Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who are your favorite encoders and why?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

grotesquery

grotesquery

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 02:53 AM

[. . .]
Then as tastes for anime expands into a quest for audio and visual excellence, at a certain point at which the viewer becomes rather obsessive/pedantic, pretentious even, they start to scrutinize and compare various releases at an absurd level.
[. . .]

This certainly seems to be the case in the field pure audio (i.e. audiophiles), where I have more experience--I won't rehearse the various positions, but suffice it to say that while I can certainly appreciate the sonic differences (up to point) in side by side or even strict ABX testing, unless the encoding is egregiously nasty, I'd be hard pressed to say just by listening to a file in isolation that a lossy (but otherwise competent) encoding is necessarily worse or objectionable. The upshot, I suppose, is that I get greater subjective enjoyment and keep my sanity intact!

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:53 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I have been hard pressed to notice significant differences in audio quality with lossy and lossless encodes. Though, the difference exists, just not so much as to reduce the quality of the release. I can only notice the difference when, I compare the audio track through my computer speakers to my real speakers but, as you said lossy sound does not diminish the release. However, having DTS certainly can make a difference if you have the appropriate A/V setup. Therefore, if you are pedantic nut with a good A/V setup, then by all means go for the lossless. I do! It is very much for my subjective enjoyment, it also provides justification to spending exorbitant sums of money on speakers and and a receiver!

Posted Image

roy92

roy92

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 12:23 PM
Woah........ Dub vs. Subs.............

I'll stay out of it...........

TCL encodes are really good considering the size.............

CoalGirls encodes are just way too big.............

OZC encodes are really good........... Especially the DVD ones like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Stars.............

I can't comment on Cman since I haven't downloaded any of his encodes......... I'm actually eager to download his Trigun encodes when he releases them..............

I also want to ask are Anime supreme encodes any good ......... I mean they have archived almost every famous series in dual audio......... So if the encodes are good then it's a good source of anime downloads........... By "good encodes" I mean good video quality.......... I can bear with poor audio........... So anyone familiar with a-s encodes let me know................

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
lol, a lot a periods you have there :P anyway a-S is ok but they tend to make their files too small and you can see it in the video quality. they are also very cookie cutter when it come to encoding anything, same settings for everything, and this can be a problem on some releases that need special attention. overall they are ok but not the best by no means.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 01:53 AM

lol, a lot a periods you have there :P anyway a-S is ok but they tend to make their files too small and you can see it in the video quality. they are also very cookie cutter when it come to encoding anything, same settings for everything, and this can be a problem on some releases that need special attention. overall they are ok but not the best by no means.

I'd have to disagree. a-S is by all means a shit group with terrible releases. Honestly even Exiled Destiny has them beat by a slim margin imho.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

roy92

roy92

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

I'd have to disagree. a-S is by all means a shit group with terrible releases. Honestly even Exiled Destiny has them beat by a slim margin imho.

Thanks for the info........ The poor video quality of a-s is apparent in their Mushhi-shi encodes I have..... But there is no other choice available...... I asked about a-s because of Fate/Stay Night series........ I've ben looking for this series but can't find any working links....... It's not there on BakaBT too... Same goes for Mushishi........

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
OPA did fate stay night in 720p and 1080p. and once our tracker gets past the testing phase i will be posting it on here.

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

OPA did fate stay night in 720p and 1080p. and once our tracker gets past the testing phase i will be posting it on here.

I think I have, ah... Doki's release of F/SN, but I use UTW for everything else (Unlimited Blade Works, Carnival Phantasm, Fate/Zero, Fate/Prototype) because they have the best subs. ;)

I also have to agree with Koby, I can't stand a-S. Bleh.

Posted Image

roy92

roy92

Tsundere

• Inactive Member
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

That will be cool......... Thanks a lot.........

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Local time: 06:53 AM
Any encoder that does not force me to spend 30 - 40 minutes or so to change the defaults audio to Japanese and subs to English that matches the Japanese. You people know who you are and your on my naughty list:

Spoiler

Don't worry sinners if you want presents from Santa all you have to do is release a Japanese patch with your releases and I will forgive you.

I also hate any encoders/fansubbers that don't softsub and people who use vobsubs are horrible lazy people.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Just changes the language audio/sub priorities.

Posted Image

Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn

ローレンス

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • 2 thanks

Just changes the language audio/sub priorities.

Inconsistent encoding makes it impossible to do that, like some people list the Japanese subs as Japanese and other list them as English. Sometimes encoders just leave the Japanese audio as undetermined, so it would just default to the default which would be English or there might list both eng+jap as undetermined.
vOEHoGZ.jpg

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks

Inconsistent encoding makes it impossible to do that, like some people list the Japanese subs as Japanese and other list them as English. Sometimes encoders just leave the Japanese audio as undetermined, so it would just default to the default which would be English or there might list both eng+jap as undetermined.

