makes me wonder why they bothered releasing it on bluray at all. More episodes per disc is the only benefit, as I see it.

Posted Image

hhsquall

hhsquall

Hikikomori

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCanada
For archiving purpose, video quality is my highest priority, but not necessarily any 1080p encode is better than 720p. I compare them on my 40" display, and if 1080p is better (generally: pixel noise and grains, lines, details, motion artifacts and smoothness) then I'll definitely archive 1080p.

Don't care much about FLAC though; usually look for a release with high video bitrate and good AAC audio encode :)

Also, whenever I want to watch a small-sized video (older - DVD-rip) on a large screen, I enable 'resizing' option in ffdshow video decoder to resize the video, to the screen size, using Lanczos option for both luma and chroma with tap set to 10. If the video bit rate is not too low, this usually gives crisper result than normal MPC's full-screen resizing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users