Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who are your favorite encoders and why?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 985 thanks
  • Local time: 11:51 PM
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia
I don't think Koby said anything that there was anything wrong with it. He was just saying that a lot of Jose's releases are remuxes and retimes.

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 07:51 AM

does it really matter? i brought HD releases to dub watchers where there wouldn't be an HD dub...

That's true, big majority of BD Box released in Japan only have Japanese audio, I really can't understand why they don't include the english audio, Shuffle!, Last Exile and Ergo Proxy BD Box include the English and Japanese audio, Last Exile even include the German audio as well. So why the Kanon or Air BD Boxes didn't include the english audio?

I see alot of series who get encodes re-releases from the Blu-ray, but with subtitles only and I refuse to watch these shows when knowing that the dub is out there, just not on Blu-ray. The only time I watch subs, is when there is no alternative (either the show was never licensed, it was licensed but released with subs only or it wasn't released yet but it was licensed by a company that only release animes with subs, like NIS America.)

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 01:51 AM

I don't think Koby said anything that there was anything wrong with it. He was just saying that a lot of Jose's releases are remuxes and retimes.

^ This.

I'm eternally grateful for the work Jose has provided us. I've never attempted audio syncs before so many of those syncs we'd otherwise never have had.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Local time: 08:51 AM
  • LocationEurope

The way he wrote about it gave me the impression.
*readsKoby'spostsagain* ...but he didn't say it, right.

^ This.

I have a multipack of apologies on my desk, Koby.
Want some? :)

So why the Kanon or Air BD Boxes didn't include the english audio?

Maybe because of licensing issues (the English dubs belong to someone else).
Another reason could be market control:
If the DVD or the TV-rights of the standard resolution are still selling well outside of Japan, there is no need to offer a better version yet.
No company wants to lose money and so they try to prevent the rest of the world from buying/importing their new products for a while.
They can region-lock the BD (B and C), but Japan and America share the same region (A), and so they have to exclude the English dub (or French and Spanish) from the disc.

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
My most favourite encoder is AtsA because he provides high quality encodes with great fansubs (mostly from static subs, since he's also their encoder) in very small file sizes.
He also doesn't use lossless FLAC audio tracks, as some encoders seem to like adding to their lossy video even when only 0.01% of all anime watchers can hear the difference between lossless and properly encoded AAC or Vorbis. The rest only pretends they do.. <_<
And the best thing is that he doesn't add any english audio either... But I guess everyone here would dislike that fact. :P

Posted Image

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

He also doesn't use lossless FLAC audio tracks, as some encoders seem to like adding to their lossy video even when only 0.01% of all anime watchers can hear the difference between lossless and properly encoded AAC or Vorbis. The rest only pretends they do..

They can't, but their Asian cats can hear the difference when they are watching some anime together. Never forget the cats, pinny, NEVER :P

I don't have a cat, but I love flac for the fact that it's lossless, 'cause I wanna collect and preserve my anime for the future.
Maybe in a few years, after college, I will be having a €10.000 sound system that makes the differences audible to me as well.

Pooba

Pooba

Meitantei

• Administrators
  • 281 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Local time: 02:51 AM
  • LocationU.S.A
idk,i like flac if its something subbed from japan just cuz it cost so much for R2,but if its R1 then ill just use ac3 or aac just for the fact that anime doesnt cost that much,even blu ray for a box set is priced pretty good so if you want the best audio,test out the series from a encode then go buy it,support the companies that dub all the anime for us to enjoy.its what i do for the most part (or netflix).now if its something that wont get a blu ray release here just dvd,then i dont see a problem with having flac or ac3.

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks

They can't, but their Asian cats can hear the difference when they are watching some anime together. Never forget the cats, pinny, NEVER :P

I don't have a cat, but I love flac for the fact that it's lossless, 'cause I wanna collect and preserve my anime for the future.
Maybe in a few years, after college, I will be having a €10.000 sound system that makes the differences audible to me as well.