If you dislike English audio that much, why not just look for encodes that don't have it? Unless you're getting older shows where old R1 dual-audio rips are the best-quality version, single-audio rips should be available. You can also set the "Audio and Subtitle Priorities" in Haali to jpn,jpn;jpn,eng, and "Match subtitle track name to audio" to "Yes." That will look for "Japanese" subs first, which will cover the encodes that call the main subs "Japanese," and if it doesn't find them, it'll go to the first "English" subtitle stream (or pick up subtitles named "for Japanese audio" or somesuch). Granted, this won't work for mislabled or "undetermined" streams, but it will work for a lot of the encodes out there. The only other stumbling block would be files with actual genuine Japanese subs, but those are pretty rare.

I also hate any encoders/fansubbers that don't softsub and people who use vobsubs are horrible lazy people.

Is that hatred for groups that hardsub everything, or just groups that don't do 100% softsubs? Imo, hardsubbed karaoke and typesetting look better than softsubs and don't cause lag, but that's just me.

Also, I disagree that groups that encode certain series are lazy for not wanting to spend several hours per episode sorting out OCRed vobsubs and typesetting them, or for not having typesetting skill available. Given the alternative of .srt subs with no formatting that look like absolute shit when there's a lot of text/dialogue/insert songs on the screen, I can't blame them for leaving the vobsubs as-is. Try watching, for instance, RaX's release of Best Student Council or Arigatou's Magikano. Their "glorified .srt" styled textsubs make the series practically unwatchable.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks

You can also set the "Audio and Subtitle Priorities" in Haali to jpn,jpn;jpn,eng, and "Match subtitle track name to audio" to "Yes." That will look for "Japanese" subs first, which will cover the encodes that call the main subs "Japanese," and if it doesn't find them, it'll go to the first "English" subtitle stream (or pick up subtitles named "for Japanese audio" or somesuch). Granted, this won't work for mislabled or "undetermined" streams, but it will work for a lot of the encodes out there.

This is exacty what I do. My reply was about to the same as this, but then i read your comment!

Posted Image

mercer1028

mercer1028

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 0 thanks
My favorite encoder is OZC. He's the only encoder that I know of who offers Bonus Materials (which is essential, but nice to have offered). His work always has clean video and audio. I really don't care about subtitles much, as long as I get the jist of what's going on, I'm happy--not that I'm saying OZC has bad subtitles. I also like the choice of his projects like Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing, GITS, Big O, Outlaw Star, and almost everything that has aired on Toonami/MidnightRun/Adult Swim. I do wish he'd do Neon Genesis Evangelion the TV series, though. To be honest, I like most dual audio encoders/groups except for B-A , a4e, and Exiled Destiny--though I'm not sure they currently do projects. I like that THORA has now entered the dual-audio game (about time). I like DorianHD, which I think used to be DBNL, though their recent releases tend to have a lot of banding and artifacting. I like Cman's Samurai Champloo and Trigun (when he was apart of OPA). I like Coalgirls' FLCL, Serial Experiments Lain, and FMA Brotherhood. Well, you guys get the point. As long as you're dual audio, chances are that I'll like your stuff.

*Note* One more thing: I despise groups that splice/hardcode the names of their group, or where they can be reached, into the video (i.e. arigatou@irc.rizon.net). That just ruiins the experience for me.

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks

*Note* One more thing: I despise groups that splice/hardcode the names of their group, or where they can be reached, into the video (i.e. arigatou@irc.rizon.net). That just ruins the experience for me.

They're the ones who did the hard work of obtaining/encoding/releasing the DVD or BD-rip (plus any additional subtitle work) for your free enjoyment. Why shouldn't they deserve a little recognition? Have you not seen any pre-2007 or so TV-fansubs, wherein the majority of groups added their name/logo and credits for translators and such to the videos?

E-D is still doing some projects here and there, a4e releases once in a blue moon, and I'm fairly sure B-A's gone inactive.

mercer1028

mercer1028

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 0 thanks

They're the ones who did the hard work of obtaining/encoding/releasing the DVD or BD-rip (plus any additional subtitle work) for your free enjoyment. Why shouldn't they deserve a little recognition? Have you not seen any pre-2007 or so TV-fansubs, wherein the majority of groups added their name/logo and credits for translators and such to the videos?

E-D is still doing some projects here and there, a4e releases once in a blue moon, and I'm fairly sure B-A's gone inactive.

I think that there are other ways--less invasive ways--an encoder can make his/her mark. One would be stylizing your subs like OZC, Thora, and niizk. Another is to develop a niche--like Coalgirls doing HD material and always using FLAC audio; Thora does HD and bluray subs; OZC does blurays and remastered content. If you're going to put your name in, then do so in the credits or something, not 5 mintues into the video.

