Welcome to AnimePassion
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who are your favorite encoders and why?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

Rebound

Rebound

Genin

• Inactive Member
  • 66 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Local time: 12:55 AM
  • LocationHouston TX
I normally do not make topics but I have been curious about this for a long time now. In other words, I do not know a lot of "good" trustworthy encodes other then some of the encoders on this site. Only encoders I trust/download from for Dual Audio/English are:

Joseole99 = I trust this person the most for some reason. I guess every time I see his encodes they end up almost perfect to me. Some of his older encodes though (like Mahoromatic for example) ended up having a lot of issues with my PC. Plus, the video size for that were between 700-900 MB just for 720p! I believe Air was another one as well however your newer encodes are amazing!

Forge = Absolutely love this guy as well. I would download any encodes from him on the spot. In conclusion, I have never seen a mistake from this guy although it would be nice if you upload your files to better hosting sites like Jumbofiles for example instead of FileFactory which normally gives me problems downloading sometimes!

Cman = I have actually recently begin to give this guy a chance on his 720p release of Elfed Lied and boy was I surprised on how good it looked for an upscale release. I definitely would like to see more works from him! His typesetting could use some work although that was not an issue in my case since I normally watch dub animes without subtitles.

Skylord = I usually download his encodes as a last resort mainly because he usually does mini 720p video which has noticeable video quality loss. Still, I would prefer getting his m720p version then getting a 480p version or nothing at all.

OZC (at least somewhat anyway) = The only two things I have downloaded from OZC was Code Gress and Black Lagoon (His Code Gress R1 release though sure did looked blurry for some reason however his R2 release was amazing). Other then that, I did not bother with his other series mainly because I was not interested on the other ones he has done. I have heard that BluDragon had actually encoded some of his encoders better and yet I have not downloaded everything from him yet which brings me to the next topic...

List of people I will/might try:

Bludragon = Heard a lot of good stuff from you so I will definitely give some of your encodes a try in the future.

TCL (TheChaosLegion) = I heard good things from him but I was not sure if I should trust him or not so I have yet to download anything from him yet. I will most likely give this dude a try very soon.

Anime Anarachy = I have actually NEVER downloaded anything from them yet because I was not sure if their group encodes anime well or not. Would like someone to tell me more about this group and their style.

CoalGirls = I heard that this group only does sub anime but I am not sure. Would like to get an answer if they do.

Doki = Same case as CoalGirls. Someone please tell me if they do.

Thora = Same case as Doki. Someone please tell me if they do.

Koby = I have heard good things from you but I have also heard that you tend to reduce video quality if the file itself was too big for you (or maybe it was audio? Can't remember). Not trying to sound mean or something. Just something I have heard which is the main reason I have not downloaded anything from you yet. Please tell me if this is true or not and tell me what you normally do for your encodes if you do not mind lol.

Those are the only people I can think of. It would be nice to know if they are other good encoders out there as well which is another reason why I have made such a topic. Also, I hope that my comments/opinions to some of the encodes does not offend anyone. Keep in mind that I am somewhat new to this stuff and so I kind of what thoughts/answers lol.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • Local time: 01:55 AM

Koby = I have heard good things from you but I have also heard that you tend to reduce video quality if the file itself was too big for you (or maybe it was audio? Can't remember). Not trying to sound mean or something. Just something I have heard which is the main reason I have not downloaded anything from you yet. Please tell me if this is true or not and tell me what you normally do for your encodes if you do not mind lol.

No, I'm all for video quality. I just see no point in having 6GB of audio on a 2GB video file for example (CoalGirls does this often, especially Tenshi). So I do AAC 320kbps instead of the Bloat of DTS. However I do release audio packs (at least for ef~) so audiophiles who want untouched audio can remux.

I do not encode based on file size, and I'll never do mini-encodes. I encode using MeGUI+Avisynth and my settings and filters are dependent on the source. On ef ~ for example iirc I went with CRF=16 and file size averaged anywhere from like 320-440 MB with the AAC audio, or around 800-900 MB with the DTS audio.

---

As for TCL, I wouldn't judge his abilities based on his old encodes. Wait and check out some of his upcoming releases he'll be doing under the Kametsu tag. He's improved quite a bit.

AnimeAnarchy is dead and gone.

CoalGirls sucks. Amateur encoders who use bad settings and extremely bloat files (26GB movie anyone?)

Doki is terrible (as a fansub group). They need to shoot their editor.

Thora is sometimes decent.

BluDragon usually either bloats or simply remuxes the blu-ray. I tend to stay away from his work.

Joseole99, most of his releases weren't actually encoded by him. Or at least the majority of his older Blu-ray works. He typically just grabbed some fansub groups release and synced the English DVD audio to them.

Forge is great.

Cman is great.

OZC is typically really good.