I guess that settles it: I have no cats, so I don't need flac.
Maybe in the future though :(

I can understand you wanting to collect anime more than you can imagine. I've been collecting and struck my ~17TB limit (due to hard drive prices I haven't wanted to upgrade it yet).
This is also a reason why I strayed from lossless audio. And since I can't hear the difference myself, even on my ~1000 EUR sound system, to conserve what little space I have left I choose lossy. :P (I have already needed to delete most famous anime from my collection Q_Q)

Posted Image

Hark0n

Hark0n

Meitantei

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationLatvia

Exactly my thoughts, except I haven't decided about sound system.

I can understand you wanting to collect anime more than you can imagine. I've been collecting and struck my ~17TB limit (due to hard drive prices I haven't wanted to upgrade it yet).
This is also a reason why I strayed from lossless audio. And since I can't hear the difference myself, even on my ~1000 EUR sound system, to conserve what little space I have left I choose lossy. (I have already needed to delete most famous anime from my collection Q_Q)

I recently read that HDD prices will stay high for pretty long time :cry:. One of my HDD's is as good as dead and I need replacement, so I have no choice but to buy.

On the matter of encoders - no one has mentioned Virus123. He is the founder of group called Broken (previously Virus123). He also does encoding for Kira-Fansub sometimes. Reasonable file size and FLAC audio. Some dual-audio projects and probably the best 1080p versions of Gosick (10-bit, FLAC - only 11.7 GiB) and Eve no Jikan Movie (10-bit, FLAC - only 1.5 GiB).

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

idk,i like flac if its something subbed from japan just cuz it cost so much for R2,but if its R1 then ill just use ac3 or aac just for the fact that anime doesnt cost that much,even blu ray for a box set is priced pretty good so if you want the best audio,test out the series from a encode then go buy it,support the companies that dub all the anime for us to enjoy.its what i do for the most part (or netflix).now if its something that wont get a blu ray release here just dvd,then i dont see a problem with having flac or ac3.

I think you forgot that about half of this community doesn't live in the US.
Even if they are in English speaking countries it doesn't mean that they get the same releases, if any, as you.
Who are we supposed to support, if there are almost NO companies that want to sell us anime?
I can tell about some parts of Europe (esp. UK, Germany and France), and here we only get a handful of the anime you have.
Mostly Ghibli movies, some series like Fullmetal, stuff like Naruto, Dragonball, One Piece and shitloads of hentai.
And the PAL releases often have crappy quality as the source is actually NTSC.
Blu-ray releases don't have this format differences anymore, but then again, what releases?
This is why I don't think that we have to support those companies.
They don't care about other First- or Second World countries in which we live in, and don't want our money.

Edit: I've imported US releases several times and I will do it again - just for the records. I'm only talking about the moral aspect. :)

Edit2: Tell me if I'm going too much off-topic :P

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks

Who are we supposed to support, if there are almost NO companies that want to sell us anime?
I can only tell about some parts of Europe (esp. UK, Germany and France), and we only get a handful of the anime you have.

I would like to buy some animes too, but between the shipping price and VAT import tax, I don't think so! Not too mention, most retailers don't ship outside the US and Canada.

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks
I will never buy anime from US retailers due to unnecessary bloat like english dubs and also their americanized liberal subtitles.
If anything, to support the anime scene, I would import blu-rays from japan and put them on a shelf somewhere. And I would still watch the fansubs. :P
Not to mention that buying anime in local stores here is just as expensive, if not more, as importing them. <_<

Posted Image

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

I would import blu-rays from japan and put them on a shelf somewhere. And I would still watch the fansubs. :P
Not to mention that buying anime in local stores here is just as expensive, if not more, as importing them. <_<

You're right, the prices are ridiculous!
I also put my DVDs/BDs on a shelf, because nobody makes better anime releases than remuxers, encoders and fansubbers :unworthy:

Ha! Now we are back on-topic again :lol:

Pooba

Pooba

Meitantei

• Administrators
  • 281 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Local time: 02:51 AM
  • LocationU.S.A
lol,well to get on subject,i really dont hate any encoder or groups out there,everyone has there own beliefs on how a encode should be done then i again i havent downloaded a series from anyone in probably year either lol.i still respect the other people trying to get anime to the people that cant afford or have access to buy anime.like ED and A-S,ill admit they could do things to improve thier work but they do get releases out faster then anyone even with adc going down for the short period of time alot of groups was pushing things out which means they was using money out thier pockets to buy it so thier fans can enjoy,so they get my respect for that. (trying not to be a hater)

as for fansubbers,i really can't say who is bad or not since i dont speak japanese.Dub for life.