I don't pirate anime because it's free. I'm more than capable enough of buying all the anime I wish to watch. DVDs and Bluray Discs are inconvenient cotainers of media. When I download anime online, I can include them in playlists with other anime and television shows--this is the selling point for me. The day that there's online distribution of anime (SD and HD), similar to iTunes, at a reasonable price, is the day I think most encoders will go out of business.

Zachimillius

Zachimillius

エッチ様

• VIP
  • 2,282 posts
  • 0 thanks
Encoders are not in a business, it something they provide for free. They also, won't go 'our of business' as people will still prefer different subs, different audio quality, video quality, file sizes etc etc. Encoders do not simply provide the content for us free of charge, they adjust it to our preferences. Well, technically it is more often their preferences but, you choose the release which best suits what you want. The advent mass online anime distribution and reasonable prices, will see people move away from the pirate scene, but many of us will stay. I will, I want good subs, good audio and good video, not caring about how big or small a file might be, as long as it what i see as the best.

Posted Image

13ack.Stab

13ack.Stab

Assassin

• Administrators
  • 1,719 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMichigan, USA

I think that there are other ways--less invasive ways--an encoder can make his/her mark. One would be stylizing your subs like OZC, Thora, and niizk. Another is to develop a niche--like Coalgirls doing HD material and always using FLAC audio; Thora does HD and bluray subs; OZC does blurays and remastered content. If you're going to put your name in, then do so in the credits or something, not 5 mintues into the video.

I don't pirate anime because it's free. I'm more than capable enough of buying all the anime I wish to watch. DVDs and Bluray Discs are inconvenient cotainers of media. When I download anime online, I can include them in playlists with other anime and television shows--this is the selling point for me. The day that there's online distribution of anime (SD and HD), similar to iTunes, at a reasonable price, is the day I think most encoders will go out of business.

Wow, this post feels like it's from five or six years ago. Frankly, I'm a little confused -- though I suppose I can understand your perspective if you exclusively download dual-audio releases.

These days, modern fansub groups don't hardsub their group names into their releases, and the grand majority of them typeset and stylize their scripts (and remarkably well, at that -- I'm often impressed by the sheer quality of even speedsub-ish releases like those by Commie). Since DVDs are of generally lower quality than HDTV content, there's hardly any point in purchasing them (or encoding from them) for shows that have been aired, and a lot of these groups revisit their work when Blu-Rays are released.

Moreover, while the crowd here at AnimePassion is a little different from the norm in that we have an abundance of encoders and not full-blown fansubbing groups, we share a sort of kinship in that we derive no monetary gain from what we do; we work at largely our own expense to release anime to the community because we love anime and enjoy working on it.

Posted Image

mercer1028

mercer1028

Team Dai-Gurren Soldier

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 0 thanks

Encoders are not in a business, it something they provide for free. They also, won't go 'our of business' as people will still prefer different subs, different audio quality, video quality, file sizes etc etc. Encoders do not simply provide the content for us free of charge, they adjust it to our preferences. Well, technically it is more often their preferences but, you choose the release which best suits what you want. The advent mass online anime distribution and reasonable prices, will see people move away from the pirate scene, but many of us will stay. I will, I want good subs, good audio and good video, not caring about how big or small a file might be, as long as it what i see as the best.

Wow, this post feels like it's from five or six years ago. Frankly, I'm a little confused -- though I suppose I can understand your perspective if you exclusively download dual-audio releases.

These days, modern fansub groups don't hardsub their group names into their releases, and the grand majority of them typeset and stylize their scripts (and remarkably well, at that -- I'm often impressed by the sheer quality of even speedsub-ish releases like those by Commie). Since DVDs are of generally lower quality than HDTV content, there's hardly any point in purchasing them (or encoding from them) for shows that have been aired, and a lot of these groups revisit their work when Blu-Rays are released.

Moreover, while the crowd here at AnimePassion is a little different from the norm in that we have an abundance of encoders and not full-blown fansubbing groups, we share a sort of kinship in that we derive no monetary gain from what we do; we work at largely our own expense to release anime to the community because we love anime and enjoy working on it.

I never meant to suggest that encoders do what the do for money--though I see how you came to that conclusion based on what I said. I only meant that the need for fansubs/fansubing groups/encoders would diminish if there were many established online distributers of anime. And Zachimillius, you're right: many people would still prefer different subs, video & audio quality. But hopefully, through the competition of what would be many online distributers, trends will be set. So crappy subs will be unacceptable; a standard of video and audio quality would be required; availability of content would be paramount, because your failiure to keep up will grant your competitors an opportunity to poach market share. Will there still be free-lance encodes and fansbus? Of course. Just not as much as there are now.

I hate the inference that because you download, "you're a cheap bastard" or you're "bankrupting the anime industry." There's so much to understand about downloading and online distribution of content that simply reducing it to "piracy" is just completely shortsighted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users