Skylord, I do not download minis.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Now you have come here, and steal my reason to die, too?!

Hark0n

Hark0n

Meitantei

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 08:55 AM
  • LocationLatvia
Bludragon - stays close to source. Good video and audio quality, but large file size. Good for hardware playback, since he uses formats like AC-3, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-MA, PCM for audio and picture based subtitles for most of his project. Usually dual-audio releases, with very few exceptions.

CoalGirls - they do sub and dub, but it depends on Anime. TV shows get subs only if they are currently released in Japan and there is no dub, while for older shows with English dub available it can go both ways. For movies they often do dual-audio or even multi-audio. Like Bludragon they also tries to be close to source - high video bitrate and lossless audio (FLAC).
As Koby mentioned - very large files can be expected.

Doki - no dual-audio as far as I know. They are fansub and encoder group so their project quality differs.

Doki is terrible (as a fansub group). They need to shoot their editor.

Their site lists 10 editors, not all of them are bad. It depends on show - some bad some good, you have to watch before judging.

Thora - about the same as CoalGirls, but with smaller file sizes. Dual-audio releases are not the majority.

P.S. These are my personal options and observations. I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Rebound

Rebound

Genin

• Inactive Member
  • 66 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationHouston TX
@Koby: Thank you for the response. I think I can definitely trust your encodes now seeing that you are one of those people who actually cares more about video quality then audio (which are the kinds of encoders I like). I will also give TCL a chance as well since you seem confident that he has improved quite a bit. Cman and Forge are people I will always trust it terms of video encoding and I will continue to download more from them. If OZC ends up encoding another series that I enjoy then I will definitely download from him as well. Also about joseole99, I noticed that his older releases had some issues that I did not like however his newer ones seems to be really good so I will most likely only grab his later releases. I think I will stay away from Thora, Doki, CoalGirls and maybe a few of bluDragons but not all since I do know that he has some great releases.

One last thing, I have seen a few ~AA~ encoders laying around somewhere, should I trust their encode? I know they are dead and everything but when they were alive, were they actually good encoders or bad and if bad, why?

@Hark0n: Thanks for the infomation regarding those encoders. I think I will stay away from coalgirls, thora and doki though. Bludragon I will probably just convert his audio files to AAC for his good encodes since I do have some faith in him in terms of video quality (which is the most important).

PS: I would like to hear more opinions from other members as well! This thread is making me happy lol

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

have seen a few ~AA~ encoders laying around somewhere, should I trust their encode? I know they are dead and everything but when they were alive, were they actually good encoders or bad and if bad, why?

They were okay. Their encodes were usually unfiltered and often uncropped so rather close to the original. They also just used the default dvd/blu-ray subs (vob/sup) rather than take the time to work on them in ass format. I think they could be compared to earlier works from Arigatou, although unlike Arigatou they didn't watermark their releases.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg
Social Networks: [Facebook] [Twitter] [MyAnimeList] [MALgraph] [Steam] [Trakt.tv]
You bastards You stole my sisters horn and stole my reason to live, but that wasnt enough?

Megagold5

Megagold5

Cardcaptor

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Local time: 07:55 AM
  • LocationUK
TCL has always been my favourite, didn't know he was coming back though...to Google!

Forge, OZC and Jose are always good too. Dunno about Koby, don't think I have ever downloaded one of his. Somewhat limited views of Cman's encodes, so can't really comment, although I was not a fan of his Soul Eater ones at the time.

megagold5.jpg

megagold5.png

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 02:55 AM
very interesting thread. but as i am an encoder myself i'll just keep my opinions to myself this time. but if you are an active part of this community you probably already know where i stand on the majority of the ones listed here.

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

Joseole99, most of his releases weren't actually encoded by him. Or at least the majority of his older Blu-ray works. He typically just grabbed some fansub groups release and synced the English DVD audio to them.

:shock: No shit?!

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks

One last thing, I have seen a few ~AA~ encoders laying around somewhere, should I trust their encode? I know they are dead and everything but when they were alive, were they actually good encoders or bad and if bad, why?l

Their Blu-ray HD encodes were pretty good, their DVD encodes on the other hand was even worse than what Exiled-Destiny releases (check their DVD encodes of Aquarian Age). They are pretty similar to Argigatou, RaX and ACX.

Rebound

Rebound

Genin

• Inactive Member
  • 66 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationHouston TX

They were okay. Their encodes were usually unfiltered and often uncropped so rather close to the original. They also just used the default dvd/blu-ray subs (vob/sup) rather than take the time to work on them in ass format. I think they could be compared to earlier works from Arigatou, although unlike Arigatou they didn't watermark their releases.