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks

Dub for life.

Hell yeah.

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:51 AM

I will never buy anime from US retailers due to unnecessary bloat like english dubs

What about all the series that are being released in the US without English dubs these days? And even with English dubs, it's still like an 80% discount off the price of the Japanese releases.

and also their americanized liberal subtitles.

Translating "Itadakimasu" doesn't make something Americanized. In my experience with R1 subs, many may drop honorifics and use Western name order, but the actual writing of the subs is still fairly stiff and literal. And these days, some fansubs are more liberal than typical US/R1 subs.

And the best thing is that [AtsA] doesn't add any English audio either... But I guess everyone here would dislike that fact.

I would imagine most around here don't archive on CD-Rs and aren't bothered by a few hundred extra MB of lossy audio on their HDDs. But there's nothing wrong with not adding English audio to sources that don't have it; it's actively cutting English audio out when it's in the source that puts an encode in outdated 2003 "everybody has $350 160 GB HDDs" territory.

That's true, big majority of BD Box released in Japan only have Japanese audio, I really can't understand why they don't include the english audio, Shuffle!, Last Exile and Ergo Proxy BD Box include the English and Japanese audio, Last Exile even include the German audio as well. So why the Kanon or Air BD Boxes didn't include the english audio?

In most licensing contracts that I've heard about, the original producers retain rights to foreign-market translations such as dubs and subtitles. That's why every time an R1 company has "rescued" a show that was previously licensed by another company, they've been able to include the old English dub on their release. As to why some JP BD boxes have English audio and others don't, I don't know -- it's likely not a legal issue, just an issue of whether they want to include it or think it's worth the trouble. It may depend on how the Japanese fanbase reacts the English dubs -- there are otaku over there who follow English-language VAs and prefer some English individual or cast performances over the Japanese versions.

pinny

pinny

Cardcaptor

• VIP
  • 333 posts
  • 0 thanks

What about all the series that are being released in the US without English dubs these days? And even with English dubs, it's still like an 80% discount off the price of the Japanese releases.

Feel free to post me any links to sites that have these AND ship internationally for fair prices and I might buy them.

Translating "Itadakimasu" doesn't make something Americanized. In my experience with R1 subs, many may drop honorifics and use Western name order, but the actual writing of the subs is still fairly stiff and literal. And these days, some fansubs are more liberal than typical US/R1 subs.

I'm talking about translating kilometers to miles, a japanese saying to a completely different english saying, and many others things which I cba to remember.
And yes, these days most fansub groups are pretty idiotic indeed. Which is exactly why I only choose fansubs from groups that aren't like gg etc.

I would imagine most around here don't archive on CD-Rs and aren't bothered by a few hundred extra MB of lossy audio on their HDDs. But there's nothing wrong with not adding English audio to sources that don't have it; it's actively cutting English audio out when it's in the source that puts an encode in outdated 2003 "everybody has $350 160 GB HDDs" territory.

Anything I don't need I don't want. I have filled up my 17TB of drives (which won't increase in the near future due to HDD prices) and I keep downloading more, so the space needs to get cleared somehow, in which case I prefer removing unnecessary stuff rather than any huge rare files I have obtained. Also another reason for not wanting it is when I share my files with my friends I don't want them to have the option of watching it in english ;)

Posted Image

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 985 thanks
  • Local time: 11:51 PM
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia

Also another reason for not wanting it is when I share my files with my friends I don't want them to have the option of watching it in english ;)

Ouch.

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope
(Watch the goddam sub!).... :whip: :sweat: ....(Yes, pinny.)

I always watch anime with English dubs, if available. If I wanted to read subtitles, I would rather read mangas instead.
A big advantage of not being a native speaker in English is, that I don't hear how crappy some voice acts actually are and, thus, can fully enjoy them ;)

CTalon

CTalon

Shadowthrone Companion

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 04:51 PM
  • LocationAustralia
eccon, lol at your flash manga. :D
But seriously, agree with you; english audio if there.
If not then reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users