Oh I see, thank you for that information. I have heard of Arigatou but I remember not liking one of their releases for some reason. I forgot the reason why but I am sure that it had something to do with a playback issue on my part or something that had to do with video size being way too high. Do you happen to know any other good encoders out there that I did not mention on this thread? I would really love to know a few more names!

very interesting thread. but as i am an encoder myself i'll just keep my opinions to myself this time. but if you are an active part of this community you probably already know where i stand on the majority of the ones listed here.

I am glad that you find this thread interesting. I think I have a great idea on where you stand! ;)

:shock: No shit?!

I actually was not aware of this so I am quite glad that Koby took the time to tell me about that. Thanks for posting though! It would be nice to hear your thoughts about the encoders listed above or better yet, list more encoders that are not listed in this thread that you think I should know about.

Their Blu-ray HD encodes were pretty good, their DVD encodes on the other hand was even worse than what Exiled-Destiny releases. They are pretty similar to Argigatou, RaX and ACX.

Never heard of RaX and ACX however I am happy that you have mentioned those people to me. I will keep a lookout for their Blue-Ray releases!

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

Their Blu-ray HD encodes were pretty good, their DVD encodes on the other hand was even worse than what Exiled-Destiny releases (check their DVD encodes of Aquarian Age). They are pretty similar to Argigatou, RaX and ACX.

You quoted me wrong. I think you meant Reboundsan.

Rebound

Rebound

Genin

• Inactive Member
  • 66 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationHouston TX
@eccon: It would be nice to hear your opinions about those encoders though or mention a few more people that I have missed.

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope

@eccon: It would be nice to hear your opinions about those encoders though or mention a few more people that I have missed.

See, I think that everyone does a great job. Just different styles for different tastes, and that's a good thing.
I've been a member of AnimePassion for almost two years and I value and prefer the work of the people I know and I can talk to.
So I will always tap the encodes from "Captain Redbeard" (sounds like an idea for a new gif ;)), :forge: , :jose: and Co, as long as the they have the best quality at a reasonable filesize.

Cman21

Cman21

/)*(\ ^_^

• Administrators
  • 2,431 posts
  • 255 thanks
  • Local time: 02:55 AM
DUDE! captain red beard sounds awesome!!!

Forge

Forge

Now with 50% more win!

• Trusted Encoders
  • 950 posts
  • 986 thanks
  • Local time: 11:55 PM
  • LocationSunny, Sunny Kalifornia
Heh. A year and a half ago (or roundabouts) I didn't even know what the hell x264 was, so I guess I've learned correctly.

baldur

baldur

Duelist

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 0 thanks
Typically my favorite encoders do dual audio, Joseole99 and Forge are my favorite for quality.

But I also download quite a bit from Anime Supreme, Exiled-Destiny, Arigatou, RaX, and ACX if there is no better quality encodes out there.

I can't talk about Cman or OZC because I haven't downloaded too much stuff from them, but the quality seem to be onpar with Joseole99 and Forge (except for that atrocious Code Geass 720p release, which was the only alternative as I couldn't play 1080p at the time).

Zalis

Zalis

Mushi

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 06:55 AM

CoalGirls = I heard that this group only does sub anime but I am not sure. Would like to get an answer if they do.

Doki = Same case as CoalGirls. Someone please tell me if they do.

Thora = Same case as Doki. Someone please tell me if they do.

CoalGirls: will generally include English audio if it's in the source, aside from some releases like Heroic Age 720p where "I don't care about file sizes" encoder Tenshi decided to cave into some whiners on the blog and leave out the English track to let people save a few CD-Rs. Cgi will not add/sync English audio in where it's not in the source.

Doki: I think they included the English as a separate download with Haruhi, but they tend to leave it out more often than not. Like with Shuffle! (which had the Eng audio on the JP Blu-Rays), they said "I don't see why people are looking for English DUB audio from a Fan SUBtitle group," even though the release in question was a rip using another group's subs.

Thora: Some of their newer releases are multi-audio, but older ones (like Utawarerumono) are CDR-scrimping releases. Supposedly they have English tracks as separate downloads in their IRC channel, but I've never checked as I've never DLed any Thora releases.

Among all his releases, I'd estimate that the remux/new encode percentage is about 50/50.

Koby

Koby

Beyond the Grave

• Trusted Encoders
  • 1,195 posts
  • 71 thanks

Among all his releases, I'd estimate that the remux/new encode percentage is about 50/50.

I'd say more like 80/20 at best. I have a huge portion of his releases on my bot.

Z0SZ1y4.jpg

joseole99

joseole99

Dual Bringer

• Moderators
  • 339 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 11:55 PM
  • LocationGolden, CO

I'd say more like 80/20 at best. I have a huge portion of his releases on my bot.

does it really matter? i brought HD releases to dub watchers where there wouldn't be an HD dub...

eccon

eccon

エ コ ン

• VIP
  • 273 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEurope
Jose made/makes good releases better. I don't see what's wrong with it either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users